GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,170 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: how are people liking it after spending more time with it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
still hyped? i don't need to hear more about the component quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it 14 times and I still enjoy it and my son asks to play most nights. We have mission 9 & 10 left. Any +60min game that gets +10 plays in a month is well worth it in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering I play MvM two week ends in a row, ten hours on each week end, and still wanting to play more, I'd say, for me the game is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Kalista
United States
Crystal City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son(12 years old) and I just finished mission 3 last weekend and we are still loving it. He is talking about us developing some fan missions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
nordlead wrote:
Any +60min game that gets +10 plays in a month is well worth it in my opinion.

I fixed that for you. In all seriousness, my group is loving this game. Typically we play a game 3-4 times then move on. This one has captured the groups imagination. My 13 year old son loves the game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It hasn't lost its luster for us. The legacy mechanic, differing mission objectives, and story (enhanced by Radioplay) really pull us in. We've dedicated entire days just to MvM, and I'm still itching to get it back to the table.

Edit: Just got asked to bring this to a game night this weekend, so other people are clearly just as stoked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostantis Bamidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mb
In my personal opinion
if the game only had cardboard tokens, no miniatures, and no deluxe components, box etc
AND the price was lower
it would still be a very entertaining game
and it would get even better treatment from people who consider premium components to be an anathema to gameplay - for some reason)
and would more closely resemble a co-op puzzle game

HOWEVER,
and bearing in mind the presentation,
this is probably the best game I can think of to introduce new people to the hobby
barring the presentation, it is a great and simple design that would very nicely replace roborally, rocket arena etc for more experienced gamers

It does flaunt its components,
but, since the tactile and toy factors are a HUGE part of boardgaming (for most peopel at least, not those who ONLY look for a math problem solved by complex algorithms)
I do strongly stand behind this game

p.s. sorry, but component quality is an important part of the product
and, in this case, we are also talking about "presentation"
(not necessarily the same as component quality)

EDIT: waiting for PvP and new missions expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Adding two more thumbs-up from me to this thread. This game is flat out fun.

I've played with 11, 15, 19, and 50 year-old kids. All have loved it.

I've played seven times and 'DMed' once (we had too many players). It seems the balance is pretty spot on to me:
* If you don't 'strategize' before the draft, you will fail.
* With modest levels of 'strategizing', the win/lose outcome will balance on a razor's edge. Perfect!
* With excessive levels of 'strategizing' (i.e. the death of fun), the game becomes easy.

I like to play in that middle ground sweet spot and encourage others at the table to do the same. So far MvM has fit that like a glove.

Also, the storyline and Yordle chit-chat in the missions is enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a delightful experience every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after 4 plays with two different groups still fun to play. i want to play it now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I both are still enjoying it ALOT. Enough that he has tried his hand at creating a custom mission...had some good ideas, but it needs a wee bit more developing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
story (enhanced by Radioplay) really pull us in.

What is this? Some background music for the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedmutant wrote:
mavericklancer wrote:
story (enhanced by Radioplay) really pull us in.

What is this? Some background music for the game?

Radio play is found here:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/mechs-vs-minions/c...

We hired voice actors to come narrate a roughly 50 minute story. You can listen to it as you go through the game, if it's your cup of tea.

On mechsvsminions.com we also have two 10 minute seamless loops for ambiance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:

We hired voice actors to come narrate a roughly 50 minute story. You can listen to it as you go through the game, if it's your cup of tea.

On mechsvsminions.com we also have two 10 minute seamless loops for ambiance.

Above and beyond! Wonderful job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Simbürger
Germany
Bad Aibling
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I played the game 17 times now across three different game groups and it is still a blast!

For me, the game could develop to a real classic that will not lose its attractiveness over time and that's because the game is just beautiful, easy to learn, but still leaves you with enough meaningful decisions and enough variability that it doesn't become stale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Very cool! Glad people are enjoying it. For as hyped as this was, I expected to see more reviews. I guess everyone is too busy playing it

How do the scenarios stand up to repeated playthroughs, assuming you've already beaten it? enough randomization to keep it fresh every time? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Harris
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I've likewise been enjoying playing it. I'm playing largely solo (2 mechs at a time), using the hourglass as a 1st player marker. I've also enjoyed playing through the same mission over and over. I don't see this game growing old any time soon. I still have yet to attend my game group, but will hopefully be introducing it with some friends in the next couple weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally played it. The hype was real. Really fun game. Does a great job at balancing strategy, humor, luck and team-work. The Minuteglass moves the game forward, no one can sit around thinking too long about it.

Good going Rito. Keep it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pile on to the love fest.

My son and I have played Mission 2 a few times over and over (winning both) while we wait for my wife to be able to play with us to move on. Each time has been different, nail-biting, and most of all fun. I'm doing it to partly give my son more experience with the programming aspect such that I feel the urge to "coach" him less and less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are nearly done with the missions, and we NEVER make it through scenario games that fast. Ever. Seriously. The only reason we haven't done a gameplay vid is because it seems like there are plenty of videos already heh. I will cry big salty tears if they don't keep making stuff for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Perron
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
quebec
flag msg tools
Started to feel bland after 15-20 plays for me.

But 15-20 in that short amount of time is really good tho...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL JOHNSON
United Kingdom
HIGH WYCOMBE
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
Love it. Played it with my partner and solo it's in my top three easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.