United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it better in terms of demonstrating how the game works (for understanding purposes) and preventing a fragile environment that would topple over due to poor play, to have fewer players, or more players? Some games work better with small counts because you have more control over the game state with fewer players and they can see the effects of their actions better (Paris Connection and Pax Porfiriana come to mind) while at the other end of the spectrum you have games which both shine and are less fragile at higher counts (e.g. Container). I look forward to trying all of the player counts, but I'm trying to get folks on board and I'm curious what the optimum introduction experience would be (bonus points for why it's that number/range). Thank you.

edit: I think it might be 3 for learning purposes. With 2, you don't get the interaction of alliances as much, and at 4, someone is more likely to get screwed on not having an industry they lead (and thus, can protect from being undersold). I imagine at 5 (but have yet to run through a game with 5 to try it) that you have less control over the game state in identifiable ways which doesn't help for learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
First games of Infamous Traffic are always going to be rough going. The game as a lot of sharp edges.

For learning I'd think that 3 or 4 is probably ideal though I really like the five player game and haven't found it to be substantially longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.