Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
64 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My Christmas list ....about to order...are there better alternatives to any on the list? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi

My Christmas list has got bigger every year!!

I'm 47, wife 37, sons 19 and 12. So we generally like filler, light/take that/family sort of games but not adverse to something heavier given the right theme.

Fav's are resistance, survive, dixit, catan,last night on earth,port royal (just got), ticket to ride, king of Tokyo etc.

Heres my list I'm about to order for Christmas and was wondering before I do if there are better alternatives to the ones on this list i.e. same game done better?

> Mr Jack board game (need to vamp up 2 player games)
> Sheriff of Nottingham
> Diamant (2016 version)
> Bang the Dice Game
> Shadows over Camelot (looking forward to this)
> Ice Cool (fun/novel for Crimbo day at least)
> No thanks card game
> Dominion Now replaced with Arctic Scavengers thanks (doctoryes0)>(Dominion back in thanks Eric & Co)
> Mission Red Planet (second edition)
> Good cop bad cop.....(this is looking like it's gonna get bumped...should it?) It just got bumped for Say Anything (thanks Sam & Max )
> Memoir 44 (need to vamp up 2 player games)Seriously considering swapping out for Battlelore)
> Cosmic Encounter
> Kingsburg ( should like this as we like catan)
> Oh my survive expansion (no brainer lol)
> Tobago (looking forward to this)
> Hey that's my fish (arrived yesterday)
> Say Anything

Added
> Arctic Scavengers... thanks to(doctoryes0)
> Raptor..... Thanks to(colossos)

Cheers
Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazmondo123 wrote:

> Memoir 44 (need to vamp up 2 player games)

Consider BattleLore (Second Edition), it's the same system in a fantasy setting with rules that allow for more variability with army building and choice in setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks will check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon is much, much better than Dominion. I'm not a fan of deck-builders in general and I love it.

Good cop bad cop isn't very good at all, especially compared to Resistance. There is no deduction, very few meaningful decisions, and all of the expansions are gobbledegook. Unfortunately, in my experience, all of the 'games like Resistance' are worse than Resistance. On the upside if you have Hidden Agenda and Hostile Intent you won't ever need anything else in the genre.

Mogul uses the auction system from No Thanks (same designer) but fleshes it out nicely with stocks and route-building. I really liked it based on one play.

You mention needing to flesh out 2p games. Have you looked at Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King? It scales really well from 2-4. Its best with two imo, but only because I like the increased tension and conflict.

Also, there's a little gem out right now that's being highly overlooked: Behind the Throne. It's a push-your-luck game that is really fun with 4 and absolutely brilliant with 2. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Finally, since you like Port Royal, consider Oh My Goods! I like both but OMG better. My copy of the expansion should be arriving from Germany soon; I'm more excited about that than anything else that's out right now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon has Dimension on lightning deal today...really neat game that would fulfill a dexterity game in your collection. If not, Junk Art is also really fun. The adults had a good time with Junk Art.

I might consider Colt Express, too, a good programmed movement game that's quite thematic.

Although I like Dominion, you would probably be better off with Dominion Intrigue for more variability. There are better deckbuilders out there, maybe Core Worlds, Super Motherload, Arctic Scavengers...check those out. Also Clank!. I think there are a lot of lists of good deckbuilders here on BGG.

Looks like you enjoy hidden traitor games. Although I have my issues with Dead of Winter, your family might like that one. Another interesting hidden traitor game is Dark Moon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago is really good, you'll like it a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oooo Artic Scavengers looks better than Dominion theme wise anyway.My boys will like the look of it. Just had a quick flick thru Zee Garcia review will check it out properly later.

Yeah thing I will drop good cop, as I think I got a few of these type games already.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated

Also thik I might have to get Battlelore over memoir now as want to play this with my 12 year old and he will like the fantasy theme bette i reckon

cheers
Baz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
Tobago is really good, you'll like it a lot!

Yeah cant wait for this one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a great list of games there. As far as Dominion vs. Arctic Scavengers, I do agree that Arctic Scavengers with expansions offers more intriguing game play, however my family's favorite go-to deck builder is still Dominion. So much so that I sold my copy of AS. Just be prepared to get the many expansions if you like it. That's where the experience becomes very rewarding with Dominion in my opinion. I also agree with you, it can be slow, especially with 4 players. The 2 player game has a much better pace.

For another good family game, I'd also recommend For Sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also get the Kingsburg expansion. Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm

A lot of great modules you can mix and match to add a lot of replay and strategy to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice list!

Tobago is awesome. Def don't change that one.

Mr. Jack is very good. Other great 2-player games: Battle Line, Patchwork, Lost Cities, Jaipur, and Hive.

Hey thats my fish was really fun. We sold it because I got a copy of Through the Desert.

Some other random suggestions based off your love of light/filler/family games:

Red7
Libertalia
Thurn and Taxis
Glen More
Alhambra
Biblios
Elfenland
Isle of Skye
Broom Service
Ra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your list is pretty good, but I made some suggestions based on what your family might like a little more:

Diamant (2016 version) - Try Dicey Goblins
Bang the Dice Game - Try Shadow Hunters
Dominion standard edition - Try Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure
Hey that's my fish - Try Ninja Camp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great shout Armand!! Defo swapping out Dominion for Arctic Scavengers if not purely for the theme. As a Resi,Metal gear and Prometheus fan this is a home run!! My kids will love this as well. C ya Dominion lol

doctoryes0 wrote:
Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon is much, much better than Dominion. I'm not a fan of deck-builders in general and I love it.

Good cop bad cop isn't very good at all, especially compared to Resistance. There is no deduction, very few meaningful decisions, and all of the expansions are gobbledegook. Unfortunately, in my experience, all of the 'games like Resistance' are worse than Resistance. On the upside if you have Hidden Agenda and Hostile Intent you won't ever need anything else in the genre.

Mogul uses the auction system from No Thanks (same designer) but fleshes it out nicely with stocks and route-building. I really liked it based on one play.

You mention needing to flesh out 2p games. Have you looked at Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King? It scales really well from 2-4. Its best with two imo, but only because I like the increased tension and conflict.

Also, there's a little gem out right now that's being highly overlooked: Behind the Throne. It's a push-your-luck game that is really fun with 4 and absolutely brilliant with 2. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Finally, since you like Port Royal, consider Oh My Goods! I like both but OMG better. My copy of the expansion should be arriving from Germany soon; I'm more excited about that than anything else that's out right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:

A lot of great modules you can mix and match to add a lot of replay and strategy to the base game.

I can't agree with this more. IMO this is one of the best expansion of any game ever. Even if for nothing other than replacing the roll for King support module.

I will say though that although both involve dice, this is almost nothing like Catan. It is, however, IMO, way better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is the best! Don't switch it out

Same @ Hey that's my fish. Great games without being too heavy.

Check out Galaxy Trucker for a light-hearted, yet anxiety-inducing (in a playful way) game. Galaxy Trucker and Dominion hit the table the most with my more casual friends who still enjoy some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd switch back in Dominion; it still gets more play at my table than any other two deck builders combined. New hotness deck builders come in every year, but Dominion endures.

It's easier to teach and far more accessible than any other pure deck builder. And that light theme "real gamers" complain about never actually turns off or intimidates anyone. There are tons of expansions and even with second edition it is easy to add to the collection (while other "Better themed" deck builders are fading into OOP).

Alpha gamers who play everything the week it comes out might be over it and I confess it doesn't excite me... And yet it's the one deck builder I'd teach my non-gamer friends, MTG players, new gamers, co-workers and my mom, and I'll know they can all play it together. It's the one game people who came to my Extra Life event requested before they even saw my collection. Not Catan. Not the shiny new stuff I advertised would be available. Dominion.

It's a real, true classic.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tell me you aren't planning on buying all of those at once! Some will undoubtedly get ignored in the shuffle, and that would be sad.

Seeing some of your favorites, may I suggest Escape: The Curse of the Temple? It's cooperative, frantic dice-chucking fun that plays for precisely 10 minutes. It has tension without being a brain-burner or having combativeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah Tobago is staying for sure.

Wasn't gonna bother with Mr Jack but then read some more about it and that's another stayer.

Isle of Skye is also on my radar...nice suggestions there mate thanks..will have a looksie through them all.

Cheers

Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Very nice list!

Tobago is awesome. Def don't change that one.

