$20.00
Alexander Winnefeld
Germany
Hannover
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a question concerning the addition of miniature games expansions to the database, and I hope this is the right place to ask - I realize that for the most part, expansions for tabletop/miniatures games have not been added to the database, propably because of the sheer numbers if expansions (same for different CCG sets). Then Fantasy Flight came along with its LCGs and miniature games, both with a gazillion of expansions. Now we seem to have this weird split in the database: miniature games by board game companies have all their expansions added, while games by "pure" tabletop game companies (again, for the most part) only have the base games in the database.

I do not suggest we should add every Warmachine or Warhammer box and blister pack ever to the database retrospectively. I am asking because of a new edition of a game like Blood Bowl (2016 edition) though. There are two expansions at this moment: the Death Zone book with the league rules and the Skaven team. Should those be added to the database? (Btw, their first cousins are there: Blood Bowl (first edition): Skaven Team, Blood Bowl (first edition): Death Zone)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One point to consider is 'does the expansion contain new rules that are not included elsewhere?'

I believe the Skaven team for BB 1ed contained rules, or at least the stats for the players, which weren't included in the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Winnefeld
Germany
Hannover
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, this makes sense to me and would mean that campaign books etc should be added, boxes of miniatures should not.

This guideline is not observed strictly so far though. See the expansion teams for DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game for example (all rules are provided in the different season rule books, the team boxes contain only minis). On the other hand, the Warhammer: Age of Sigmar start collecting boxes that are currently not in the database would have to be added, because they contain a rulesheet with an "exclusive warscroll". Shades of grey, I guess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Guide to Game Submissions

Quote:
What is an Expansion?

Miniatures games that are rule sets and do not come with other components such as miniatures and dice may have expansions that are additional rule sets from the publisher. These expansions do not need to contain additional components. Miniature products that do not contain new rules (e.g. additional miniatures or books with background material) are not considered an expansion. These items do not get an accessory entry either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Miniature products that do not contain new rules (e.g. additional miniatures or books with background material) are not considered an expansion. These items do not get an accessory entry either.

Yet oddly the Dust Tactics game has every box set released as an expansion despite just being miniatures with no additional rules - unless the unit card that comes with them counts as rules. That would make the multiple new cards they release with each new version expansions though as they add new rules (or at least the correct stats to use with the existing miniatures).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EyeLost wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
Miniature products that do not contain new rules (e.g. additional miniatures or books with background material) are not considered an expansion. These items do not get an accessory entry either.

Yet oddly the Dust Tactics game has every box set released as an expansion despite just being miniatures with no additional rules - unless the unit card that comes with them counts as rules. That would make the multiple new cards they release with each new version expansions though as they add new rules (or at least the correct stats to use with the existing miniatures).

This is my favourite abuse of the 'What is an expansion' definition - The Munchkin Alphabet Coloring Book.

It's a colouring book... that happens to come with some extra cards for Munchkin and is therefore an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
This is my favourite abuse of the 'What is an expansion' definition - The Munchkin Alphabet Coloring Book.
It's a colouring book... that happens to come with some extra cards for Munchkin and is therefore an expansion.

Did you notice Munchkin Chibithulhu Plush?
It's a toy. But you can use it once per game for an in-game effect if it's in the rom you're playing in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.