11 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Evade timing clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
Do you have to be engaged with an enemy to evade them?

My main reason for asking is if I am fighting a big bad that survived around that I previously evaded, they are now ready and unengaged.

Lets say I want to evade them and then try to take them down. Would I have to spend an action to engage them so I can then evade them or can I evade them unengaged (thus giving me 2 actions instead of 1 to try and stab said big bad in the face).

I am pretty sure I have to spend that 1 action to engage but I wanted to ask the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
What does the rulebook say?

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Reference, page 11, in the Evade, Evade Action section, final bullet:

Unlike the fight and engage action, an investigator can only perform an evade action against an enemy engaged with him or her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Yellow Meeple wrote:
main reason for asking is if I am fighting a big bad that survived around that I previously evaded, they are now ready and unengaged.

An enemy engages if:

- they are ready and move or spawn in a location where there is an investigator
- an investigator move in a location where they are ready
- they ready in a location where there is an investigator

So as soon as they ready they immediately engage you again, if you didn't move away. If you did move into their space while they are ready, they will engage as well.

So while technically the above answers are correct, in that you do need to engage to evade, unless they're already engaged to a different investigator, you shouldn't be in a case where your investigator is present in a location with a ready enemy and they are unengaged with you (barring a card that only unengages without exhausting, I guess).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Yellow Meeple wrote:
Do you have to be engaged with an enemy to evade them?

For the generic Evade action, yes, as you can only Evade enemies you are engaged with. Some cards give you more potent Evade abilities that let you Evade enemies you aren't engaged with.

But if you're in a location with an unexhausted unengaged enemy, they will immediately engage you for free (or, if there are two or more of you there, whomever their Prey dictates they engage).

So you can spend 1 action to try to Evade them again, and then if successful you have two actions to kick at their stunned body on the floor.

(One exception to the above: Aloof enemies don't engage anyone unless you engage them first)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
Ahh okay. So if the enemy is exhausted going into the upkeep phase, it will ready and automatically engage me immediately before it is the investigator phase again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Suarez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
My gaming group has named the tactic of Wendy going first in the round, then engaging and evading a bad guy to set him up "The Wendy Shuffle". It is a favorite tactic. Though not when I draw the "-5" chit twice in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
A curious thing in the first Scenario concerning evasion/exhaustion and timing, based on how I understand the rules work -

(Spoilers for Agenda 3a in Scenario 1)
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Exhausted, unengaged enemies will move toward the Parlor at the end of the enemy phase. So, say you're fighting the Ghoul Priest in the Hallway and use an Evade action or ability on it (to avoid Retaliate effects, for example) but you don't manage to defeat it during that investigation phase. It will not attack during enemy phase (exhausted) but since it's unengaged it *will* move one space into the Parlor, leaving you alone in the Hallway (until next enemy phase when it will hunt back into the Hallway and attack, assuming you stay put).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Crisman
United States
Decatur
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered about this specific situation.

Does an Enemy move if it is Exhausted? (Don't have rules in front of me, if it even addresses that issue.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Enemies not being able to move is not a general inherent part of being exhausted as per any definitions I can find offhand.
Exhausted *hunters* not moving is a specific inherent part of *being a hunter*, but that's not really related.

We played this agenda effect as exhausted ones moving as well. Mostly because having the effect say "ready, unengaged" like the hunter rules do would have been so easy but wasn't done, presumably deliberately.
(Edit: Looking at the card again, that text is pretty cramped, so maybe not THAT easy to include and was just dropped for space. I give it nonzero chance to get clarified/errataed that tapped ones don't move; to stay in line with hunter/other movement rules if nothing else)

This can create weird situations as mentioned where someone walks away, but if you particularly don't want anyone to move, have someone else engage them after the evade, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Re:
Apologies, in that previous post of mine I should have linked the source for the rule claim. It's from this FAQ, http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/articles/fa...

Scroll down to the bottom half of the page, where spoilery-ish cards are discussed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.