Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm thinking about attending Gamex this weekend in Los Angeles (being that it is only a half hour away from me). There are a couple issues holding me back. The main one being, it seems like these conventions are really designed for convention veterans. I'm not one who goes to conventions much and looking at the website I'm not sure what to expect. I can see there is a TON of gaming going on, but it seems like those fill up quick. So the new guy like me is kinda left wondering how to get involved.

Now, I don't mind going to a couple of conventions, just to learn the ropes. But my wife likes to come with me to these, and showing up to a noisy hall with a lot of people and not having a clue what to do just doesn't sound like a fun time. And that'll turn her off real quick to ever going to gaming with me again (and I kinda like having her around).

So this is my plea for help. Do I just have a distorted view of this and it is quite easy for someone to come walking in off the street and sit down and start gaming? Or am I right on and really should stick with gaming with my friends (in the off chance that they are in town)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Yes, you have a distorted view. It's not a big deal, though.

It does get easier/more fun with experience, but we all have to start somewhere.

The following applies to boardgaming at Gamex only. I don't have experience with the CXGs, RPGs, or minis.

There *will* be a ton of gaming, but in general, the boardgame events don't "fill up" (with a few exceptions). The gamemasters usually make every effort to accomodate all comers (availability of games permitting).

Unlike a lot of conventions (GenCon in particular), most boardgaming events at Strategicoins are *not* one table of one game being played once. Usually, if there is enough interest in a game (and there is probably 60%-80% of the time), multiple tables are played, with some number from each table advancing to a second/final round. So each "game" is like a mini tournament, with the winner and second place getting a small prize.

So, getting shut out of scheduled games isn't a real issue; if you show up on time (especially with a copy of the game), you almost certainly will get to play.

Teaching games isn't an issue either; there are often people who have to be taught, and that is part of what the GM is there for. (However, with heavier games, you might get shunted to a "learners' table", if there are enough people who need to learn the game.)

There is also plenty of open gaming; there are usually people with games set up looking hopefully for opponents, so don't be shy about joining in if you're invited. Or inviting others to join you, if there's something you want to play.

While many of the attendees know each other, we tend to be friendly and outgoing (mostly), so don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

It's not scary or hard (as long as you are possessed of a modicum of social skills), just jump in with both feet.

If you still are feeling a bit shy or overwhelmed, ask the people at the Boardgame HQ for some help/pointers/introductions. They'll be happy to help you out and get you oriented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris is right - there will be a ton of approachable people and games at Gamex. On Saturday in particular, the huge Rio Grande Tournament will attract a lot of players in an 'open gaming' style tournament where you can get into a game easily.

This is in addition to a ton of scheduled events and a big open gaming area full of people interested in playing games. You'll find plenty of people that are happy to have more players join in and are glad to teach you some new games, too. I'll be there in the Rio Grande room or showing off Z-Man titles (wearing a black t-shirt shamelessly promoting my podcast). Hope to see you there.

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rutt
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James, I felt the same way at first. My first Big Board Game convention was the last Strategicon in February. I was a bit intimidated going into it as a "rookie" thinking I'd be an outsider, but I arrived at opening on Saturday and the first person to approach me moments after I walked in was Reiner Knizia himself and it was all gravy from there.

You will meet some great people and will have the opportunity to learn new games as well as play your favorites. In any game I signed up for I was never turned away, there were ussually a few copies of the games and at least one person willing to walk you through the rules.

I wish I could talk my wife into going with me as well. However, I am hopeful to meet up with many of the great people I met at the last event. I have been looking forward to this since the last Con ended in Feb. I am sure you will have a great time. See you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric M. Aldrich I
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Gamex is certainly the most relaxed of the 3 cons we run. Here's a tip, if you're going, get there before noon as the hotel has two other events going on over the weekend (one saturday, one sunday) but they both start in the evening. Parking will get ugly starting around 3 pm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys have talked me into it. I'm going. I figure I'll give a go a couple days this long weekend and my wife may come on Monday since it should be a shorter day.

I'll be the guy with the bright orange Beaker (from the Muppets) shirt. So if you see me wandering around with this lost kinda look on my face, it probably means 1)I'm lost and 2)I'm probably being a little to prideful to ask for help. But I hope I am never too prideful to accept help

Hope to see some of you there! Thanks for all your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I will be there looking for playtesters for some prototypes I brought with me, so look for me if that sort of thing interests you.

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls