Emerald Arcana
msg tools
In our first 5P game, we misread the rules and everyone refilled after every round, rather than just the defending player.

I think this improves the game in the following ways:

1. Everyone actually had cards to play each round. In games where you don't do this, it's very easy to get to a point where you have three items and two heroes in a 5P game and you're out of a hero to play by the time the 4th player turn comes around. Not being able to play a card sucks.

2. You can play bigger cards. It's still not like you can just dump your hand each turn because you might want to save certain items for use (Splash items for big groups, for example), but it's always fun to play big items and feel like you're contributing damage.

3. You cycle your deck faster. In a game where you can only refresh at the end of your round, you might only get four refreshes. This variation literally quadruples that, making your deck's choices much more relevant.

4. You get a much better chance of winning. It's still not a cakewalk, but the game is much more forgiving if you can always do chip damage or if you have a chance to do more setup for big plays.

If you've been finding this game hard (I know I have) you might want to give this variation a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twesterm
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That kind of destroys the point of the game since you can help people with little to no consequences.

I've only played a game of it, but it appears to be very much a resource management game and even similar to Red Dragon Inn.

In RDI, you can play cards during other peoples turn, but you don't get to refill until your turn. That means you could go all out on your turn, but then you'd be open to getting screwed on gambling, getting hit with bad drinks, and getting damaged by other players. Battle for Greyport is the same way.

Do I want to use my hero on my turn or save it to help another player?
Do I use this nuke now or wait until the other player can get a bunch of things to them and nuke all at once?
Do I use this taunt card for the damage now or do I play it on another turn to kite the enemy around?

Every player refilling every turn takes away almost all the strategy and all the difficulty.

Also remember, unless a card states otherwise you can only play a single hero and a single item every turn. Even in your case where you have three items and two heroes (you really have three because of your starting hero), you still have five players. You need to figure out what three players to help out and what other players can help out the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico Cordova
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I can't imagine this being a fun variant as it would remove all the challenge and strategy of the game. There would be no decisions to be made. You would just play everything you had every turn no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zulux21
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
yeah a full refill like that is way to much.

that being said only refilling on the defending player made 4-5 player games rather boring as while I get the point is to feel like red dragon inn, the fact is being unable to help or do anything because you are out of cards or because you need to save them for later in a co op game isn't fun.

I haven't gotten around to test my variant, but my plan the next time I played was merely this.

when the defending player restocks, all other players draw a single card.

this means the only time you get your character card back is when you are the defending player, and while you have more cards than by the base rules, if you use everything it can be hard to have stuff to do the next turn (aka it becomes far more of a should I play a bunch of cards or just a small card instead of should I attack or just sit back and do nothing like it currently is)

however with the card draw it means you will likely be able to at least play a small hero each turn to pretend to help which will help the co-opness of the game.

it's a simple tweak that I think will help for larger player games, though I would maybe only do it for 4-5 players as at 2-3 turns should come around fast enough that only drawing on your turn won't be a huge deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if it was "Other players may draw ONE (1) card when the Defending Player refills" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ffs It's just been released. Play it how it's meant to be played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takore
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
From what I saw, the only limit on the number of item cards you can play per turn is only limited by the number of heroes you can play. Otherwise the Dual Wield would be a completely useless ability since you cannot play items on other players heroes.

If you have dual wield or played something with +hero you can play more than 1 item per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.