Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom,

Thanks for answering my questions earlier. I did have just one small question left. It's not a big deal, but will just help to know I follow the Battle rules properly.

In the Defense Round rules, it states:

"Note that Enemy Battle Units will thus get to attack twice in the same Defense Round"

Can I assume that this should read "Note that enemy Battle Units may thus get to attack..."? From the way I read it, it is possible that an Enemy Battle Unit gets to fight twice, but it's not guaranteed, right?

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing to see here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gregg,

Thanks for the example. However, my (limited) understanding of Battle is different. I believe each of your units only gets attacked once. The ability of an enemy piece to attack twice is on 2 different Roman units. In fact, if you look at the battle map, each Roman piece is only adjacent to 2 enemy pieces. So, if E1 and E2 are adjacent, then E3 would not be. But if there was L2 that was in the space next to L1, the E2 would be used to attack both L1 and L2. If I'm right, then an enemy unit MAY attack twice, but there will be instances where it may not, if only next to 1 Roman unit.

But I'm sure Tom will be along to clarify.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah you know what - I am going by memory and remembering the battle board wrong - I could have, you know, refreshed my memory with the pictures here. I will delete my post.

I think I'm doing it right but I explained it all wrong.

You're right - each legion only gets attacked once but the enemy can attack two separate legion units because of the way the boxes line up. Each enemy can touch two legions and can therefore their attack value can be used twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
lordpolish wrote:
Yeah you know what - I am going by memory and remembering the battle board wrong - I could have, you know, refreshed my memory with the pictures here. I will delete my post.

I think I'm doing it right but I explained it all wrong.

You're right - each legion only gets attacked once but the enemy can attack two separate legion units because of the way the boxes line up. Each enemy can touch two legions and can therefore their attack value can be used twice.

Yep, this is it-- each enemy may contribute its attack factor against each defending Legion it is adjacent to. So, enemy units on the ends will only attack one, but all the others in the frontline will attack two (assuming there's an adjacent target).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks. I know it's a small thing, but if you do other corrections to the manual at some point, maybe just replacing "will" with "may" would help clear it up.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.