Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I know I could probably learn this by reading the instructions of the game but I thought this would be easier and quicker

I saw the Trederra expansion add on in the kickstarter campaign and I thought: "wow, I really like it!".
I don't feel I will like it in combination with Forbidden Fortess theme thogh.

Can it be played as a standalone mode?
How does other worlds mechanics work?

Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
The interesting thing about Shadows of Brimstone is that it is basically setting agnostic. Due to the influence of Darkstone, portals have opened up between this world (what ever that may be at the time) and Other Worlds. Sometimes when adventuring, you may come across a Gate. If you go through that gate, you'll go... some place else.

In mechanics terms, you usually start in your base area (Brimstone mine or the FF temple) and lay tiles. When the exploration tokens shows a gate, you add a gate connector. Once you get a chance to look through the gate, you draw a World card that tells you what's on the other side. Basically any place that has been affected/corrupted by Darkstone through out time and space is a viable destination. Pretty much the only common theme is Darkstone corruption.

If you accept the core theme of Darkstone, its corrupting influence, and its power, then basically any place works with any place else in the theme.

So, no, Other Worlds are by definition not stand alone.

FYI, here's the list of currently known Other Worlds that I can recall:
* Targa (Ancient Dead Ice World), From Core Set
* Jargono (Fetid Swap World), From Core Set
* Cynder (Fiery Hell World trapping a Big Bad)
* Tredarra (Devastated Darkstone Corrupted WW-ish World)
* Derelict Ship (Haunted Space Ship)
* Blasted Wastes (Desert Wasteland World?)
* Forbidden Fortress + Temple, New KS Core Set
* Belly of the Beast (Inside a Giant Monster)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's meant to be spawned when you draw the "Otherworld: Trederra" card and pass through the portal. This can be in any of the SoB Base games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Each Otherworld also has a few other elements:

Every Otherworld has a different base set of rules. They're not horribly complicated, but they definitely give a feel for how this world is different. For example, in Cynder, it's hot, making you more likely to take damage for articles of clothing-gear you're wearing, but you also get more maximum Grit. By contrast, the swamps of Jargono make it easier for enemies to ambush you, but after a fight, you have an easier time catching your breath/healing up.

Every Otherworld also has its own set of threat cards, encounters, and artifacts, and it's easier to find artifacts in Otherworlds than in the Mines (the current "base world" of the setting. So if you're in the Jargono Swamps, it's far, far more likely to encounter the serpentmen than it is to encounter, say, Lava Men of Cynder (though not strictly impossible to meet the Lava Men there, either, due to "wandering threats").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, and in addition to the worlds Joe mentioned, there's also:

Mines (the "default world" of the existing two core sets)
Canyons (outside of the mines, found on the backside of the Blasted Wastes)

And, if a certain stretch goal is reached (I consider it pretty likely), we'll also see:

The Forest Of the Dead (a forest crawling with undead versions of all other monsters you have for the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some missions start in and take place in an Other World, but those missions are the ones from those expansions, so you would know before starting that the mission you are about to play is going to be in Caverns or Cynder or Treddera/Jargono/Targa, etc from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Magnani
Italy
Cesenatico
Forlì-Cesena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I got it, thank you for your help!

I do understand the concept of darkstone corruption but I'm not sure I like to mix things up that much: though I admit that a machinegun wielding ninja spraying bullets against lavamen is awesomesauce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in one of the last updates of ogsob, they talked about the canyons as a location outside of the mines, on the reverse side of one of the expansion otherworlds (im not sure which).

not really an otherworld but might be different enough to be considered as such with its own encounters deck/world card/specific rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
in one of the last updates of ogsob, they talked about the canyons as a location outside of the mines, on the reverse side of one of the expansion otherworlds (im not sure which).

not really an otherworld but might be different enough to be considered as such with its own encounters deck/world card/specific rules.

It'll be on the opposite side of the Blasted Wastes, and yeah, it'll have its own World card as far as I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason La Mar
United States
hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to add... there is nothing theoretically stoping you from starting in another world even if the mission doesn't theoretically call for it. Example the mission "A few Darkstone more" doesn't have to take place in the mines, you could be in Treddara and trying to steal their Darkstone supply... thematically different but it wouldn't alter the mission's guidelines at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Irish86 wrote:
Hello!

Can it be played as a standalone mode?

Thank you very much!

This is probably obvious, but the Trederra expansion is really an expansion. One of the Core game sets is required. Those sets each provide heroes, base monsters and cards that are needed and not included in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.