GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,170 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game – The Dunwich Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: big box questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anson Ng
msg tools
does it make sense to just buy the big box? or should i buy the packs as well for a complete experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The mythos packs are looking great so far. I'm going all in. However, if you're not super crazy about the game I'm sure the two scenarios will be okay.

Also, if you just buy the big boxes, you're looking at 2-4 new scenarios a year. In addition, you NEED the deluxe expansions in order to play any of the following mythos packs (in that cycle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Ng
msg tools
im probably going to buy them anyway. but just looking to understand the structure. So big box is independent from the packs, but the packs are dependent on the big box.

Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will need to buy the big box to play the small mythos packs. The small packs rely on cards from the big one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mschipper wrote:
You will need to buy the big box to play the small mythos packs. The small packs rely on cards from the big one.

Sorry, I'm a little slow :-), so could you break this down a bit for me.

I am about to receive the basic card game.

I expect to purchase expansions as they are released.

What are big boxes and how do they play into things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats fine. I'm talking from my experiences with the Lord of the Rings LCG which is very similar in the way releases work.

So you have the core set which contains all the basic cards you need to start playing the game.

A "Deluxe big box expansion" usually contains a number of scenarios (about 3) and a number of new player cards and heros/investigators. Usually the big box expansions cost a bit more than the small mythos packs because they have more cards. Usually around 160ish cards in total.

After the deluxe big box expansions are released the mythos packs are released which depend on these new cards to be able to use them. The mythos/adventure packs usually consist of one scenario and one hero/investiator and about 60ish cards in total. There are usaully 6x mythos/adventure packs released before a new Deluxe big box expansion comes out.

Usually the big box and mythos packs have a common theme and the set is called a cycle.

I hope that all makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each Deluxe Box starts a new campaign which continues on through the following 6 Mythos Packs.

Each Deluxe Box contains 3 new scenarios and 6 encounter sets. (apx)

There is one new scenario, and one set of encounter cards in each Mythos Pack (as well as new player cards). The encounter set from each Mythos Pack will be mixed with other encounter sets from the corresponding, previously released, Deluxe Box in order to form the encounter deck for your new scenario.

Any player cards you get in any expansion can be mixed in and used at any time with your existing player card pool (following normal deck-building rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mschipper wrote:

A "Deluxe big box expansion" usually contains a number of scenarios (about 3) and a number of new player cards and heros/investigators. Usually the big box expansions cost a bit more than the small mythos packs because they have more cards. Usually around 160ish cards in total.

After the deluxe big box expansions are released the mythos packs are released which depend on these new cards to be able to use them. The mythos/adventure packs usually consist of one scenario and one hero/investiator and about 60ish cards in total. There are usaully 6x mythos/adventure packs released before a new Deluxe big box expansion comes out.

mschipper is correct about the distribution, but one thing to keep in mind is that so far from the announcements, it looks like new investigators are ONLY going to come in the deluxe box (the mythos packs are listed as only having player cards and encounter cards, no new investigators). And the deluxe box that has been announced so far is only going to have two scenarios in the box.

There are also going to be Print On Demand (POD) scenarios that won't really include new player cards, but will contain all the encounter cards for one unique scenario. There is one out already called Curse of The Rougarou, although only people who went to the Arkham Nights, and got it early release have that so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you guys using the term Big Box, and Deluxe Box interchangeably? Or are they 2 separate things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tangram11 wrote:
Are you guys using the term Big Box, and Deluxe Box interchangeably? Or are they 2 separate things?

Same thing. There are clearly three sizes - A)The Core Set, B)The Dunwich Legacy Big/Deluxe Box, and C)the Scenario packs like The Miskatonic Museum (needs Core Set and Dunwich Legacy) and Curse of the Rougarou (needs Core Set only).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How many copies of each card are there in these boxes? Does it makes sense to get two deluxe boxes if you got two core sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
How many copies of each card are there in these boxes? Does it makes sense to get two deluxe boxes if you got two core sets?

There are 59 Player cards, including "A full playset of each" which I assume means two of every card that is not Investigator-specific. If you want to use this set to perfectly optimize two Investigators of the same Class, you will need two copies (assuming at least one of these new cards is a better choice than what is available in the Core Set). I am certainly not going to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not looking to perfectly optimize, I'm just trying to figure out what to get going forward, to support 4-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
I am not looking to perfectly optimize, I'm just trying to figure out what to get going forward, to support 4-player games.

It's hard to know for certain, since we haven't seen the cards, but my strong guess is that you can do just fine for 4 Investigators with two Cores and one of everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stathis Kokkinakis
Greece
Nea Ionia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible that we have a four player game without two cores but with one core and Dunwich?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stab wrote:
Is it possible that we have a four player game without two cores but with one core and Dunwich?

One Core and Dunwich is probably enough for three Investigators, but it's unlikely that you'll be able to build four decent decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Ng
msg tools
given that the full campaign) will have to wait until the 6 mythos packs come out (for 8 scenarios), does this mean that we keep playing repeatedly the earlier ones? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding also is that the Core Set is needed for the "big boxes" but the core set itself is a "campaign" of 3 scenarios. I might have this wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can buy the core set, for instance, get that complete experience, but the stand alones and wait for the next big box if you don't like the idea of Dunwich or are strapped for cash.

Not sure when then NEXT big box/deluxe box will come out though.

One core set will only give you enough investigators and player cards to use two investigators who share no cards in their deck. Any more players and you will likely need to either buy 2 cores (have different players buy their own core sets) or a core and a Dunwich when it launches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redsunzire wrote:
given that the full campaign) will have to wait until the 6 mythos packs come out (for 8 scenarios), does this mean that we keep playing repeatedly the earlier ones? wow

Basically if you enjoy them. I just got my first taste today and to be honest, once the card pools open up a bit and there is more wiggle room to create custom decks and level them up, I most certainly will enjoy trying to play scenarios I've played before with different decks or pairings of investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:
I also like to tell people to play at least the second scenario from the Core Set when evaluating the game, as that shows much better than the first how flexible and "open" the game system is. There is a spatial aspect that I sorely missed in Lord of the Rings LCG (based on Core Set experience of that only).

I've just started going through the rules, and that flexibility seems to extend through the whole rule-set. You get to take all of your actions at once, and in any order, rather than spread out through the round. I think they've successfully made it feel quite distinct from LotR:LCG and elegantly pulled in the mechanics from the other Cthulhu Mythos games. I feared a reskin of the earlier coop LCG, but it's something quite different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Booth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So can you use characters from the Core set campaign on the Dunwich campaign? It seems odd that you get to know and build up characters over a cool campaign and them toss them aside for a new campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.