David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a design with pieces on the board that can change loyalties. The pieces should ideally be cardboard tokens (art, name, 1-3 icons). Right now the best idea I have is coloured stands (https://www.spielematerial.de/en/plastic-bases-variable-colo...) but I'm not happy with it as
- fiddly/damaging to swap often
- have to stand up tokens which can obstruct visibility
- terribly colour blind unfriendly.

I would prefer not to make 6 copies (all possible factions) of all pieces either.

Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
what about a token of the faction over the token? maybe a wooden cube

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiarnan Murphy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how many factions are there?

If there's only two you could design them so they are horizontally asymmetrical, making one end distinguishable from the other. That way all you have to do is flip it over and voila.

Theoretically you could do that for more than two factions, it just might be a bit more difficult.

Plus, the pieces would be distinguished by shape rather than colour so nice and colour blind friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:

Small negative: cube still colourblind unfriendly
Bigger negative: obscures things on the token
Also: if you have to pick up the token from the board (move, fight, etc) cube falls off.

Either way, I'm questioning my preconcepts (do the tokens need to change loyalty? do you HAVE to pick them up to fight?), but haven't found a more "smooth & good" solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuirseach wrote:
Theoretically you could do that for more than two factions, it just might be a bit more difficult.

How?

I'm torn between two ways of splitting the "ownership", one would require 3 sides (red, black, neither), one would require 6 (red, black, one of 4 player sides). This immediately made me think of dice, but then there is no space for art/name...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why not just a plate like chits? basically the same as the stands but faster to put under the pieces and wouldn't need to stand anything up, it would just give the pieces a border. You could even make them different shapes to aid the color blind concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiarnan Murphy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
Tuirseach wrote:

How?

I'm torn between two ways of splitting the "ownership", one would require 3 sides (red, black, neither), one would require 6 (red, black, one of 4 player sides). This immediately made me think of dice, but then there is no space for art/name...

I was thinking of standees which could be reoriented to show different artwork/design. You could make them in a few different shapes depending on your needs.
The downside is that more complicated shapes require more pieces which could complicate set up and increase wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rondel graphic on the upper corner of the board with 6 factions. (imagine a pie chart with 6 equal slices) player markers on Rondel showing current faction the player is aligned with. This also quickly shows which players are allies.

This assuming that each player can only have loyalty to one faction at any given time?

This image shows an 8 sector rondel, but you would make yours 6 sector. The added bonus of the rondel is you could put a symbol and a colour on each sector to differentiate the different factions. Also, super easy to move player piece to any of the sectors with no fiddly stands or chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, and reading your post again, it sounds like certain pieces belong to certain players? In this case, each player is a faction?

So how do I mark that player 1 own certain pieces?

1. Can multiple factions exist in one region of the map?

No - then just mark the region of the map owned by a particular player with a token representing that player.

Yes - depending on how crowded the map gets, you can use the above concept, but just group together in each region the player marker and the pieces that belong to him.

Failing all that, easiest option is 6 full sets of pieces, 1 for each faction. Or oversized discs that go under each piece to mark its faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas -- as always if something requires this complicated answers the solution is obviously to "scrap it"... Going to 2 states: player colour/red-or-black) instead, let's see if it works.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you split the pieces into parts:

The piece indicator
The "loyalty" indicator
The stand that the other 2 parts fit into.

a transparent (or skeletal if not transparent) stand where the loyalty indicator slides into the base and thus sits flat and the piece indicator sits upright at the top

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gxnpt wrote:

The piece indicator
The "loyalty" indicator

a transparent (or skeletal if not transparent) stand where the loyalty indicator slides into the base and thus sits flat and the piece indicator sits upright at the top

Basically, a flag, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make the basic token with a white background and let the players put different colored tiddly wink pieces over top of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The pieces on a coloured disc approach is probably the best one, but a lot of this depends on other features of the game.

For instance if there are a few spaces and they're large it might be better to have spaces have different zones for "pieces belonging to..." and move the pieces between those when they change alignment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
xchikyx wrote:

Small negative: cube still colourblind unfriendly
Bigger negative: obscures things on the token
Also: if you have to pick up the token from the board (move, fight, etc) cube falls off.

Transparent plastic tokens of different shapes and colors like bingo chips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
gxnpt wrote:

The piece indicator
The "loyalty" indicator

Basically, a flag, right?

More of a stand that would display 2 things - or a token/stand that can display a second thing.

Cost of stand might shift both display items into being chits or cards but stand itself could vary from that idea - for instance, see http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/579-tin... where a stand allows a die to be carried along with the minis.

Typical vertical stands currently do not easily fit a second card or chit so stand itself might be a custom item - I have no info myself on that.

typical stand

another stand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the board is made of hexagons, you could design your tokens so they have an indicator either through their shape or some kind of mark on them, and rotate them to face one side of the hex to show which faction they belong to, like Shogi taken to the extreme. It means that when a unit changes factions it would literally reorient to a new alignment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
How about colored paper-/plastic-rings, which you'll just throw over the unit? It's convenient, fast and unfiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have enough base tokens that you can just replace the unit with the unit of the appropriate faction.

Maybe instead of putting something on the bottom you put something on the top? If units are standees, you could have a little uniform they wear which is just a rectangle folded in half with a hole in the middle for their head. To switch, just take off the cape/robe/armor and put on the right one. If they are models, you could even use like cloth capes or something that fits over their heads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Brace
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
What about a cardboard piece with a sliding plastic clip coupled with symbols along the edge of each piece indicating the factions? A reduced size Water level tracker from Forbidden Island. There may be wear issues with cardboard, but using plastic piece could fix that (increase in cost).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
why not just a plate like chits? basically the same as the stands but faster to put under the pieces and wouldn't need to stand anything up, it would just give the pieces a border. You could even make them different shapes to aid the color blind concern.

klz_fc wrote:
Transparent plastic tokens of different shapes and colors like bingo chips?

One of these two would get my vote, without knowing the rest of the game/board/whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Callahan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage has a method of showing ownership by using base covers that clip on the bottom. that way the standee just needs to snap into another base to change faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.