Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Will they be used in future adventures?

I hope not...

because than I could buy second core just for convenience purposes (so I can keep encounter decks for every mission separately).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC there are some encounter cards in the core set that are not used in any of the three adventures, so I guess the answer is yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
IIRC there are some encounter cards in the core set that are not used in any of the three adventures, so I guess the answer is yes

Not correct. All encounter sets in the core box are used in, at least, one of the three core scenarios. Scenario 3 instructs you to randomly choose one of four encounter sets that aren't used in any other scenario so you're not going to use the often, but they're still used

My guess is that these encounter sets will NOT be used by later sets, but we'll learn later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they weren't going to reuse them, why wouldn't they just make the entire scenario into a single set? The fact that its broken up into multiple sets seems to imply that they will want to reuse the individual sets for some reason later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think FFG would be crazy not to reuse them, for a couple of reasons really.

First, it lets them bulk out the encounter decks for scenarios in mythos packs. Most expansion packs for these games are 60 cards, and even only a couple of cards for each faction takes us down to 44 for the scenario. Half of them for agendas, locations and acts, we're down to maybe 20 encounter cards. Using the core encounters too helps bulk this out, keep some variety, and reduces the work load on the designers to come up with new encounters.

Second, it introduces a hefty dose of replayability. The scenarios and campaigns from earlier in the cycle will continue to evolve as their encounter decks grow with the game. We can revisit the intro scenario with a load of extra Ghouls to give us a fresh challenge!

I would expect the big box coming next will introduce a new encounter deck that is used throughout the whole first cycle themed to the Dunwich horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerio Vitelli
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mb
unitled wrote:
I think FFG would be crazy not to reuse them, for a couple of reasons really.

First, it lets them bulk out the encounter decks for scenarios in mythos packs. Most expansion packs for these games are 60 cards, and even only a couple of cards for each faction takes us down to 44 for the scenario. Half of them for agendas, locations and acts, we're down to maybe 20 encounter cards. Using the core encounters too helps bulk this out, keep some variety, and reduces the work load on the designers to come up with new encounters.

Second, it introduces a hefty dose of replayability. The scenarios and campaigns from earlier in the cycle will continue to evolve as their encounter decks grow with the game. We can revisit the intro scenario with a load of extra Ghouls to give us a fresh challenge!

I would expect the big box coming next will introduce a new encounter deck that is used throughout the whole first cycle themed to the Dunwich horror.

This (modifying existing encounter set) would be the first time in a coop LCG. In LOTR the sets are used troughout the cycle and there are set in the deluxe expansion that are not used in the three quests of the box but only in the subsequent adventure packs. But each quest has a fixed number of cards that is not changed by following expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Ducharme
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could honestly see FFG going either way on this topic. The encounter sets from the LotR coreset were used to death during the first cycle, overexposing some of them.

Later on, they made encounter decks slimmer and more thematically consistent, and sets from deluxe expansions are used more sparingly in the subsequent cycle.

Back to AH: since a deluxe expansion will be out next, they might not be a need to reuse the encounter sets from the core. However, why would they bother printing sets of non unique cultists in future products since we have four sets that have barely been used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they re-use them. Right now if they have a cultist themed scenario, they can just re-use the base cultists for extra flavour without needing to print similar cards in a future scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
If they weren't going to reuse them, why wouldn't they just make the entire scenario into a single set? The fact that its broken up into multiple sets seems to imply that they will want to reuse the individual sets for some reason later.

Well, the core-set reason is that some (5) sets are used each in two different scenarios.

However, the detail of the split of sets does tend to imply that they're split in order to be able to be used separately elsewhere.

Specifically, there are 3 sets which are used both in scenario 1, and in scenario 3. There are also 3 sets which are only used in scenario 2. Each of those groups of 3 sets could have just been 1 set (unless I'm missing something - please correct me if so). I can see two reasons why they wouldn't be grouped together - to make a thematic split because the nature of the cards is different, and in order that they can be used separately in the future.

Even with this evidence, it's still not 100%, but I tend towards thinking that some of these core encounter sets will be used in future expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Detail of encounter set splits is below

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Encounter Set The Gathering The Midnight Masks The Devourer Below
The Gathering X
The Midnight Masks X
The Devourer Below X
Rats X
Ghouls X X
Striking Fear X X
Ancient Evils X X
Chilling Cold X X
Nightgaunts X
Dark Cult X X
Locked Door X
Cult of Umôrdhoth X
Agents of Hastur X
Agents of Yog X
Agents of Shub X
Agents of Cthulhu X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
I would say the treachery card from the Nightgaunt shows that these cards will be used in the future. And in my opinion they should.

The card says ".... then move to a central location." In the scenario in question only 1 location is marked as central, so if the deck was only meant for that single scenario, then they might as well have written, ".... then move to rivertown"

Furthermore another post suggests that the first cycle is about Yog-Sothoth why it would make sense to use "Agents of Yog-Sothoth" in that campaign. And that might reveal that they plan to have the first 4 campaigns be about Yog-Sothoth, Cthulu, Shub-Niggurath and Hastur.

This makes perfect sense in that 3 of those are starter Ancients in nearly any Mythos game, and Hastur is a fan favorite. Meanwhile a normal starter like Azatoth might be hard to design a campaign around.

Personally i will miss Yig and Ithaqua because of the cool locations revolving around those ancients. But i can only hope thoose guys will be next in line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.