Mr. Jack is very good Other great 2-player games: Battle Line, Patchwork, Lost Cities, Jaipur, and Hive.

Hey thats my fish was really fun. We sold it because I got a copy of Through the Desert.

Some other random suggestions based off your love of light/filler/family games:

Red7
Libertalia
Thurn and Taxis
Glen More
Alhambra
Biblios
Elfenland
Isle of Skye
Broom Service
Ra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
So what you saying then? I got to get the expansion from day one or I will be missing the proper experience?

Just mindful of the dough I'm doing lol so if the main game rocks and is good to go from the off then can I get the expansion later, or are you saying I need it so just get it

Cheers
Baz

hestiansun wrote:
Horror Leader wrote:

I can't agree with this more. IMO this is one of the best expansion of any game ever. Even if for nothing other than replacing the roll for King support module.

I will say though that although both involve dice, this is almost nothing like Catan. It is, however, IMO, way better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:

Also, and this is only personal preference, I feel like the first edition of the game has much better art than the planned 2nd edition of the game.

HOWEVER if you think the art for the second edition of Kingsburg is fine, then you might be better holding off as I believe the 2nd edition comes with all the expansions included (but don't take my word for it, as I already own both so I haven't looked into this in detail).

Edit: You don't have to, the base game experience is still enjoyable. Just know that the game will be going out of print with the 2nd edition taking it's place. So it might not be available later.

If you get to play games a lot, then I would recommend the expansion. If you do not get to play them very often the base game might be enough. OR, wait for the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb

Cheers for the heads up...will check it out
venrondua wrote:
Horror Leader wrote:

Also, and this is only personal preference, I feel like the first edition of the game has much better art than the planned 2nd edition of the game.

HOWEVER if you think the art for the second edition of Kingsburg is fine, then you might be better holding off as I believe the 2nd edition comes with all the expansions included (but don't take my word for it, as I already own both so I haven't looked into this in detail).

Edit: You don't have to, the base game experience is still enjoyable. Just know that the game will be going out of print with the 2nd edition taking it's place. So it might not be available later.

If you get to play games a lot, then I would recommend the expansion. If you do not get to play them very often the base game might be enough. OR, wait for the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks is good (I own it) but I think I like Coloretto or For Sale better.

If you get Coloretto I would seek out the one with the nice art. The other is vomit on your table cloth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Victoria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
I'd switch back in Dominion; it still gets more play at my table than any other two deck builders combined. New hotness deck builders come in every year, but Dominion endures.

It's easier to teach and far more accessible than any other pure deck builder. And that light theme "real gamers" complain about never actually turns off or intimidates anyone. There are tons of expansions and even with second edition it is easy to add to the collection (while other "Better themed" deck builders are fading into OOP).

Alpha gamers who play everything the week it comes out might be over it and I confess it doesn't excite me... And yet it's the one deck builder I'd teach my non-gamer friends, MTG players, new gamers, co-workers and my mom, and I'll know they can all play it together. It's the one game people who came to my Extra Life event requested before they even saw my collection. Not Catan. Not the shiny new stuff I advertised would be available. Dominion.

It's a real, true classic.

Eric

As long as we're going down the deckbuilder decision tree... Dominion is "the best" in terms of replayability and variety simply because the sheer number of expansions available. I believe there are 10 expansions and the base game. Maybe only 9 expansions, but you get the point. And so will your wallet.

If you have many/all of them, then Dominion can be anything from a boring slog of buying coins and then buying VP, or an exciting swingfest of advantage/disadvantage, and everything in between. It all depends on which cards are in play that game, and who sees the combos first.

Artic Scavengers is probably the cheapest deckbuilder option, as it'll run you about $30 or so. I really like the fighting mechanic at the round end. That being said, it will have less replayability than Dominion+expansions, because there's fewer cards to play with.

There are also other options like the Harry Potter deckbuilder, or Clank, both of which are newer (thus a bit more expensive) options that seem to be pretty well-regarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulm should be on the list. Played it a few weeks ago and loved it!

Karmaka
Stone Age
Colosseum
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
...to name a few more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:

Yep, definitely need to get the Kingsburg expansion. And, It's nothing like Catan.

And Dominion with some of the expansions, especially the newest Empires blows away Arctic Scavengers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.