Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: This or Eldritch Horror! Cannot decide T-T rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xsychologist Banks
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
I had just been introduced into Cthulhu madness by Arkham Horror card game and I am totally hooked. Since the LCG is going to take sometime to evolve, I need something to fulfill the calling.

Now I cannot decide between Mansion of Madness and Eldritch horror. My preference leaning toward Eldritch though. That's why I am posting in MoM forum so that I can get different opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dembek
Poland
flag msg tools
Well as the owner of full Eldritch Horror collection, and newly owner of MoM 2nd edition. I would say - If you just have been introduced to Cthulhu then go with Eldritch Horror.

The game is easy, have many adventures Cthulhu alike, you get to know the Ancient Ones, you even get to meet them. Also the game have alot of replay-ablity value. When MoM is brilliant and fantastic. Once you go throu one of the scenarios. You already are familiar with it (like in LCG). So if you are new to cthulhu get the Eldritch. Know your investigators from another angle and meet monsters and stuff you will face in every Arkham Files games.

Don't get me wrong. The MoM is really fantastic if you are RPG fan and love one long and very thematic game, the game is a must have. But in eldritch you will face many adventures and many fantastic (bloody) events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Matt, own and enjoy both but Eldritch would be my choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xsychologist Banks
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
Thank you guys, I will go all-in with Eldritch Horror + All expansions by this weekend then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
As a big fan of Eldritch Horror (all expansion plus many user made Ancient Ones) AND Mansions of Madness 1st and 2nd edition (all expansions, 3 PoDs plus many user made 1st ed. scenarios) I recommend:

Eldritch Horror over Mansions of Madness.

However why not both eventually?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stevenson
msg tools
mbmbmb
I havent played the Arkham LCG yet. But from what they said on the Secret Cabal podcast, it sounds like the LCG is like a card-version of Mansions of Madness. Characters, exploring rooms, etc... so it might be a bit redundant. I LOVE Mansions of Madness but it sounds like Eldritch Horror might give you more of a variety in terms of experience. I also love Eldritch Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zed
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
As an owner of all the ffg Arkham universe games Eldritch horror was my first and favorite and a good next stop for you, the rules in all these games can be complicated because of little nuances, just subscribe to the news feed here and read all the rules conflicts as they come up and you will be a wizard in no time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both, but I have to say that MoM2 is much more "accessible". It's soooooo easy to just start up a game and play, while EH has some setup time. In the short time we've had Mansions, we've played at least twice as many times as we've played EH.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eery Petrol
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To offer a different perspective; I would suggest Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition (MoM). I've played that, Eldritch Horror (EH) and Arkham Horror (AH) several times each. MoM is my favorite.

They complement eachother very well within the Arkham mythos, which each sharing one stylistic vision as well as mechanical elements, but each offering a different sense of scale.

EH takes the characters across the globe. You can imagine each being accompanied by an entire party of companions and taking days, weeks, maybe months to travel.

AH focusses completely on what EH would consider as one city location and lets you explore all the different districts and locations within it. Each character can be imagined to be without a posse, although they can acquire companions during play, and they might take hours or days to venture through the city.

MoM, to round it all up, focusses each game on what AH would consider to be just one location, for example... a mansion. Each character is without extra companions, and their adventure can be imagined to take hours or less (I can't speak for all scenarios, but you get the picture).

To their credit, Fantasy Flight have played to the strengths of these scales. Take the two extremes. EH expands its world travelling into epic, grandiose adventures where you face off against the gods themselves. You'll unveil the Eldritch mythos and each encounter is a tale on its own.

MoM on the other hand, feeds you only bits of the mythos, keeping most of it as a great, lurking unknown. Your very personal encounters build up as one story that gets under your skin. It uses this consistency to make the flavour text more central to the experience.

As I said, my favorite is MoM. I prefer 'small' over 'big', 'personal' over 'epic'. I love the building story text even if this becomes fluff after several replays. It feels like playing a movie. Playing again also feels like watching a movie again. As soon as you get tired of all base game scenarios you can buy into the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xsychologist wrote:
Thank you guys, I will go all-in with Eldritch Horror + All expansions by this weekend then!

If you're going to spend that much, I'd suggest going EH & the Forsaken Lore expansion and MoM 2e.

There's plenty of play in the EH core & FL ads more variety, and you're not (yet) missing that much from MoM with just the core.

