Subject: Inconsistent Mini's Scales rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Just thought someone should post this, just so people that don't have the game are aware, in the very least.

It's obvious that the scales for the minis are all over the place. You can see the biggest differences when u see Karai next to April, Shredder next to Casey and Ultimate Shredder, Foot Ninja next to Foot Bruiser and Elite, Human Rocksteady & Bebop next to the thugs they're suppose to replace, etc etc.

Doesn't take away from the gameplay, but i have to admit that it does take away from the whole game experience. Anyways, like I said, just thought someone should post this. Super excited about the game, regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ew wtf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second that eiww.

Surprised this hasn't been raised before now. What a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pics, it's really seems a mess soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that's disappointing. Heroclix subins it will have to be then...

How is it possible that they didn't catch this before going to production?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Karai/Shredder are the most egregious. I'm okay with the others. April, Casey, etc... could be a mite smaller, but they don't look out of place.

Do wish Rocksteady/Bebop were massive, but limits of the system... although part of me hopes they take up 4 tiles each in City Fall (gives extra value to the miniatures here, haha).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Those minis look awful! I'm not just talking about the waaayy disproportionate scale and sizes, but the design and sculpts are really really poor considering it's a miniatures game.

Why has no one mentioned this before?! I'm guessing people are in KS denial!

(I also backed this game but it still hasn't arrived yet, BUT I certainly don't suffer from 'KS Denial' when something turns out odd/wrong)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hartman

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
I've done a lot of staring at my minis, having painted all the names figures. I'll say that the scale is a bit off on some of them, but for my sake they do the job of conveying the action on the board. And once you're in game, everybody's paying attention to playing.

Heck, my players often take a split between the Eastman-style turtles and the IDW turtles, which I've painted with two separate color schemes (black and white for the Eastman and lovable colored bandanas for the others), and nobody bats an eye at how shocking a difference it is.

I won't entreat anyone to lower their standards over a game that costs a fair bit of money. If the mini quality is that important to you, I understand. The only figure for whom the quality ended up being any issue for me, personally, was normal Shredder (weird pose).

But once they're on the board, if you're noticing the mini quality over the gameplay, then that's unfortunate.

I'll also note that this kickstarter has been the subject of nonstop criticism right from the start, such that it's become numbing. Everything from Raphael's sais not being long enough to the mousers being too big gets called out. I'm just happy to have my copy in hand, and I've had a LOT of fun playing it. Component issue have been no issue to the actual game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
This has been discussed ad nauseum, just not on here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
The Gaslight wrote:
Those minis look awful! I'm not just talking about the waaayy disproportionate scale and sizes, but the design and sculpts are really really poor considering it's a miniatures game.
Yeah, for a KS product in 2016 those minis are 110% terrible.
It screams, "We don't care, just give us your cash!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything matches what was shown in the KS. So the actual look of the sculpts is not off at all from what they had shown backers.

The scale though? That's just awful.
When all of these are digital sculpts, I don't why there should be any reason for the scale to be varied by so much.
If these were hand sculpted, I would have let it slide.

But when it's a digital sculpt, you can literally slide the scale up and down to where you want it. It would seem the approval process didn't involve actually scaling anything, and only how the characters looked.

Thanks for the post. It's making me second guess getting this at retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Ghool wrote:
It's making me second guess getting this at retail.

It should be noted that not all of these figures will be included in the retail version. April, Splinter, and Casey will be released in separate packs with different sculpts (so we don't have a scale comparison for those yet). Mutant Rocksteady and Bebop will not be released until the City Fall expansion, and those will be different sculpts, as well. Human R&B (the 2 right-most figures in the fifth image) will never be released at all.

I know those aren't the only scaling issues, but it is something people should be aware of when making purchase decisions -- especially with all the misinformation around here about all the Kickstarter material being planned for retail release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
What misinformation? Fill me in please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
The Gaslight wrote:
What misinformation? Fill me in please

There have been people on here claiming that "basically all" of the Kickstarter "exclusives" will eventually be released at retail. I posted a mini-FAQ to set the record straight:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24191667#24191667

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
Ghool wrote:
It's making me second guess getting this at retail.

It should be noted that not all of these figures will be included in the retail version. April, Splinter, and Casey will be released in separate packs with different sculpts (so we don't have a scale comparison for those yet). Mutant Rocksteady and Bebop will not be released until the City Fall expansion, and those will be different sculpts, as well. Human R&B (the 2 right-most figures in the fifth image) will never be released at all.

I know those aren't the only scaling issues, but it is something people should be aware of when making purchase decisions -- especially with all the misinformation around here about all the Kickstarter material being planned for retail release.

Indeed. Everything in the retail release is at basically the same scale. Only the exclusives had scale issues, and IDW has mentioned that they're working on making sure the retail versions of the extra heroes are at a more appropriate size when the new sculpts are made.

That said, when playing the game, it's not particularly noticable. My table had April and Casey both in play, and they never mentioned a thing about scaling issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
thetrout wrote:

Indeed. Everything in the retail release is at basically the same scale. Only the exclusives had scale issues...

Are the Foot Elite and Bruisers not included in the retail version? I thought they were. If they are, that's one of the most notable inconsistencies in scale out of all the minis. I mean, look at the normal foot ninja next to the Bruiser, the Elite, or even a normal thug. The Foot Ninja is TINY. Shredder and Karai also look tiny next to them (and they most definitely come in the retail box). Anyways, just want to clarify what does or doesn't come in the retail box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They're retail, but I was under the impression that they were *supposed* to be huge and scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
thetrout wrote:
They're retail, but I was under the impression that they were *supposed* to be huge and scary.

Huge and scary, yes, but they look inhumanly large -- like the aliens in Prometheus! I consider that a scale inconsistency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few thoughts. Take 'em or leave 'em.

- One reason the foot ninjas are so small is that they are crouched (or possibly running?), so they are not at their full height.
- This game is based off of a comic book. I think the Bruisers WERE inhumanly large in the comic book, because comic books can do stuff like that.

At any rate, while I can see why many would have liked the scale to be consistent to what they expect, I agree with those who didn't feel like it was noticeable. While everyone in my game agreed that April was a beast, they were talking about her overpowered skills and not her physical size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
donnbobhardy wrote:
I think the Bruisers WERE inhumanly large in the comic book, because comic books can do stuff like that.

Actually I'd say the scale was inconsistent in the comics, as well -- even within the same issue. The issue where Splinter is fighting one after he's been captured by Shredder, that Bruiser seems to vary from 2- to 3-times the size of Splinter.

I do notice the scaling issues in the game, but it does not ruin it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Here's the minis that do come in the retail box. I'll let people decide for themselves what think of it, as I've already expressed my own thoughts. Hopefully it'll help people make an informed decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I like the live cat included for reference.

Mikey's not supposed to be hunched over like that, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Cat is way out of scale with the rest of the minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
I like the live cat included for reference.

Mikey's not supposed to be hunched over like that, though.

Lol I just noticed that my Mikey is overly hunched... *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
The scale doesn't bother me.

The lack of alternate poses for the minions is more annoying.

Still a very good game. All the little stuff goes away when you start rolling dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.