9 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Two (2) player - opinion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cru Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How well does Scythe play for two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays well, but it's my least favorite player count. Adding an Automa opponent makes it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays very well.
If you like more tense, you can add an Automa and then it is just as well as any other count.

For the record, I played more than 30 games as a 2p and still enjoy it so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
msg tools
mbmbmb
My husband and I play Scythe two-player often, it is currently our favorite game to play as two player. We are both very confrontational players and the game plays that way for us, but I can see how certain personality types that differ greatly in their gameplay may find it lacking at two player (i.e. one conflict loving player vs one evasive engine building player).

We have found that at all player counts under four the interaction is very player personality dependent but have found more "Cold War" stand offs with three player than any other which is my least favorite player count.

But to answer the question more directly, it plays very well at two player. It is incredibly well balanced and scales well at all counts. If you have someone to play with don't hesitate grabbing a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mostly played 2 player. It works fine, but is more Euro, parallel solitaire in feel than with more players. You can still get conflict (see some of my session reports), but have to go looking for a fight more than with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furry Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really not a favorite of ours with 2 players, after a few games we haven't touched it as a 2 player game anymore, there are just so many games that play much better with 2 (e.g. Terraforming Mars). Even with 3 it is just an ok game. I recommend 4 players, maybe 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
"It's all right up to the eyebrows, then it just goes haywire! Look at the eyebrows. These are attack eyebrows. You can take bottle tops off with these!"
badge
Trust your Doctor.
mbmbmbmbmb
EternalFury wrote:
Really not a favorite of ours with 2 players, after a few games we haven't touched it as a 2 player game anymore, there are just so many games that play much better with 2 (e.g. Terraforming Mars). Even with 3 it is just an ok game. I recommend 4 players, maybe 5.

Agreed. I'm pretty much a straight eurogamer, but I just don't think that there's enough tension and competition in a 2-3 player game of Scythe. I feel the same way about two of my other favorite euros, Kingsburg and Belfort. All three of these games are best with 4 or 5 players due to tighter competition for spaces.

I will say that the Scythe Automa is fantastic, and at higher difficulty levels, actually makes for a more tense game than one against a single human opponent, from my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
I also feel that there are better games for 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I also feel that there are better games for 2p.

I invite you to check out my list of two-player games [geeklist=Crujones33]List of two-player games[/geeklist]. Would you mind adding in your recommendations and/or comments?

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/217113/my-list-two-2-play...

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.