Subject: New expansion available for pre-order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Martin
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that the new Battle Map expansion “Khalkhin-Gol” is now available for pre-order at Amazon in the US. Be sure and ask your FLGS about stocking it and tell your friends who play; in a post on the Memoir ’44 forum at the Days of Wonder site Richard Borg hints that the future of Memoir ’44 may depend on how well this new expansion sells.

Amazon link

Post by Richard Borg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, available at the end of February 2017. That explains why yesterday my FLGS manager told me he couldn't find it on his Asmodee/DoW dist. order site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
undone01 wrote:
I see that the new Battle Map expansion “Khalkhin-Gol” is now available for pre-order at Amazon in the US. Be sure and ask your FLGS about stocking it and tell your friends who play; in a post on the Memoir ’44 forum at the Days of Wonder site Richard Borg hints that the future of Memoir ’44 may depend on how well this new expansion sells.

Amazon link

Post by Richard Borg

The Amazon preorder site (aka the link above) says not available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnTaber wrote:
undone01 wrote:

Amazon link

Post by Richard Borg

It did say available February 28, 2017 earlier today. I guess Amazon jumped the gun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
JohnTaber wrote:
undone01 wrote:

Amazon link

Post by Richard Borg

It did say available February 28, 2017 earlier today. I guess Amazon jumped the gun.

And here's hoping this expansion doesn't follow that of "NES Classic"....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
End of February !!!

*%$#@$^ (*^$^& $#@(*&^*() !!!!! cry

But thanks for letting us know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigH wrote:
End of February !!!

*%$#@$^ (*^$^& $#@(*&^*() !!!!! cry

But thanks for letting us know...

Agreed very much!

But at least something is "cooking" for MM44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Martin
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to have gotten your hopes up only to have them dashed. I could have sworn that when I first posted this, the expected date was in December but now, as others have noted, the date has been retracted all together. Maybe there’s still hope for a pre-February 2018 release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
undone01 wrote:
in a post on the Memoir ’44 forum at the Days of Wonder site Richard Borg hints that the future of Memoir ’44 may depend on how well this new expansion sells.

If that is in fact the case, and I have no reason to think otherwise, it concerns me that such a little known topic was chosen to "test the waters" on the profitability of continuing this venerable game system.

Collectors will want it, and I'm certainly in that camp.

Memoir 44 fans will certainly look at this expansion.

My question is: Will casual players go for this? Will casual gamers even recognize this as an actual event?

My concerns are because in all of my years of following the war game hobby, very few games have been made, and even fewer have been "hits", based on this very obscure theater of operations and the campaign. If the sales performance of this expansion is going to be used as a measuring stick for the future of expansions for this game, is the subject matter a good choice? Is this the subject that illicits the reaction of "Oh, I gotta have that" or "Whoa, maybe I should check out M44, I've always been interested in that campaign"? The CBI theater was certainly a secondary theater, and this subject is secondary to that.

Not many people even know that this was even a campaign.

What about north africa? Italian tanks, Matildas? El Alamein? Tobruk? Tunisia?

Kursk? Panther tanks models? Smolensk? Moscow? Rostov?

Sicily? Anzio? Monte Cassino?

I know there is a lot of material on this already, but even the Battle of the Bulge mini campaign with King Tiger models, and US M-18 Hellcats would certainly attract a lot of attention.

Don't get me wrong, I love the topic myself, I just worry that the future of M44 might well rest on how well an expansion on the little known subject of the Russians vs the Japanese sells.

Fingers crossed. All I know is that if I had to chose a subject for an expansion that might well be judged on sales, I'd go for the most well known, most likely to attract new and previous gamers alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Fardette
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Curmudgeon wrote:

If that is in fact the case, and I have no reason to think otherwise, it concerns me that such a little known topic was chosen to "test the waters" on the profitability of continuing this venerable game system.

Collectors will want it, and I'm certainly in that camp.

Memoir 44 fans will certainly look at this expansion.

My question is: Will casual players go for this? Will casual gamers even recognize this as an actual event?

My concerns are because in all of my years of following the war game hobby, very few games have been made, and even fewer have been "hits", based on this very obscure theater of operations and the campaign. If the sales performance of this expansion is going to be used as a measuring stick for the future of expansions for this game, is the subject matter a good choice? Is this the subject that illicits the reaction of "Oh, I gotta have that" or "Whoa, maybe I should check out M44, I've always been interested in that campaign"? The CBI theater was certainly a secondary theater, and this subject is secondary to that.

Not many people even know that this was even a campaign.

What about north africa? Italian tanks, Matildas? El Alamein? Tobruk? Tunisia?

Kursk? Panther tanks models? Smolensk? Moscow? Rostov?

Sicily? Anzio? Monte Cassino?

I know there is a lot of material on this already, but even the Battle of the Bulge mini campaign with King Tiger models, and US M-18 Hellcats would certainly attract a lot of attention.

Don't get me wrong, I love the topic myself, I just worry that the future of M44 might well rest on how well an expansion on the little known subject of the Russians vs the Japanese sells.

Fingers crossed. All I know is that if I had to chose a subject for an expansion that might well be judged on sales, I'd go for the most well known, most likely to attract new and previous gamers alike.

What you said.

