Subject: Arrived today; had to play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Green
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing a lot of deck-builders lately, and a lot of co-ops too, so this game was right up our alley. I have been a long time fan of RDI, so for me all of the RDI bonuses were great too.

One of the biggest differences between RDI:BFG and other deck builders is the flow of the game. There is a hand-management aspect that most deckers lack, recruiting straight into your hand took a little getting used to (we think we caught ourselves everytime we automatically recruited a card to the discard pile), and each player getting to contribute each round really upped the interactivity. Overall, we like how they gave the RDI feel to the deck-builder genre.

We started with the introductory scenario; I wanted to try out Chronos and my wife loves any sneaky character, so it seemed like a good pairing to have a magical and a physical. She went first and we were able to take down an enemy in the first round, so it was a good start. We tried to recruit a balance of items and heroes, with each of us focusing on red or blue cards; the decks would have none of that and we both ended up getting both red and blue cards because the special abilities looked so neat. It was hard knowing when to discard and when to keep a card for the next round.

In the end we did lose, but it was a near thing, and that is how we like our co-ops: the losses need to seem a round away from victory. We had dealt over 20 damage to the boss with 25 health, and had only one other enemy to deal with, but in the end we didn't have enough health. Technically my wife went to zero health first, but I was left with one myself.

We really enjoyed the game overall. There were many strategic decisions due to the hand-management aspects that most deck builders just don't have. In future plays I will probably try to commit better to physical or magical focus, and tweak my recruitment more towards items as I found myself with too many heroes more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.