Subject: Is Mayfair going to print this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest printing was just released last year. They will probably reprint it, eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Z-man printed just enough copies for North America to keep the licence to avoid it reverting, but far fewer than necessary to meet demand. Few, if any, made it over here (and few probably to the antipodes either). Language-based licensing is a bad thing, especially if that language is a widely-spoken as English. Mayfair aren't exactly good at serving the wider English-speaking market either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Z-Man Games handled the other two English language releases. I've found that your ability to get a copy from your local store is highly dependent on just how close they are to the Canadian border. Z-Man English releases, I've found, typically hit the Canadian market first, then hit the States anywhere from 2-4 months following that, and then from there to English-speaking ROW is anybody's guess. I ordered my copy of the new edition of Ora et Labora directly from a Canadian retailer and had it about 8 weeks prior to it showing up at the major online US distributors.

If you are still interested in getting the game, it is available from several Canadian game stores in the Toronto area--not all of them are willing to ship internationally though (well, other than to the US), so not sure how interested you are in covering the charges to get the game all the way from Canada to you, potentially going through a geek middleman who can facilitate the international shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know shipping might be a bit rough but Cardhaus.com still has 9 copies of the New Edition at US$44.99 FYI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aeroguru1978 wrote:
I've found that your ability to get a copy from your local store is highly dependent on just how close they are to the Canadian border.

If you are still interested in getting the game, it is available from several Canadian game stores in the Toronto area...

...and they're not all out of the US retail chain yet, despite anecdotal and regional reports to the contrary. To be clear, there's no licensing going on here; Mayfair and Lookout jointly control Lookout titles, and licensing only applies to any company not named Mayfair or Lookout. The simple fact of the matter is that we're not going to flood the market with a decade's worth of back titles, especially when the system has not cleared completely to our (read "our distributors'/retailers'") satisfaction. We have a list: Le Havre is the next title on it. I have seen three copies of OeL on store shelves since September (Washington, Illinois, Ohio); you should still be able to find it at or near retail with some diligent searching.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games.Lookout Games/Twilight Creations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
...and they're not all out of the US retail chain yet,
and they never entered the UK retail chain at all ... seems to have been a limited edition - limited to North America.
Quote:
To be clear, there's no licensing going on here
I'm not sure that's clear at all. You mean Z-man didn't have the licence to print the last batch or now don't have the licence any more?
Quote:
The simple fact of the matter is that we're not going to flood the market
It'd be nice if just a trickle reached the UK ... we speak English here too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Power Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found Z-man has removed Ora et Labora from their website and also cannot find this title in their price list. So I think we need to wait Mayfair to reprint it. As a retailer in Hong Kong, ordering items from Z-man (Canada) is not easy while ordering from Mayfair items is very efficient. So I strongly hope Mayfair can reprint all those ex Z-man titles for the benefit of our gamers.

Power
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.