Seriously, I enjoy the game but this expansion looks like a trial balloon for how much the current fan base will support (tolerate?), not an effort to reinvigorate the franchise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I placed a pre-order with Amazon and received a confirmation. Perhaps there were a limited number and they sold out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider myself pretty knowledgable on the Second World War, but if I saw a box with 'The Battles of Khalkhin-Gol' on the title, I would assume it was some ancient Chinese, or even fantasy wargame.

Perhaps they could title the series "M44: Forgotten Battles of WW2" - gives it a memorable name and a nice clickbait title that might attract casual fans. Opens up potential for lots of interesting topics, like the Aleutian campaigns...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the DOW website, Rasmussen81 infers that the Amazon info on this expansion may be in error. He is a representative for Days of Wonder and may have a better sense of actual timing to market. Just a hopeful note.

Quote:
My advice is to ignore any Amazon dates...they are certainly not the most up-to-date information on the planned availability of items!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are (slightly) misinterpreting Richard's comments.

He has additional expansions and material for allof his systems. Those expansions see the light of day only if the sales of the base game and expansions justify new material to the various game companies. Every company has it's own standard for what justifies the next expansion and often other factors come into play. See Battle Cry for a great example of an unfortunately unsupported product...

EVERY M44 expansion produced to date has been a trial to see if it is profitable for DOW to release the NEXT expansion. Don't read anything more (or less) into the success of this particular supplement. This is not a new strategy for DOW. Richard is just emphasizing the obvious: if this one makes $$ for DOW, they'll consider the next one.

As far as which expansion should be next, I think that is more a DOW decision than Richard. How big an expansion is it? How much $$ in new molds / card layout / markers are they willing to invest in this expansion given recent sales. They also want to advertise a new front, new angle, new battle, etc.

I've played this one and it's a cool wrinkle on the system with Japanese vs Russian country rules, Cavalry and light tanks.

At this point of the life cycle, I'm sure M44 sales are well down just because it is a) not the new thing AND b) a lot of people already have it. Inevitably, we'll reach the end of the expansion line before all of Richard's material is exhausted. I'm unhappy about it but nonetheless confident of that prediction.

- C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

From ADRIEN at the DOW website:

Quote:
Hi all,
The shipments for the Khalkhin-Gol expansion is currently on its way to US and Europe. It will probably arrive there very late in December, so it is very likely that the street date get pushed from December to January. But the games are coming, for sure
Thanks,,
Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance we'll see a new printing of the Pacific expansion to go with this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is such a HUGE difference between basic Mem44 and its later expansions based on the Overlord and Breakthrough mechanics...

The latter can be considered great products and the system should be supported on a permanent basis by ... Asmodee.

It is very telling that since Asmodee took over Days of Wonder there was NO decent news about new Memoir expansions...

Even more: Days of Wonder no longer distributes the Memoir 44 products on line ...

That is what happens when money hungry investment groups take over our hobby... Avalon Hill was RIP back in 1997/98 with Hasbro buying it while not even interested in that excellent line of AH games...

--------
As to the profitability: WHAT A JOKE.

Present day prices for single Overlord Map expansions go above 150. dollars/euros. Good luck even finding one in a decent shape.

So what prevents Asmodee of supporting Memoir 44 expansion products ? Money ? Or just being ignorant about the boardgame markets AND their loyal fans ...

The only thing they have to do is publishing ONE 2 sided map in Overlord OR BREAKTHROUGH formats ONCE EVERY YEAR .... and the basic game will continue to sell as well.

If that is too much to ask, well, pull out of the boardgame business please...

And indeed with DOZENS of interesting battles to cover ... why in the hell an obscure Japanese/Russian fight ?

Anzio, Monte Cassino, Smolensk and a zillion other maps await...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Peters

Coral Gables
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy it but need a reprinting of the Pacific expansion first. Will be holding off until then (if ever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyDoc666 wrote:
I would buy it but need a reprinting of the Pacific expansion first. Will be holding off until then (if ever).

I don't exactly understand this sentiment. What is it that you need from the Pacific expansion to play these battles? Is it because the figures aren't right or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this new expansion will require that you already have at least:

Memoir 44
Pacific Theater Expansion
Eastern Theater Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin hirst
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Heckmac wrote:
I believe this new expansion will require that you already have at least:

Memoir 44
Pacific Theater Expansion
Eastern Theater Expansion

It does state this on the DoW site for this expansion and does also mention the Terrain Pack. Although I think M44 is a given.

Without seeing the exact requirements for the individual scenarios, it is a bit difficult to determine what could be substituted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the printed maps, you are not going to need terrain. You can easily substitute Japanese units. So what's left in the Pacific expansion except
badges, mines and some obstacles (LSTs, field bunkers). With the exception of mines these are pretty easy to substitute and mines a bit more work.

Pacific may also have the Night Battle rules/chart but that's also easy to sub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald G
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mzungu wrote:

From ADRIEN at the DOW website:

Quote:
Hi all,
The shipments for the Khalkhin-Gol expansion is currently on its way to US and Europe. It will probably arrive there very late in December, so it is very likely that the street date get pushed from December to January. But the games are coming, for sure
Thanks,,
Cheers,

So, mixed news here. Maybe December, more likely January. Ah well!

Just to let you all know, here in the USA, I was able to pay for a pre-order of a couple sets at COOL STUFF INC.!!! TODAY!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info.

Just preordered myself. Although sad about no game until after Christmas, happy to see new Memoir gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just happy that we have a new Memoir 44 expansion on the way. Armoured cars and light tank rules and models will be well received, at least by me. I wish though that more than six of each model were included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.