GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,905 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are clear that they are not broken because of this, but it seems thematically inconsistent if they're relying on coastally imported opium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I take your point.

As per the rules, the internal chain is not broken. This is for both reasons relating to game balance and because a lot of the opium in the interior was locally grown after the initial flood of Indian opium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
www.cascadecon.games
badge
Cascade Games Convention: Bellingham, Washington's premier tabletop board game playing event
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
I take your point.

As per the rules, the internal chain is not broken. This is for both reasons relating to game balance and because a lot of the opium in the interior was locally grown after the initial flood of Indian opium.

Furthermore, this ends up being one of the best strategic opportunities. If I am reading the rules correctly, players who have a complete coastal supply chain supporting an internal supply chain gain 1 revenue for each counter they have in the coastal chain designated to act as the source to the internal chain (in addition to the normal revenue they may get if they have counters in the internal chain).

However, there is no board state accounting for this bonus, and it becomes ambiguous as to which coastal region is supporting the internal chain because there are between 2 and 4 coastal chains per internal chain.

If the internal chain is broken, the 1-revenue/enterprise bonus that players in the designated coastal source chain receive for completing the internal chain doesn't go away. And if the coastal chain is broken, because there's no accounting for the bonuses tied to whichever chain was designated as the source, there's no removal either. The implications of the rules are that the revenue is permanent.

Cole, is that what you intended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.