Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nevin Beaver
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finishing up painting my Kickstarter Set with my son while introducing him to the show. So once we get the figures finally painted up, I will try to re-introduce him to the game.

My question is - what rules do you use or not use when you play?

I was thinking about ditching the hand-to-hand rules while using the revised blast rules. I really liked the games simplistic ruleset but it started approaching weed territory with the melee stuff and the original blast rules seemed ridiculous.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
What are the revised blast rules? Haven't heard of that. I use all the rules. The game still plays fast and the H2H isn't bad really. Each roll a d6 plus skill. It's pretty simple really.

Found the updated blast.

I like how the male power armor in the examples uses the smaller base but I think the female power armor comes with the larger. Can they just not make up their minds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The melee rules generally "work", but are overly complex and a waste of time, IMO.

The blast rules as written in the rulebook are a total sh*t-show and should be avoided at all cost. Even their updated / errata blast rules are a total mess (I think they are 3+ pages long and still don't work well) and are prob best left as if they never existed.

Our group partially avoided even using blast weapons and then house ruled them when we did. As always - some folks were happy and some were not and the game largely died off. :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of the rules work pretty well and make for a fun game.

I simplified hand-to-hand a lot. Namely, down to all mecha following these rules with these attack options:

Melee Attack: 3 MD
Body Block: 2 MD, pushes target D6"
Grab: 0 MD, follows regular Grab rules. Only available to mecha with hands.

Mecha without arms are limited to 2 melee attacks per activation.
Mecha with arms can make 3 melee attacks per activation.
As usual, attacks past the first cost 1 command point each.

Any special abilities apply on top of these; so the Spartan with +2 damage would make Strong Attacks for 5 and Basic Attacks for 4.

It works out very close to how HtH would actually be used in the game, but is a lot simpler.

===============================

I wrote up these blast rules, but haven't playtested them very much:

* When firing a blast weapon, place the blast template and make an attack roll (or set of rolls for a volley) that is applied to every target underneath the template.

* Blasts do not deviate. (This is a blast area covering a whole city block worth of space being fired at a range of under a few miles with super-tech guidance systems. I'm perfectly fine assuming that the blast template abstractly represents the general area under attack and there won't be sufficient deviation to matter).

* For multiple blast shots in a volley, resolve them as a single hit with +1 MD per shot that hits past the first. As usual, the roll to dodge against the volley is made against the single highest die in the volley.

Example: A mecha fires 4 missles with MD 9 and gets 3 hits on a target. The attack does 11 damage; 9 for the first missile +2 for the extra 2 hits.

* Anti-missile systems protect only the mecha using them, not other mecha in the blast area.

Simplifies blast weapons a lot. Keeps single-shot blast weapons as good as they should be, but down-powers the ridiculous damage of volley blast weapons and makes the choice of how many missiles to fire with Volley X blasts a bit harder.

===============================

If you are starting with small games to learn, I recommend using more Command Points that the rules give you. For a basic 2 Valkyrie vs. 6 Battlepods game, I found it worked well to give the UEDF 3 CP for each Valkyrie and the Zent's 1 CP per pod. This gave an exciting game that leaned slightly to the UEDF's favor. Allowing the Zent's to reinforce the first pod they lost back into play gave a more balanced game.

Incidentally, congrats on getting your set assembled and painted! I just built another two models last weekend, giving me a whopping 3 Valkyries with all modes assembled. (6 pods and 1 Glaug on the Zent side).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
How is h2h overly complex or even doesn't work? It's no harder than group fire or any other system in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RockstarSuperVillain wrote:
How is h2h overly complex or even doesn't work? It's no harder than group fire or any other system in this game.

There are a large number of hand-to-hand attacks, and the stats for each are not listed on the stat cards. This requires a lot of checking stats, and is mostly pointless; it's pretty much going to average out to 3 damage per attack anyway. Some of the attack options will never realistically be used, and one (power attack) is literally useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
None of the other abilities are written on the cards either. So your argument isn't valid. There are 4+ pages of keywords not on cards NOT counting hand to hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as long as they are consistently bad, then I suppose it's "not valid". LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the other abilities are written on the cards either. So your argument isn't valid. There are 4+ pages of keywords not on cards NOT counting hand to hand.

Yes, having to look up the other abilities is annoying as well and a downside to the game. But at least those abilities have an important effect on the game. The HtH attacks, as mentioned are mostly meaningless.

You can use whatever rules YOU want. I told the OP what rules I used. I am not making an argument, I'm telling you why I don't like them.

(Incidentally, I was able to fit all the keywords on a quick-reference card. And all the HtH stats, but it was still just pointless to be looking them up all the time for so little game effect).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
StormKnight wrote:

If you are starting with small games to learn, I recommend using more Command Points that the rules give you. For a basic 2 Valkyrie vs. 6 Battlepods game, I found it worked well to give the UEDF 3 CP for each Valkyrie and the Zent's 1 CP per pod. This gave an exciting game that leaned slightly to the UEDF's favor. Allowing the Zent's to reinforce the first pod they lost back into play gave a more balanced game.

Or just play how the rules are written and use your reading and understanding skills like a grown up. They aren't hard to learn. They move faster than most other mini war games I've played. The models are the only huge draw back to this game.

RSV out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

Or just play how the rules are written and use your reading and understanding skills like a grown up. They aren't hard to learn. They move faster than most other mini war games I've played. The models are the only huge draw back to this game.

RSV out.

2 VF-1s vs 6 Battlepods is a recommended starting scenario, and a nice simple setup to learn to play the game with. However, that gives the UEDF player 2 CPs and the Zent player 0 CP (due to Life is Cheap). This makes for a very unbalanced game; the UEDF is likely to absolutely slaughter the Zents with that CP edge. Further, 0 and 2 CP isn't enough to really get use the CP system, which is both an important part of the game and a lot of fun.

If you ignore Life is Cheap, the Zents get 6 CP to the UEDF's 2, and the balance is reversed, leading to a huge advantage for the Zents.

Counting each Battlepod for 1 CP and each VF-1 for 3 CP gives a reasonably balanced game with enough CP to be exciting and use the special command options.

This kind of tweaking isn't required in normal play, as both sides will be taking command mecha that give bonus CP.

However, the UEDF still has a slight advantage. Allowing a single reinforce on the Zent side evens this out. That's not an important tweak, it just gives the closest balance to the scenario.

Quote:
The models are the only huge draw back to this game.

Yeah, kind of crazy. I backed Robotech expecting cool models and lousy rules, and got decent rules and lousy models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, kind of crazy. I backed Robotech expecting cool models and lousy rules, and got decent rules and lousy models. :p

I backed it for the models expecting lousy rules.

I don't mind the models I got, I mind all the models I *didn't* get... :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cygnus 2112
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, kind of crazy. I backed Robotech expecting cool models and lousy rules, and got decent rules and lousy models.

I backed it for the models expecting lousy rules.

But, they are "working on it" and "things are heating up" so 2nd wave "2017" .. lol..ok..whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:

Sigh. Yes, yes, those are much more of a problem. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.