Popular Tags: [View All]
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently heard that the game was easy (on moderate mode)if you build your own deck. And if that's the case then we may think about increasing the difficulty for our first play. I really want to build a deck but don't want the game to be too easy if I do so. Also I don't want to build it then find it's too easy or difficult after we did the story.

So anyone have any experiences with building a deck and playing? We plan on playing this with 4 investigators if that helps.

Also for deck building do you generally do it based on what you think may be in the upcoming scenario you are about to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the ease of playing except to generally say, if you have two cores and custom build, you're going to have an easier time. If you custom build with one core, it's not going to make much of a difference since you only have one copy of each of the type-specific cards.

As for building for a scenario - hell no. I'm playing a story so I build for the whole campaign arc based on what my character is good at. If I ever get really, really fired up, I may do some one off games on nightmare mode and build a deck to suit it, but not for campaign play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warpi9 wrote:
Also for deck building do you generally do it based on what you think may be in the upcoming scenario you are about to play?

If you play by the campaign rules, then you only build your deck from scratch once - at the start of the campaign.

After that you only adjust it by spending XP, swapping a small number of cards in and out, between scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
The game does seem to be easier if you customize your deck, but only easier, much more enjoyable as well. With two cores you can really get a feel for what each character is trying to do in tandem with his or her special ability.

I ran through the campaign twice with 2 different character pairs with the pre constructed decks and found the game pretty difficult on standard. I just constructed two decks on my own using the same character combination and although ive only done the first quest i can tell the decks are more consistent and focused.

As for building for specific scenario I think thats really hard to do while playing story mode + the fact that if youre doing story mode the first time you play it youre going blind. I think building the deck to maximize the characters fight or evade really helps "catch all"

Really enjoying the customized decks so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome thanks. I like some challenge but not impossible. Also didn't realize that campaign mode you only build when starting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Well you do build a little with the xp you get.

And to answer the question about scenario building. Well first time i play the game for the story, but after that i try and get through the campaign and get the best resolution, in as hard a difficulty i can. On those subsequent plays, if i know a card will be gold in a scenario ill put it in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. If I am going to tune the game to its most difficult challenges then you bet I'm going to build the most badass deck I can. At moderate difficulty with four players I do think those players will have a very easy time of it if those players play with optimized decks.

I'm getting the feeling that the game's challenges at moderate difficulty were tested with the suggested starting decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
To be fair on standard difficulty i still see a lot of people write that it is impossible to get resolution 1, and they find ways to cheese ways to get one of the easier resolutions. So while i have gotten resolution 1 with own made decks. I would not say it is easy exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a vast difference between Roland single investigator and Wendy single investigator. There is also a vast difference between single investigator and multiple investigator. People's experiences will vary for sure. I've played the first scenario with four players five times now. The challenge has varied from smooth sailing to right down to the very last possible option victory to humiliating running away. Sometimes we made it harder on ourselves by playing something wrong and still prevailed. Sometimes we lost an investigator (cry).

Not once have I felt this game to be as swingy as Lord of the Rings LCG. It's always come down to decisions we made. I've yet to play anything but the starter decks but it's about time I have a go at optimizing to see how that changes the landscape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.