65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: High quality or low price? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Stern
msg tools
Hey folks! I'm curious to know what is most important to you when purchasing a new board game from a designer you're not familiar with: the quality of the components (for instance, inclusion of nice miniatures), or lowered risk (that is, a lower price)?

My interest in this subject comes from the fact that I'm looking to figure out the optimal pricing / manufacturing setup to maximize support for my own game this coming spring. In addition to offering your thoughts here, if you'd be willing to take a second and respond to my poll, I'd be super grateful! http://www.poll-maker.com/poll887521x4A6B447D-36

(Also, apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum--it's not a design question, and this seems like the "catch-all" games forum, so I figured it might go here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb

I prefer low price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Malmberg
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Quality for anything I am spending 90+ minutes with. For a filler game to throw down at a brewery, give me lower cost.

For example: I acquired The Gallerist and Vinhos Deluxe Edition days before A Feast for Odin--what a night and day difference between for two Vital games and A Feast for Odin ... definitely had an immediate "meh" feeling while punching A Feast for Odin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game has good minis, I'd pay the higher price...$70-$80. Otherwise, I'd like to spend $40-$50 if it's a solid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Price normally

If its a game that looks like interesting game play, then price.

If it's a game that doesn't have interesting game play,looks great on the coffee table, and I have disposable income,then maybe high quality.

Not a whole lot of disposable income lately just to buy something for the coffe table. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malmby wrote:
Quality for anything I am spending 90+ minutes with. For a filler game to throw down at a brewery, give me lower cost.

For example: I acquired The Gallerist and Vinhos Deluxe Edition days before A Feast for Odin--what a night and day difference between for two Vital games and A Feast for Odin ... definitely had an immediate "meh" feeling while punching A Feast for Odin.

100% this. As long as the quality reflects the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality of the gameplay is more important than everything else.

After that...I'd rather own a nicer game, but I'd be more likely to take a risk on a cheaper one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
Thanks for the replies! That makes sense.

So in the case of this particular game (medium-complexity strategy board game with deck-building, 60-120 minutes per play), which of these options is most appealing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I prefer low price.
Ditto here, history of the world is one of my favorite games, and the first edition is rubbish in terms of production quality.

Hell I have played the original Kill Dr Lucky and own a newer (better Quality edition) no real difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Low price. We should love people and use things, not the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
malmby wrote:

Interesting,these are examples of games where quality reduces my desire.

I was given The Gallerist as a gift, and while I enjoy it, I don't feel it supports its price point. I recommend people buy two other games over this one. At $20ish less, I would recommend it to people.

Likewise I enjoy Vinhos and don't see a need 'component wise to warrant Vinhos Deluxe Edition. As to rule changes, I'd be more apt to buy w second edition. As it is, it is not on my radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want high quality and don't mind paying a higher price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream // Benny Carter - The King // Charles McPherson - Manhattan Nocturne // Art Pepper - Smack Up // Dudu Pukwana - In The Townships
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My primary interest is in the quality of the design. Lacking that, fancy components and low prices are irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Low price always. The only exception is if we're talking really horrible cards and misprinting *cough*Mage Knight*cough*

Games with miniatures are a huge turnoff for me. Such a waste. I don't mind (and actually prefer) wooden bits and cubes. Any time I see a game with minis I pretty much write it off immediately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer's history (whether it's their first game or their hundredth) has nothing to do with my decision on whether to buy or not, or any sort of effect on what factors into that decision.

If I expect a game to wind up on my top 10, I'd be happy to get a high end edition, but that's relatively speaking, as if it gets to over $75 street price including shipping to Israel, it's very unlikely I'll even get it.

On the other hand, a low pricetag can encourage me to grab something even if I don't expect it to hit my top 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb

In the mid '00s I'd buy games new on a whim, because they were dirt cheap in the discount houses. I probably picked up 200 games between 2005 and 2010, spending an average of $25 a pop.

Now that almost all games are over $35 and the median price is up around $50 (or more) I go to the used market. I'll wait six months and pick up a copy that a prior owner doesn't want. Half price usually.

It's going to be one hell of a game that gets me to spend $85 on it, and that's only if I've played it first. It's a ludicrous amount of money for what you get.

Everything is cheap in the used market, and you have a lot more information to go on. You pay half as much and double your chance of getting a game you actually like. The math is pretty simple.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
My primary interest is in the quality of the design. Lacking that, fancy components and low prices are irrelevant.

Exactly. I like to think I'm paying money in exchange for design and development, not a box filled with stuff. If the design is solid enough, I'm happy to pay more. As well, if the design is solid, I like the game to be aesthetically pleasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Design wrote:
what is most important to you when purchasing a new board game from a designer you're not familiar with: the quality of the components (for instance, inclusion of nice miniatures), or lowered risk (that is, a lower price)?

I think for me, this is the most salient point. If you are new, I think you are better off mitigating as much risk as possible. A lower price point without compromising on the game I think will serve you better than fancier (but not needed) components.

There are exceptions to every rule - Kingdom Death: Monster, Chip Theory Games, Stonemaier Games - but I think generally speaking it's harder to crack in the more expensive your first offering is. And of the ones that I mentioned there, the more expensive components are critical to the operation of the game, to an extent. Like, Kingdom Death relies upon its minis, and they are huge. It sounds like your game could survive without fancy minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
High quality. Price is determined by overhead costs and opportunity costs along with shipping and handling. Price doesn't determine whether or not I buy a game as long as it is a high quality game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer high quality and am willing the pay the price for that. With the amount of research into new games I tend to do, we rarely get stinkers. I expect them to last, and a low quality game may not. In addition, I see buying new games as a luxury, so as a luxury item, I want something will look and feel nice, as well as stand up to repeated plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my customers care far more about price than component quality. A game that comes out at $25-30 sells FAR more copies that one that starts at $50, regardless of component quality.

Who are you hoping to sell for? If it is the average BGGer, components would be far more important. The average game consumer? Price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stern
msg tools
Quote:
Who are you hoping to sell for? If it is the average BGGer, components would be far more important. The average game consumer? Price.

My gut instinct is that True Messiah is an enthusiast's game, not a mass-market title--but that's why I'm doing this poll. I want to see if my gut is correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Design wrote:
Quote:

My gut instinct is that True Messiah is an enthusiast's game, not a mass-market title--but that's why I'm doing this poll. I want to see if my gut is correct!

Wow. The artwork for your game is truly amazing.

I don't know anything about the game play of your game, how good it is, etc, but I think you ought to consider the example of Road to Enlightenment.

It's a beautifully made game that was made by a first time designer, and while the reviews on the game play were somewhat hit or miss, it didn't really take off, I think in part because it was rather expensive. Eventually it ended up being sold on the BGG Store for $10.

I'm totally not saying the game play is similar, it just came to my mind because it was also a first time designer with a beautiful and ambitious first game, and I think that made it a challenge. That designer btw has had a good amount of success since then, with some smaller scale things.

That would be my only concern for you -- I think sometimes when you are starting it may be worth compromising a bit on the component quality if it gets you to market at a lower price point.

But that's just my opinion. Clearly others here differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
High Quality or low price? Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just stick to:

Good quality, low prices.

Anything else in quality is cosmetics and does not add a thing to game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.