Dead Men Tell No Tales» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys, just picked this up and it looks like a blast. Reading the rules before my first game this weekend, I had some questions:

1) Does a Powder Keg Explosion add to the Explosion tracker? I want to say yes, but this is a big impact.

2) Captain Fromm is the only token that gets put back into the bag. The idea is to exhaust the bag to exhaust all 6 treasures (or less if you're playing less), correct?

3) How do you tell the difference between crew and guards? Just flipping it over to see who has treasure, or is there a sign on the token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Jreilly89 wrote:
Hey guys, just picked this up and it looks like a blast. Reading the rules before my first game this weekend, I had some questions:

1) Does a Powder Keg Explosion add to the Explosion tracker? I want to say yes, but this is a big impact.

Page 5 of the rules:
Quote:
The Explosion Track

Each time there is a powder keg or room explosion, move the Explosion Marker forward one space on the Explosion Track.

Quote:
2) Captain Fromm is the only token that gets put back into the bag. The idea is to exhaust the bag to exhaust all 6 treasures (or less if you're playing less), correct?

Correct. And when you draw Fromm, you draw a second token. As you explore new rooms, you will drain tokens from the bag. Though I will suggest that you play without Captain Fromm until you are used to the game. The base game is QUITE challenging.

Quote:
3) How do you tell the difference between crew and guards? Just flipping it over to see who has treasure, or is there a sign on the token?

The tokens just look quite different. All the guards are these big bearded skeleton captain looking things. Plus they're much stronger! I have toyed with the idea of little treasure chest toys to make it a little more thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
Jreilly89 wrote:

Page 5 of the rules:
Quote:
The Explosion Track

Each time there is a powder keg or room explosion, move the Explosion Marker forward one space on the Explosion Track.

Quote:

Correct. And when you draw Fromm, you draw a second token. As you explore new rooms, you will drain tokens from the bag. Though I will suggest that you play without Captain Fromm until you are used to the game. The base game is QUITE challenging.

Quote:

The tokens just look quite different. All the guards are these big bearded skeleton captain looking things. Plus they're much stronger! I have toyed with the idea of little treasure chest toys to make it a little more thematic.

Cheers! The base game looks quite challenging, but like a ton of fun. I can't wait to gather my band of grumpy friends, drink some beer, and get all piratey!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Jreilly89 wrote:
Cheers! The base game looks quite challenging, but like a ton of fun. I can't wait to gather my band of grumpy friends, drink some beer, and get all piratey!

It took me about five plays to both get all the rules right and to finally win. As with all co-op games like this where you have randomization, part of it all comes down to luck. But after a few plays, you learn what you can do to mitigate that luck factor.

One tip I'll give you is to keep your eye on the deckhands! Not keeping them managed was how we lost a couple of games. The character that gets free deckhand eliminations should use that to the fullest almost every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we found keeping the rooms tighter together helped (rather than really spread out long hallways). Understanding that there are a lot of clocks against you also took some getting used to (deckhands, tiles, fires). Don't forget you can share actions forward as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
[q="Jreilly89"]
Quote:

I wish there was an easier way to tell guards from skeleton-crew. The art for both show skeletons. Ugh!
But study the art before your next play and look for the "big bearded captain looking things" as jepmn said.
And notice that Skeleton-crew are strength 3, 4 or 5. Guards are strength 6, 7, or 8.

I'd love some little 3-d treasure chest tokens to put in the rooms with the guards. Awesome idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.