21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Beginner game for 8yr old (Autistic) & dad to play together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Cooper
msg tools
Hi,

I'm looking into buying a game for myself and my 8yr old son.

My son is Autistic and likes collecting, so if the game has the possibility of expansions of some sort then that would be great.

It needs to be straight forward too if possible (being Autistic, my son has a short attention span)

Also if it could be mainstream such as Marvel, Star Wars etc to keep him interested.

Sorry for all the questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been looking at Marvel based card games as well as the dice master ranges, any reviews on this?

I also saw the Star Wars X wing range which looks good too.

Thanks

Coops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Destiny comes out this month.

Super simple rules, blind collectible rarity scheme for boosters.

And it plays super fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel dice masters is great, fun to collect and sort and play. Depending on his tolerance for noises you may want to get something to roll the dice on to soften the crack of them hitting a table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Shiffler
United States
Manchester
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with both SW: Destiny and Dice Masters. Both are great for kids and Dice Masters is especially still entertaining for adults. They should satisfy both the gaming and collecting itch.

Also if DC is an option the DC Comics Deck-Building Game sets are also easy to teach. My daughter was playing them around that age. Pretty simple rules and the art is right out of the comics. Plenty of sets to collect as well as add-ons to change the original games into co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cacao

This is a great game to bring to the table for pretty much any age. Basically tile laying Euro game with an easy way to track points and everything is very straight forward. I play with my (now) 6 year old all the time and he gets it. Didn't have to change any rules either.

All of the Dice masters Are awesome and it is nice that you can really get one that pertains to his interest or mix and match, they have Yugioh, Marvel, avengers, Spider Man and more... I am still waiting on the TMNT version that was supposed to be out JAN 16th

Eight-Minute Empire
Here is another super simple one. It is turn by turn based and pretty quick (maybe 10 minutes) Some like this one and some don't.

The other thing I would recommend is looking at all the print and plays available on here. there is a contest going on right now for Childrens print and plays... there was one last year too that I was in and there were some really good games on there you won't find on shelves. The great thing is they won't cost more than a few pieces of paper and some ink.

Childrens Print and Play design contest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Cooper
msg tools
Thank you so much for the replies guys.

There is so many to look at. I'm sure my me & my son will enjoy looking into these games.

I also really like the idea of the print and play, they would be great for holidays.

Thanks again.

I just read your comment on mixing sets in dice master, that is so cool. Now I've just got to persuade my son to get it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (12) is autistic and loves beautifully visual games like Takenoko. It's colorful, fun, and easy to learn/teach. Go Nuts for Donuts is a hit too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Cooper
msg tools
That go nuts for donuts game looks great. My daughter would like that too.

I saw that it was a kick starter game, has anyone invested in kickstarter games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your son copes well in shops, take him to a gaming store and let him choose. Having had the joy of working with autistic pupils, I have very often been surprised and amazed by the game choices they make. I know it's an old favorite, but what about Carcassonne ?? Something reassuring about the tile laying, and there are so many expansions and different versions to collect. I have a good feeling about this one for you both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
My wife is mildly autistic. She likes certain kinds of games, and is a bit of a savant at visual/spatial puzzles.

Ingenious

Blokus Trigon

Are hits. She also has an interest in M:tg. I think the key is finding that thing that grabs your son's attention. Pick games that he has a natural affinity for. If you have information on the areas he accels in and his other interests we might provide more targeted suggestions.

Any way, best of luck to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Cooper
msg tools
Thanks again for all these replies, there are definitely a number of games to look at. The concept of these games vary too which is great.

Like most kids his age, he is keen on Pokemon. I have just given him my old comic collection which has sparked an interest in Marvel/DC especially Spiderman.

