Carcassonne: Amazonas» Forums » General

Subject: Is this just a reskin, or does it add something new? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we are pretty avid Carcassonne players and we have all current expansions for the new (post-2014) Carcassonne.

My question is: except for art, how much does this add if you have the normal base game + expansions? I really like the art, but it sounds like the only differences are:

- a boat on the river
- Animals instead of meadows

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are up so you can see for yourself. The difference is the river scoring. It's different enough if you are very keen but not the best version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with Tom. It's the least innovative of the "Around the world" series. Some stuff is taken from Hunters and Gatherers, some other from standard Carc, plus you have the river to explore. I suspect it's more interesting in 3p+ games than in 2p. Plus, the nature of the river seems to incite at having a map expanding in just one direction. I was expecting more from this game. It's not bad, uh? But it's not that good either. South Seas was a revolution, you didn't score the completed features, but features allowed to gain resources to buy ships (a sort of Carc meets Puerto Rico); Gold Rush was genius with the gold nuggets dynamics. And this is nowhere near the other two...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Agreed with Tom. It's the least innovative of the "Around the world" series. Some stuff is taken from Hunters and Gatherers, some other from standard Carc, plus you have the river to explore. I suspect it's more interesting in 3p+ games than in 2p. Plus, the nature of the river seems to incite at having a map expanding in just one direction. I was expecting more from this game. It's not bad, uh? But it's not that good either. South Seas was a revolution, you didn't score the completed features, but features allowed to gain resources to buy ships (a sort of Carc meets Puerto Rico); Gold Rush was genius with the gold nuggets dynamics. And this is nowhere near the other two...

Sounds like I should go for one of the other two, if we want to play Carcassonne with a bit of a twist. Will let this one go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
So, we are pretty avid Carcassonne players and we have all current expansions for the new (post-2014) Carcassonne.

My question is: except for art, how much does this add if you have the normal base game + expansions? I really like the art, but it sounds like the only differences are:

- a boat on the river
- Animals instead of meadows

Have you watched Sam Healey's short video review of C:A over at The Dice Tower? Of course it is here at BGG on the C:A page, too. If not, you should. I plan on getting it. I love C:SS, which I much prefer to just C. Though I haven't tried C:GR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
South Seas was a revolution, you didn't score the completed features, but features allowed to gain resources to buy ships (a sort of Carc meets Puerto Rico); Gold Rush was genius with the gold nuggets dynamics. And this is nowhere near the other two...

FWIW, I played both and neither grabbed me, but I will probably get Amazonas (although partially because I like the theme).

South Seas is indeed very different, with an interesting twist that unfortunately adds a lot of randomness, depending too much on having the right goods at the right time, particularly in the endgame. Gold Rush simply distributes random VPs and I see nothing "genius" about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I played it once, in Essen. From what I can remember, differences are:
- the river. For one, it gives a new way to score points. But from what I remember, nothing decisive in our game. Boats stayed close together and swapped first, second and third place.
- the river, part 2. It forced the growth of the tile plateau in one direction. Just not very much; people became busy finishing structures that they had built already, or extending the areas where their huts stood. So downstream few tiles were built. Perhaps a variant like in New World, where you cannot place tiles at a row behind your boat would help in pushing the game forward (or perhaps there is something like that in the rules and we missed it).
- There's a split in huts and meeples. Huts are your farmers; place them once and they stay there for the rest of the game. So unlike standard carcassonne, you can only place two farmers here. In our game there was therefore no late game fight for farmer majority in a single 'field'; instead we all placed our farmers early - and therefore placed lots of tiles at the source of the amazon, to make sure that those farmers paid off.
- Our table was not long enough. The flow of the river requires a minimum table length, and our bar table was only half that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mind Goldrush but I agree that the gold nugget aspect wasn't that interesting.

Haven't played South Seas, but didn't love the aesthetics of it..but will try it.

I own and love Hunters and Gatherers the best. It's got some great unique mechanisms (love that you can get rewarded for finishing other players mountains)..the gold nugget mechanism in H&G is better than Goldrush.

It's the best one to get if you don't have basic plus many/all expansions.

Anyone play Star Wars version yet? I expect that's a retheme only?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:

- the river. For one, it gives a new way to score points. But from what I remember, nothing decisive in our game. Boats stayed close together and swapped first, second and third place.
- the river, part 2. It forced the growth of the tile plateau in one direction. Just not very much; people became busy finishing structures that they had built already, or extending the areas where their huts stood. So downstream few tiles were built. Perhaps a variant like in New World, where you cannot place tiles at a row behind your boat would help in pushing the game forward (or perhaps there is something like that in the rules and we missed it).

I just played a two-player last night. Same thing happened. Boats move even if you don't place a meeple or hut, so the boats are continuously moving.

I was actually coming on to BGG to see if any rules questions had been posted. There are none? Kinda shocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.