Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Snyder
United States
Selinsgrove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love VPG's more recent laser cut game pieces, I'm not a fan of the new map and the colors used. So much so that I tracked down a copy of the first edition (with expansion) to play. Now I just need to see how much different the rules are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At a glance, I do not prefer the old map. Its background seems too equally bright overall to me, making it harder to focus on the key functional elements.

Old:

New (early prototype but sufficiently similar color scheme to the published version):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as a playtester/reviewer of the 2nd edition, my vote goes to the new map. The second edition prototype that Russ posted is not what the final came out as (but the colors are the same). Through my lobbying we got Detroit moved from the middle of Canada to the Detroit River area between lakes Superior and Erie...where it belongs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I prefer the 2nd version too! The first was a major challenge due to how much had to be jammed onto it. The second larger one allowed me more room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim woodley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

I recently purchased a copy of the 2nd Edition on the geekmarket.
I admit that the new map is larger and cleaner, but there is something
about the old map that I really like. I'm going to see if it is
remotely possible to play with the old map and the second edition
cards and counters, and the new cards and counters are a definite
improvement over the originals. I do the same thing when I play
Ottoman Sunset. But, if it doesn't prove practical, I'm sure I'll
get by with the new map!

Tim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play with either map...the second edition's main change was to place Detroit correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim woodley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

I should be able to still use the old map with most of the new cards
and counters.

The leader cards, although a little bigger than the originals should
still work in the old spaces.

Some chits, British Infantry Tactics, Europe at War, Royal Navy, I'll
just use the first addition chits.

Did you see the size of the Royal Navy chit? You actually can sail up the
St.Lawrence on that puppy!

Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff curtis
United States
west allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I know this is an old post but I just opened my second ed game after putting of buying it for quite a while. You are right. The new map is a bit of a fail. It looks good until you start littering with all the chits and cards. It is washed out and nothing pops at you. Everything blends together for me. I prefer the old one for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to each their own. whistle As a playtester of the 2nd edition, I find the new map to be much improved If nothing else, Detroit is now in the correct location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Selinsgrove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The misplaced location of Detroit would've never occurred to me if you hadn't pointed it out. And even now that I know, it doesn't make much of a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff curtis
United States
west allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
When play testing did you notice on the new leader cards that when you pull the battalions marker back to 1 that you cover the leader rating?whistle

Also, that fort Detroit lies right between the discard and the draw pile making it difficult to sometimes even see it when the decks are the right height?whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cliffote2 wrote:
When play testing did you notice on the new leader cards that when you pull the battalions marker back to 1 that you cover the leader rating?whistle

Also, that fort Detroit lies right between the discard and the draw pile making it difficult to sometimes even see it when the decks are the right height?whistle

Hmmm...to your 1st question...yes, that's a little glitch

As to the second question...I place my cards to the side of the board so hadn't noticed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snyderman wrote:
The misplaced location of Detroit would've never occurred to me if you hadn't pointed it out. And even now that I know, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Actually, it makes absolutely no difference Its just that I expect to see Paris in France and Detroit in the U.S. For someone in Europe playing this game they might have the misconception that Detroit was in Canada. It was a pet peeve of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
cliffote2 wrote:

The battalion and reputation chits are two-sided, so the arrows can point either to the left or to the right. If you face the battalion chit with the arrow pointing to the left, you can put it to the right of the battalion strength number. This way it'll only cover the flavor text on the leader card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.