We have been into Toys r us, Smyths etc looking at the boardgames but would like a slightly more indepth game. I went to a local gaming/hobby store which sells Warhammer/Citadel, M:tg etc have however I feel that's now too complicated. My son likes the figures & concept of those games but would need the structure of a boardgame (I.e squares on board to move) to help understand the game. We saw the Marvel Knight Model game but it requires using your imagination to help immerse yourself within the game unfortunately he finds this difficult. With the Star Wars X wing game there was more of a board game feel to it which might be better for him (and me as some of these games can be complicated lol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son has autism too. I first played Kahuna with him when he was about 9, and he really liked it. He also liked Hey, That's My Fish!. Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMullen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, Coops82! I am sixteen and have experience with every one of these games! (Completely in my opinion) I would rule out X-Wing for the steep price, first of all. Then, regardless of other people's recommendations, I would avoid Legendary for its unencompassing learning curve. I liked Dice-Monsters but I simply grew out of it be ause I had few people to play against. Regardless of what Wiz-Kids wants you to think, it isn't that competitive of a game. This might make it a great choice for both of you which is why it would be my number one reccomendation.
My experience with games targeted directly for kids is limited. Again we see that a game like Krosmaster is too steep for its cheap plastic figures. Other games like Pokemon and Redekai are a money grab but I spent years drooling over Pokemon cards. Pokemon would be my second choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coops82 wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking into buying a game for myself and my 8yr old son.

My son is Autistic and likes collecting, so if the game has the possibility of expansions of some sort then that would be great.

Be warned about collectible games that can cost lots and lots of money because they have lots and lots of expansions or permutations. Try to focus on things that might have a few in print expansions, and avoid at all costs things like Magic, or warhammer, or X-wing. Not because they are bad game per se, but because if your son has a thing about collecting.... hooo boy, will you be paying through the nose on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Cooper
msg tools
Thanks again for your replies, there's so much to look into.

My son is going to watch a few videos on YouTube later for some of the board games mentioned. Hopefully he can choose a game to play (hopefully not too expensive either).

For me,i like the look of Carcassonne however I'm a big Marvel/DC fan so the deck building games look appealing.

Is there any decent Marvel/DC boardgames anyone can recommend? The DC deck building appears simple to use and set up which is good.

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for something in the Marvel Universe check out Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. It also has a ton of expansions with almost any character you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael vas
msg tools
mbmbmb
My son also has been diagnosed with ASD. He has aspergers and is high functioning. Games have been a great tool for us to connect, laugh, and spend time. One of our 1st games was monster factory. Super simple tile laying game, very light, very fun. Sometimes we will just sit and build crazy monsters and laugh. He also loves pokemon. My son has a long attention span and will play games that last over 1 hour but our sweet spot seems to be 15-45 min games. Valeria and Machi Koro have also been hits. We play star wars x-wing but it doesn't hit the table as often as we like. It is usually reserved for holiday weekends on break from school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauls Greogor
msg tools
Maybe Rayman series?
I believe it is rather easy and nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner is very collectable. Every month new cards. However, the game is not very easy to learn from the rulebook. Best is to watch a youtube video explaning it. It's difficult for me to estimate if it is too hard. I would say: if you find gaming with your son nice and want to step it up a bit, then pick this game. Not as a first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autism is such a broad spectrum that you need to use your own judgement somewhat (but I'm sure you knew that!)

My Autistic 7 year old has enjoyed King of Tokyo & Minecraft:Card Game. We've tried Small World that my daughter likes, but he usually gives up and just likes acting as "banker" and playing with the dead tokens.

He loves Meeples and we've taken to buying extra 'fun' sets whenever we order from a games shop that sells them so he can add them to his bag.

Now that his reading is starting to catch up (he's barely been able to read until recently) might have to try some more miniature based games, as I've got a box full of Reaper Bones that I let him play with)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kowynia
United States
Bedford
TX
flag msg tools
I would say take a look at HeroClix. Lots of options there and they are mixable. Plus, it is visually cool. The rules are simple and all the info is right on the figure.
Castle Panic is fun too, pretty simple easy and fast. Colorful and lots of manipulation of chips and all.
Have fun! Glad you are finding ways to connect. Been there, done/doing that, enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.