That would have the advantage that you get to decide which game you prefer for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eery Petrol
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

And on top of that, I feel like expansions are more fun to buy over time. Many expansions are intended to add a freshness to the game for those who played it a lot, not to improve the experience for starting players. For Eldritch Horror, the 'Forsaken Lore' expansion is the exception to this rule. It adds the stuff that the designers could not squeeze into the base game pricetag. It kinda turns your copy into a premium edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xsychologist Banks
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone for your superb constructive recommendation. I have my conclusion now. I will just buy them both lol! but Eldritch horror first.

Since I am now playing Arkham horror card game, EH can introduce me to the grand scale of Mythos warfare!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great. If you are looking for sweeping and adventurous, go EH. It will also scratch your expansion itch.

I personally prefer MoM and it's intimate, claustrophobic feel.

(Actually I prefer the Arkham Horror board game to both EH and AH:LCG, but let's not over-complicate things!)

Welcome to the club. Enjoy the tentacles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you love miniatures, then MoM. If you can live without miniatures, then EH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gould
United States
Marlborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Solo?
I figured I might as well post my question here since it is very similar:

Same question, but for primarily solo play. My concern is that MOM may lack in the replayability department, but I like the app-driven aspect of it.

I would love to hear people's thoughts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
I own MoM, but EH is my favourite of the two.

MoM is a much better narrative/immersive experience, but in my opinion EH is more fun as a game.

Edit - I'd also add that at their respective costs, in my view EH also offers much better value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bg816am wrote:
I figured I might as well post my question here since it is very similar:

Same question, but for primarily solo play. My concern is that MOM may lack in the replayability department, but I like the app-driven aspect of it.

I would love to hear people's thoughts...

I think MoM has better replayability, primarily because each scenario is completely different. Each game of EH is very similar. Yes, there are some variations, but the game is 90% similar to the previous EH games you've played. MoM2, every scenario is a unique story, and varying mechanics (importance on exploration, or importance on combat, or importance on speed, etc). And I've replayed all 4 original scenarios (haven't tried the two new ones yet) a few times each and still enjoy them. So unless you intend to play every night for the next 5 months, I'd say stick with MoM2.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are people playing the new scenarios, have they been released as I can't see them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they were released with the expansions last month.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

I think MoM has better replayability, primarily because each scenario is completely different. Each game of EH is very similar. Yes, there are some variations, but the game is 90% similar to the previous EH games you've played.

That's totally untrue.
Even with the base game, Eldritch Horror has decent replayability.

Add some expansions, and each game is totally different. And I'm saying that after dozens of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
shnar wrote:

I think MoM has better replayability, primarily because each scenario is completely different. Each game of EH is very similar. Yes, there are some variations, but the game is 90% similar to the previous EH games you've played.

That's totally untrue.

Add some expansions, and each game is totally different. And I'm saying that after dozens of games.

Not to the same degree as MoM2. You're still playing on the same map, you're still going to the same cities, you still have the same general countdown timer. And it really shows if you don't have any expansions (expansions do help with the variety, but in general, it's the same game). Compared to the different scenarios of MoM2, each one tells a unique story completely different from the last, with different maps/tiles, monsters, NPCs, etc. Replaying EH for me feels like replaying one of the MoM2 scenarios. Yes, you get variations like different heroes, monsters, even map layouts, but the overall feel is the same.

Not to diminish your experience, some players enjoy the similar games with variations (I really do like EH as well), I just feel that MoM2's replayability is much broader than EH's.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knowles
United Kingdom
Ellesmere port
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Both!!! Simple answer.

Both games a awsome! Eldritch is the world view, Mansions is the mission view. In fact been thinking of playing an ultra complicated combination of both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
shnar wrote:

That's totally untrue.

I've played eight or nine games of EH ... all against the same Ancient One (Azathoth ... lots of learning games with different people). And I love the game. I've barely scratched the surface.

In comparison, I've played MoM 13 times and have successfully completed all of the base game scenarios. I'd still happily play scenario three with different player counts for giggles, maybe scenario five (although it's super long) once more, and wouldn't mind playing scenario one a couple more times with different people to show them the game ... but I feel like I'm getting close to exhausting the playability of the MoM core. I think I'd need a decent break from it after a handful more plays or would need to buy expansions.

I feel like I could play EH core at least a dozen more times before getting anywhere near burnt out.

That's just me, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
xsychologist wrote:

You made the right choice, have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
There is obvious choice EH. Mom is quite specific game and very limited as well. EH is the best Lovecraft game ever

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.