Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Revolta
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick, Liam and Sandra - members of Derek gang (issues #75-78)
Reggie - the guy who shot Rick before the Zombiecalypse (issue #1)
Craig - member of a wandering gang, who wanted to rape Carl (don`t remember the issue numbers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, I can see what you mean.

So Reggie is in frame 3 of issue 1, and Patrick, Sandra and Liam are Derek's gang, with Liam being the one "thrown" to the Zs in one frame.

But where do their names come from and why did they choose these characters over the many other possible choices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't named in the comics -- some of them don't last more than two pages! No idea why they chose these characters, other than that the comic book doesn't really have any opposing gangs that last long enough, before the Governor comes along.

Now, should they have jumped ahead in the storyline? Hmm. I wonder. YES. But instead of Rick and Company vs. The Governor (or Negan), the Starter Set only has Rick and Carl, with some "you paid for the metal mold" nobodies.

Okay, I have an idea, and it goes MOOOO. Not that Cryptozoic (and FFG) didn't also do it, but Mantic's obviously milking the franchise, stretching the popular characters over multiple purchases. I already funded the Cryptozoic KS (and got some of those crappily prepainted Todd McBlind Bag figures on sale), so might skip on the Starter. It *does* have survivors you can use as unarmed civilians in zombie games -- why does everybody who's a survivor have a gun??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I suppose it could be an opposing gang thing, that does make sense. It is also just as much a money thing too. No one is guaranteed to buy those characters as boosters. They are guaranteed to buy the many other characters that everyone knows!

They didn't even include all the characters you need for the "days gone by" scenarios in the box. Instead they went for the instant cash grab by making some of the characters you need in the first boosters released at retail.

The opposing gang thing is definitely I'm sure a reason, but being able to make the guaranteed cash moving forward with what they release at retail is probably just as much behind it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.