Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: Want to get Into This Game - Have Some Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Davis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
hey there, so i've been scoping this game out and I have a couple questions because many people seem kind of mixed on this.

1: Did the problems i've heard about Zombicide ever get resolved? Based on reviews it seems like people's main issue with this game is that you shoot at other friendly players when they are in a square occupied by zombies and that players can die early and effectively be taken out of the game early on.

2: Do the big box expansions add enough to warrant picking them up? and for that matter do the smaller expansions?

3: How does this version compare to Black Plague? From what i've read it seems like Black Plague fixed a lot of the problems people had with the original version however I find the theme in the original more interesting and would prefer to get that one if possible.

Thanks for any info you give, i can't get a very clear consensus on this game. If there's something else you think I should know about feel free to write it in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
The main complaint people had with the original Zombicide is the ranged fire rules which make you target friends first if they are in the same zone as zombies. I personally never played with this rule since the Black Plague rules had been announced before I first bought it. I have always played normal Zombicide with the BP ranged rules (only misses hit your friends). This is a simple fix.

I bought the original (Season 1) box and the Toxic City Mall expansion at the same time. I have always played with these two together. At some point, I did buy the Season 2 set as well (Prison Outbreak) and combined that with the other two. The main problem I had at first with this was that I did not mix in weapons from S2 into the equipment deck. S2 has zombies that are immune to ranged weapons and there are a lot of hand weapons in that set to compensate for this. Without those additional weapons, the berserker zombies were very difficult to deal with...

Personally, I prefer the Black Plague theme so once we got that set we have never gone back to the original Zombicide. If you prefer a more modern setting then I would think the original would be fine. The only major upgrade to BP (besides the easily changed ranged rule mentioned above) is the Black Plague dashboards. They make organization much easier, especially if you are playing more then one character (my gf and I love to play this 2p with each of us controlling three survivors).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have almost everything available at retail for the original zombicide (rue morgue, prison outbreak, angry neighbours, etc.). It is a great game. Some people had an issue with the targeting rules, but it has really been overstated. The rule creates interesting tactical depth, the reason it has been criticized is because people didn't like it thematically, but it is hardly game breaking. As stated above, you can use the Black Plague adjusted rules when playing original zombicide if you want, it just makes the game a bit easier.

The expansions are definitely worth it. Each new zombie type (toxic, berserker, dogz, crowz, etc.) adds a new tactical challenge. Plus new map tiles and equipment. The only ones I didn't buy were the "lost zomibivors" (an optional rule I don't use) and the VIP zombie sets.

To get started, I picked up Prison Outbreak and the map tiles from basic zombicide. This gave me two types of zombies right away (berserker and regular) plus it allowed me to play all the season one and two scenarios. I found it a great way to get into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I prefer the setting of Modern but Z:BP is a MUCH cleaner ruleset overall. Basically, I feel that each iteration of Zcide was a refinement so Season 3 is a bit cleaner than Season 2 and so on.

But Z:BP really addressed a lot of the bugs in the Modern series. I suspect that-that was one of the goals when GG and CMoN created the new setting because they were able to dismantle the rules and start over, where the Modern series had some things inherent to the systems that had the devs somewhat painted into a corner. Particularly targeting priority and the way damage was handled. Not to mention the cumbersome character dashboards whi were hugely improved in Z:BP.

I further anticipate that when the next Modern Season comes out (S4), which I would not count on before 2018 or later, we will really be looking at a 2nd Edition of the game with a redesign that looks more like Z:BP. We'll see.

We also know that CMoN (who now owns the IP), is planning on releasing Z:BP season 2 before we see any other Zcide games.

For these reasons, I have been suggesting to friends who are interested, that they buy in to Z:BP first and maybe wait and see what the next Zcide Modern looks like before investing there.

Don't get me wrong; I love Zcide in all it's flavors, but Z:BP is currently the most polished game in the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you prefer the modern setting, I really would go for one of these sets over Black Plague. As has been said, you can easily apply the BP rules 'fixes' to it if you wish.

If the plastic dashboard idea tempts you, I would be willing to bet that if you hold out a while at some point CMON will kickstart a Season 4 box with plastic dashboards included. And obviously you would get a tonne of extra survivors etc to add to what you already have...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what's been said before:

1) Just use BP shooting rules. Misses hit survivors. Feels more thematic and isn't terribly unbalanced.

2) None of the big box expansions are required. Having new zombie types is excellent, and I definitely recommend adding Toxic and Berserker zombies to get a nice puzzley element - sometimes you want to shoot, sometimes you can't shoot. But... if you don't want to go whole hog in on a big box, you could just buy a Box O Zombies for those types. I'd probably recommend picking up the Toxic Mall expansion plus a Box of Berserkers (I assume that's a thing you can get, right)?

My personal favorite thing about Zombicide is that I treat it like a sandbox game. I have all these disparate elements and I can include/exclude whatever I want. Don't like Zombivors? Don't add them! Want more crows? Put more crow spawns in the deck!

(here's to hoping plastic dashboards and zombie alligators are in the S4 kickstarter someday)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a lil mod sheet, rule reminder we use for our games.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOuLVJBWHVlMjIxMn...

We also gives starts with pistol an extra skill of, ignores targeting priority when using 1d6 weapons in the same zone, buffs the character a bit.

But I will add I had no problem with the original range rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.