Hide
7 Posts

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » General

Subject: Imbalanced Gameplay Issues? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deadly Wombat
msg tools
My game group has played through mission 1-1 five times and mission 1-2 twice and all 7 of these games were won by the villain. The turtles seem overmatched in completing their objective scenarios. We all love the game but, while winning isn't everything, we're concerned at the frustration level rising while playing this game. Has anyone else experienced game imbalance with this game? How was it resolved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the first book. As the villain, I won the first scenario, but the heroes easily won the next 2 scenarios. There seems to be a lot more strategy required than I had originally anticipated. If the heroes are really getting crushed, try throwing Donnie and April into the mix. I understand that they are both beasts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 2 scenarios so far, I went back to SOB for a moment, but the Turtles won the first scenario and the Villain won the 2nd one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
yeshmania wrote:
My game group has played through mission 1-1 five times and mission 1-2 twice and all 7 of these games were won by the villain. The turtles seem overmatched in completing their objective scenarios. We all love the game but, while winning isn't everything, we're concerned at the frustration level rising while playing this game. Has anyone else experienced game imbalance with this game? How was it resolved?

I don't think the gameplay is imbalanced. The scenarios are just very tightly designed so that the heroes don't breeze through the scenarios and are close battles.

It took three plays before the Heroes figured out the strategy and won scenario 1-1

Here are some hints in case you haven't been using a winning strategy. You need to have the turtles on the roof, preferably Mikey one of them who is first to activate, move to slow down the brawlers. Both of them need at least two skateboards for movement. They need to rush forward and drop down via the trash to get around the brawlers in order to slow them down. You are remembering that movement costs 1 extra for each enemy adjacent to the model moving right? Mikey is good for this with just two skateboards of movement and his special one square and -1 cost to terrain moves. If you get enough movement to get down and slow down the brawlers you should be able to stop them from getting more than two off the board, provided you don't have terrible dice rolls.

We played 1-2 one time and the heroes won it. It was a close fight. Hob and his minions are tough with his special ability to improve minions close to him.

How close are your battles? If they are close I would say it could just be coming down to dice rolls falling in the villain's favor. If there are big margins of victory in the villain's favor, it could be that you are misplaying a part of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hartman

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
Oh man, I've played this scenario AS the villain about 5 times now, and I've won precisely once. I can rush two guys off the map very quickly, but if the turtles are conscientious at all, then they double back and jam the rest of them up easily. Then it gets pretty tense. Leonardo usually brings his ultra-mud ability (where he counts as 3 figures), and can completely block the alleyway on his own.

Last night we found out how much damage Splinter can do, as well. Me oh my!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1-1 is borderline broken. The Villain can win inside of three turns without breaking a sweat. I haven't played 1-2, but on 1-3, the villain got trounced after the heroes plugged the two alleyways, forcing the Elite to try and make for the roof. The heroes also won 1-4, but it was very close, ending in round 5. So other than 1-1, so far, I haven't felt any particular balance issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thetrout wrote:
1-1 is borderline broken. The Villain can win inside of three turns without breaking a sweat.

Just one post above yours in this thread someone is saying they have gone turtles 4/thugs 1 in this scenario, so it might just be your group that is seeing this. We have only played this once, but the Turtles won handily.

If the Turtles play smart with the breakaway rules they can catch the runners. If they get distracted going after the guys deeper in the alley first they will lose every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.