Grand Prix» Forums » Rules

Subject: Conditional linking and corner exits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Purple TripleCrown
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoying this game (helps that I'm a huge F1 fan).

Looking to confirm whether we are playing the conditional linking rules correctly.

Assume that an activated car using conditional linking movement is entering a single lane corner that is 3 spaces long, is occupied by 3 cars, and exits onto a 2 lane straight.

The rules are clear that the "pushing car" can choose which lane the cars it is pushing out of the corner exit onto. The rules are also clear that cars that are using conditional linking can form and break pushing links as they wish.

The question is - just how instantaneous are those formations and breaks?

To make the question more concrete (using my example scenario), can the pushing car cause the car that started nearest to the exit of the corner to be pushed into the outside exit lane, break the link with that car, then instantaneously form a new link and cause the second exiting car to be pushed into the inside exit lane, and then break/form a 3rd link and push the 3rd car to be pushed into the exit lane of choice?

It is clear from the example in the rules that once the pushing car reaches the exit of the turn, it could break whatever link it had made and choose which exit lane to move into.

The alternative interpretation of conditional linking would be that the pushing car can only decide to break this pushing link once it reaches the exit of the corner (causing all 3 pushed cars to exit into the same exit lane).

Opinions would be welcome, but an authoritative answer from the designer would be even more helpful.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purpletriplecrown wrote:

The alternative interpretation of conditional linking would be that the pushing car can only decide to break this pushing link once it reaches the exit of the corner (causing all 3 pushed cars to exit into the same exit lane).

Thanks.

Your alternative interpretation is my understanding of how conditional linking works - the active car can only link/break a link with the car directly in front of it. If there are other cars in front of that car, they all move together as one block.

Thanks Federico, good to know.

Edit - or, in fact not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:
Purpletriplecrown wrote:

Thanks.

Your alternative interpretation is my understanding of how conditional linking works - the active car can only link/break a link with the car directly in front of it. If there are other cars in front of that car, they all move together as one block.

Edit - I think this rule answers your question.

(6.9.2) Racing Lines out of a Corner
When a Racing Line exits a corner and has an option of multiple
lanes to enter, the active player decides which lane the line will
enter. Once a lane is selected all cars that make up the line must
enter that lane. You may not split some cars off into different
lanes. If a Race Card, such as Outside Line, indicates that an
active car must choose a certain lane (the outside lane in that
case), that rule follows through for every car in the line of cars.

No I do not think that is correct.

In my understanding, you can break conditional linking and form a new line at any time, as per 6.3.

Jeff Horger seems to confirm this here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Purpletriplecrown wrote:

It is clear from the example in the rules that once the pushing car reaches the exit of the turn, it could break whatever link it had made and choose which exit lane to move into.

Thanks.

This is correct. The active car, ONLY, can break the link. I clearly mis-understoond the question referred to and then forgot to subscribe to the previous thread.

The active car would have to get to the split and then choose the alternate path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G W

Arkansas
msg tools
mb
Hmmm... I'm not convinced yet. In the other thread, somebody made a point that was not addressed, so I will bring it up again here:

In section 6.3, it says that ...the active car in a Conditional Link may choose to stop pushing the cars in front of it and change lanes. (bold added by me)

In the examples given in this thread and the other, there are no lane changes when breaking the link, as the active car is still in a 1 lane corner.

To further this point, in section 6.9 (Racing Lines and Corners), it states that - All cars in a race line must move into the same lane. You may not split some cars off into other lanes.

So, just to recap the original question with some extra verbage for clarity: we have 3 cars in a 1 lane corner, with the lead car in the last space of a corner(so it's about to leave the corner). The 3rd car back is activated with, let's say, a basic solo movement card.

This ruling says that the activated car can Conditionally Link the 2 cars ahead of it, and push them 1 space forward, and let's say, choose the outside line. This leaves the activated car now 2 spaces from exiting the corner. Then, he breaks the link that involves the front car (without changing lanes), and re-links with just the car in front of him and pushes it to the inside lane, and continues out of the corner.

Once the activated car is out of the corner, it makes sense - it can continue forward in the link, or break the link and change lanes, etc.

It just seems odd that you can break and reform a link in the middle of a 1 lane corner without changing lanes.

EDIT: looks like Jeff beat me to the punch and agrees with me, I think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
Purpletriplecrown wrote:

Thanks.

This is correct. The active car, ONLY, can break the link. I clearly mis-understoond the question referred to and then forgot to subscribe to the previous thread.

The active car would have to get to the split and then choose the alternate path.

Whoa, so we played that rule wrong up to now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple TripleCrown
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
Purpletriplecrown wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks for such a quick and clear reply.

Again, really enjoying this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwill2112 wrote:
In section 6.3, it says that ...the active car in a Conditional Link may choose to stop pushing the cars in front of it and change lanes. (bold added by me)

I interpreted this rule as the active car in a Conditional Link may choose to stop pushing the cars in front of it and may choose to change lanes.
Maybe it would be better to rephrase it as the active car in a Conditional Link may choose to stop pushing the cars in front of it by changing lanes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
vetinari7878 wrote:
Jeff Horger wrote:
Purpletriplecrown wrote:

Thanks.

I am very sorry. I had the situation reversed in my head. I am mildly dyslexic on spatial issues and should have displayed the question on a board before I answered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
vetinari7878 wrote:
Jeff Horger wrote:
Purpletriplecrown wrote:

Thanks.

I am very sorry. I had the situation reversed in my head. I am mildly dyslexic on spatial issues and should have displayed the question on a board before I answered it.

Absolutely no problem! I actually played a game of GP last night with the "correct" conditional linking, and I agree that the new ruling makes more sense than the previous one (and it makes even more important to get first into a 1-lane corner).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel de Souza
Brazil
flag msg tools
So, just to confirm (my english isn't the best and the quotes are confusing me)
What did Jeff say:
You CAN do what the OP said or you CAN'T??
Can you break and form new links in the middle of a curve to push different cars to different exit lanes OR you have to first push all cars together to one exit lane then you can choose a different lane to exit yourself?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joetantobr wrote:
you have to first push all cars together to one exit lane then you can choose a different lane to exit yourself?

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.