Power Grid Deluxe: Europe/North America» Forums » Rules

Subject: Brief question on first building phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrik
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
The rules state that you chose a free city and place your generator on the spot with the 10 on it. Afterwards it is explained that for each of those first connects, 10 electro need to be paid. I presume this is also true when choosing starting locations, correct?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolm wrote:
The rules state that you chose a free city and place your generator on the spot with the 10 on it. Afterwards it is explained that for each of those first connects, 10 electro need to be paid. I presume this is also true when choosing starting locations, correct?

Thanks for your help!

No, everyone gets the first city for free (that is the starting location the rules are referring too). After that you must pay the 10 electros (if the 10 is available and in Phase 1) and the connection fee that is written between the two cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to pay 10 elektro for the starting city see page 6 of the rules.

Quote:
At the start of the game, players have no cities and, thus, no network. To build the fist generator in his network, a player chooses any empty city (not already chosen by another player) anywhere in the contiguous playing zone on the map. He places one of his generator tokens on the number 10 space in this city and pays 10 Elektro to the bank for the starting city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
Bolm wrote:

Thanks for your help!

No, everyone gets the first city for free (that is the starting location the rules are referring too). After that you must pay the 10 electros (if the 10 is available and in Phase 1) and the connection fee that is written between the two cities.

??? I don't find "starting location" in my PDF of the Power Grid Deluxe rules. Where is the rule that your first city is free?

I do find this which says that your first city is not free, but rather costs 10 Elektro:
Quote:
At the start of the game, players have no cities and, thus, no network. To build the first generator in his network, a player chooses any empty city (not already chosen by another player) anywhere in the contiguous playing zone on the map. He places one of his generator tokens on the number 10 space in this city and pays 10 Elektro to the bank for the starting city.

Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
Well, okay then I played it correctly. I did not want to start an argument here, just get a brief clarification as the wording in the German version is not quite as clear as I would like it to be.

Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Phytoman wrote:
Bolm wrote:

Thanks for your help!

??? I don't find "starting location" in my PDF of the Power Grid Deluxe rules. Where is the rule that your first city is free?

I do find this which says that your first city is not free, but rather costs 10 Elektro:
Quote:
At the start of the game, players have no cities and, thus, no network. To build the first generator in his network, a player chooses any empty city (not already chosen by another player) anywhere in the contiguous playing zone on the map. He places one of his generator tokens on the number 10 space in this city and pays 10 Elektro to the bank for the starting city.

Am I missing something?

Nope, my bad!

I guess I must have missed this or glossed over it. Can't see where it would matter though since I believe it is obligatory to select a city and everyone pays the same 10 electros. So in a sense you are actually starting with 40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you do not have to build an initial city on the first turn. It is mandatory to buy a power plant and it would be "interesting" to not build a city and start your network, but you do not actually have to unlike the first power plant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's not only not obligatory to build a city in the first turn, I've even seen situations where it's even rational not to build a city in the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I've got to stop commenting. Sorry, I don't mean to spread bad information. Guess I need to read the rules better. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.