Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Producing workers/Ownership of territory(builiding) question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelvin Ly
Canada
Etobicoke
flag msg tools
A) on turn 1, and I chose the produce action(im not on a village). Since I have a 0 cost of produce, do I still spawn the 2 resources the tiles I placed my workers and not have to pay the cost(since it is 0)?

B) If I took over my opponents tile with a Mill, and now that it is his turn. He chose to produce action, does he still gain the benefit of the mill? Does this apply to the other builidings (such as Monument/armory)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takonic wrote:
B) If I took over my opponents tile with a Mill, and now that it is his turn. He chose to produce action, does he still gain the benefit of the mill? Does this apply to the other builidings (such as Monument/armory)

For B) the answer is no: The Mill (like other buildings) only count for controlling the hex as long as no enemy units are present - then they control it (but they don't "own" the building, so cannot produce there without a worker). So he cannot produce on that hex until the enemies leave or he retakes it using a mech or hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takonic wrote:
A) on turn 1, and I chose the produce action(im not on a village). Since I have a 0 cost of produce, do I still spawn the 2 resources the tiles I placed my workers and not have to pay the cost(since it is 0)?

Certainly sounds like a normal produce action. Even if you were on a village it wouldn't change it since you pay(0) first before producing a worker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Ly
Canada
Etobicoke
flag msg tools
BathTubNZ wrote:
takonic wrote:

Certainly sounds like a normal produce action. Even if you were on a village it wouldn't change it since you pay(0) first before producing a worker.

in that case, If I chose the the produce action. I had workers on lumber and a village tile. I wanted the lumber, but did not want to produce another worker. Do I have that choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takonic wrote:

in that case, If I chose the the produce action. I had workers on lumber and a village tile. I wanted the lumber, but did not want to produce another worker. Do I have that choice?

Yes. (It does say this in the rulebook).

Also if you had 2 workers on the village, you could choose to only produce 1 new worker instead of 2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Scholtanus
Netherlands
Beek (gem Montferland)
flag msg tools
JadedGamer wrote:
takonic wrote:

For B) the answer is no: The Mill (like other buildings) only count for controlling the hex as long as no enemy units are present - then they control it (but they don't "own" the building, so cannot produce there without a worker). So he cannot produce on that hex until the enemies leave or he retakes it using a mech or hero.

I would think that he could produce on the mill if he wanted to. But As it is controlled by the opponent, that the resource will also go to the owner. Who then can just take it and walk away. Granted, this can get a bit tricky with a mill on a village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reapersfault wrote:
JadedGamer wrote:
takonic wrote:

I would think that he could produce on the mill if he wanted to. But As it is controlled by the opponent, that the resource will also go to the owner. Who then can just take it and walk away. Granted, this can get a bit tricky with a mill on a village.

No. Since the opponent has a unit on the space, that is who controls it. Therefore, the mill does not produce. If there are no units at all, then the mill's owner controls the space & can produce.

As for production, you can produce as many resources as you have workers (plus the mill if present)--you do not have to produce all of the possible resources. The cost is whatever is showing on your player board--if there's no cost showing, then there is nothing to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luuk Van Aken
Canada
Lacombe
Alberta
flag msg tools
I don't think the mill produces workers on village, it only produces resources. Would be pretty useless in long run anyway as there's limited number of workers so once all workers are on board mill would be done. Resources are unlimited so mill would be able to keep producing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reapersfault wrote:
JadedGamer wrote:
takonic wrote:

As written in the rulebook you are not mistaken (the rules can easily be interpreted either way), but the designer has ruled that the mill may only produce if the hex it is on is controlled by the player who build the mill.
See here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23262902#23262902

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A Mill produces exactly like a worker on any terrain type, including a village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Reapersfault wrote:
JadedGamer wrote:
takonic wrote:

As written in the rulebook you are not mistaken (the rules can easily be interpreted either way), but the designer has ruled that the mill may only produce if the hex it is on is controlled by the player who build the mill.

Not to be overly argumentative, but the rulebook is very clear on this rule on page 18 in the Build / Structure Control section. My apologies if this rule was appended

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LiLNipsFatal wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Reapersfault wrote:
JadedGamer wrote:
takonic wrote:

Not to be overly argumentative, but the rulebook is very clear on this rule on page 18 in the Build / Structure Control section. My apologies if this rule was appended
This has been discussed at length length previously, but the summarized version is that the rules say you need to pick a hex you control when producing (this section talks about regular production). The rules also say that a building can always be used, even if in an enemy controlled hex, and the mill produces when it is used.
Which rule has priority? I think exceptions trump "basic" rules (mill being the exception to normal produce) but I can see why others see it the way it is intended. Hence me saying it can be interpreted either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
LiLNipsFatal wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Reapersfault wrote:
JadedGamer wrote:
takonic wrote:

This has been discussed at length length previously, but the summarized version is that the rules say you need to pick a hex you control when producing (this section talks about regular production). The rules also say that a building can always be used, even if in an enemy controlled hex, and the mill produces when it is used.
Which rule has priority? I think exceptions trump "basic" rules (mill being the exception to normal produce) but I can see why others see it the way it is intended. Hence me saying it can be interpreted either way.

The designer of the game trumps all, especially since the rulebook could have been interpreted either way. Even without the designer's comment, I think his logic holds the more consistent interpretation.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23262902#23262902

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
LiLNipsFatal wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Reapersfault wrote:
JadedGamer wrote:
takonic wrote:

The designer of the game trumps all, especially since the rulebook could have been interpreted either way. Even without the designer's comment, I think his logic holds the more consistent interpretation.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23262902#23262902
Did you mean to reply to me with a link that I've provided previously in this thread and quoting my post where I provide said link? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Did you mean to reply to me with a link that I've provided previously in this thread and quoting my post where I provide said link? laugh

Haha, I was trying to reinforce that link. I didn't realize that you were the same one who quoted it. This thread got a little meta - I read your last comment as arguing against the designer and just wanted to make sure everyone knew the ruling. No offense intended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

Haha, I was trying to reinforce that link. I didn't realize that you were the same one who quoted it. This thread got a little meta - I read your last comment as arguing against the designer and just wanted to make sure everyone knew the ruling. No offense intended!
No worries, I definitely accept rulings made by game designers as the final word (officially, house rules are an entirely different topic though)

However, I like clear rules and one of the easiest way to achieve those IMO is to point out when they aren't clear. Since somebody else claimed they where clear originally I listed both options to interpret RAW in the post you replied to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Nietz
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FWIW, the English rules are quite clear:

STRUCTURE CONTROL: Opponents can’t use your structure abilities. You always get the abilities
from your structures even if you don’t control the territories they’re on (except for the Mill--you can’t Produce on the Mill’s territory if you don’t control that territory).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kabukigod wrote:
FWIW, the English rules are quite clear:

STRUCTURE CONTROL: Opponents can’t use your structure abilities. You always get the abilities
from your structures even if you don’t control the territories they’re on (except for the Mill--you can’t Produce on the Mill’s territory if you don’t control that territory).
Will have to check my copy when I get home, but I'm pretty sure that the part in brackets at the end was not in the original version of the rules.
Unfortunately there does not seem to be a version number in the rules.

Good to know that this is explicitly spelled out from now on though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say you are correct, but I checked the currently-available PDF and it has indeed been updated.

rules wrote:

FYI, the latest rules PDF is available here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally remembered to look this up; Printed rules and original download do not have the part in brackets.
As I said, good that it is clarified now.

Anybody know if there's a change log around so I can make sure that I'm not missing any other changes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.