Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal Cadot
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

played the game several times and enjoy it.

Just a question: The generation marker (white cube) has a utility for the solo game (limited to 14 generation if I remember well), but we do not see the meaning of it for a multi-player game. Why would we care about the number of generations? To my knowledge, this is not a condition for ending the game. Have we missed something in the rules concerning this marker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not needed in the multiplayer game, you can optionally use it if you wanted to see how many generations a game takes on average, that can be useful information for future games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is answered somewhere else in this forum.
No, it has no meaning in multiplayer game except, that you know at the end how many generations you needed. And there is a version of drafting the cards clockwise in round 1,3,5... and anti-clockwise in 2,4,6...

But normaly you dont need this marker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23907113#23907113

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1616736/what-point-recordin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Cadot
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies.
I suspected it might has been somewhere in the forum, but there are two many posts now to find it out.

Thanks for the links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
papadjango wrote:
This is answered somewhere else in this forum.
No, it has no meaning in multiplayer game except, that you know at the end how many generations you needed. And there is a version of drafting the cards clockwise in round 1,3,5... and anti-clockwise in 2,4,6...

But normaly you dont need this marker

Not that it would make much difference, but it's clockwise in rounds 2,4,6... and counter-clockwise in rounds 3,5,7... There is no draft in round 1, so the first time you draft in round 2 the cards move clockwise and then switch direction each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They really should have included this in the rules (if they did not), as it would have eliminated all these questions about it.

Here is a post about the search function on BGG that might be useful to you. Some folks also just type in their search terms in Google and get good results as well.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/468416#468416
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack24 wrote:
DUH! I only see one question mark!

Huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
Not that it would make much difference, but it's clockwise in rounds 2,4,6... and counter-clockwise in rounds 3,5,7... There is no draft in round 1, so the first time you draft in round 2 the cards move clockwise and then switch direction each round.

I've seen at least one person suggesting a draft of the starting 10 cards. Drawing a handful that can't be played immediately because of minimum requirements can set you back from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will suggest card drafting to our group, but so far no one has complained about the initial starting hand.

Glad folks answered the generations track question, it comes up every time in our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
They really should have included this in the rules (if they did not), as it would have eliminated all these questions about it.

Yeah, it's an error that it tells you to place the generation marker out for a "normal" game. It's only used for drafting and the solo game. Of course, you can count generations if you want to, but it has no effect on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call it an error, it just isn't strictly necessary. As Conor said earlier in the thread, it really is useful to get a feel for the number of generations a game is likely to take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:
As Conor said earlier in the thread, it really is useful to get a feel for the number of generations a game is likely to take.

Including rules/components that are unnecessary (without an explanation) makes for confusion when new players try to remember or look back in order to see what they're missing. The rules should have included something similar to the part in your quote that I bolded. Simple enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules for Draft Variant, there is this sentence:

Drafting is not used during the first generation
since the first Research phase is skipped (see setup). Cards
are passed clockwise during even-numbered generations
and counter-clockwise during odd-numbered generations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.