9 Posts

Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Second Annual Armistice Shootout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Friday (11/11) I hosted my second annual Armistice Wings of Glory game (last year it was the Armistice Eve Shootout; this year it was the Oxymoronic Armistice Shootout.) The only one of my players from last year who was able to make it was my friend Chris, but he brought his two daughters, Anna and Isabel, ages 17 and 14; and their friend Rebecca, also 17 (I think). My cousin Karen also attended, making it a six-player game night.

Of my guests, Chris was the only one who had ever played before, and that was only one time (last year). Having the teens show up was kind of a surprise. I mean, I knew in advance that they would be coming; but I was a little surprised that three teen girls would be interested. Karen had said she would come but seemed slightly dubious about whether such a game would hold her interest.

We played a bunch of hands of the game Spyfall to break the ice, but then everyone was eager to move to Wings of Glory. I let everyone pick whatever planes looked good, but warned them off of two-seaters. This led to an imbalanced matchup, but I didn’t care. It was two against four: Anna in a Fokker d. VII and me in an Albatros d. Va., versus a Hanriot hd.1, two SPAD XIIIs, and a Sopwith Camel.

We played with the Basic Rules; no tailing, and being pretty forgiving with rules slip-ups and mistakes. Everyone picked it up fast! I had a cheat-sheet printed out for Special Damages, and in no time at all Anna and Rebecca were arbitrating and advising on the rules based off of that with no tutoring or prompting from me.

My cousin Karen was the first to lose a plane; her SPAD was dealt a “Boom” card in the second exchange of gunfire, but I just had her start another reinforcement aircraft. My Albatros took heavy damage from all directions over several turns, and finally fell from the sky in pieces, leaving Anna’s Fokker D. VII as the only Central Powers fighter on the board. She evaded death and dealt our damage for a while, but finally was shot down.

Then we started a more even match up (two Albatros d. Va.s and the Fokker d. VII versus the Hanriot hd. 1, the Sopwith Camel, and a SPAD XIII). Despite me losing my SPAD XIII early, the Allies emerged victorious.

It was a lot of fun seeing everyone get into the flow of the game. Usually, when it was time to plan maneuvers, everyone just grabbed their cards and studied them silently for a couple of minutes; it looked like we were all playing poker. Then everyone would reach across the table at once, sometimes exchanging cards and helpfully moving one another’s planes, and it looked like we were playing Twister. Then we’d all sit back and figure out who could shoot at whom, passing tokens and range rulers. It was great.

I think they only thing I would have done differently would have been to set up a scenario/mission for the second matchup, instead of a 3-on-3 dogfight. Once everyone grasped the game basics, having a “story” and setting the scene would probably have gone over well. But everyone seemed to have lots of fun as it was.

(edited to fix duplicate photos)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike George
United States
Smithville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great play wish I was there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report...good pics...thanks! So, do you live in KY? Where?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
This interesting article illustrates two aspects of this superb design: accessibility and flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Nice report...good pics...thanks! So, do you live in KY? Where?

Louisville.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
This interesting article illustrates two aspects of this superb design: accessibility and flexibility.

Yes! I love how modular the rules are, and how there aren't pre-set rules on exactly which planes you should use and where they need to start; it emphasizes the story element, player imagination, and historical exploration, as opposed to just looking up rules and diagrams in a rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, nice pictures of involved players that makes you wanting to play again!

A little note. If in the future you will post the pictures in the games page before submitting the post, and then include them from there, you will give them far more visibility. It's a bit annoying because you need to wait for moderation, but usually it's worth.

If you want to post aggain a couple of them in the game's gallery, they are very welcome!
Here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/119866/wings-glory-ww1-ru...

Thanks a lot anyway!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion. I just uploaded some photos.

It must be very gratifying to see people of all ages, from all over, spending time together while they enjoy something you worked so hard to create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes for sure! And that's why I am so grateful to you for spreading the game and sharing the pictures.
Besides, this can encourage others to try to play with people outside the hobby: Family, friends, whatever. The most we spread the game and the better is for it, for the hobby, for the publisher, for me, for the players themselves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.