Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my 5 year old is starting to take an interest in my games & this seems like a fun option with the building aspect but I think the bidding rules would be a bit complicated at this stage. I wondered if there has been a no-bidding variant that works well?

Sure, people could just select random blocks for someone to place but that seems rather dull...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I love most about Bausack is that it's less a game and more a set of components that allow for open interpretation. The possibilities are endless, and all you really have to do is determine how pieces will be distributed and how victory will be determined.

For a younger age, random distribution isn't a bad way to go. But here's an idea:

Pick a start player token. Draw a piece for each player, and starting with the start player, each player picks and places a piece. Move the start player every round. Boom, done.

More complicated? Every other round, alternate picking for yourself with picking for another player. Options there: pick for any player vs pick for the next player in sequence. Either way, move the start player every two rounds.

In any event, my favorite victory condition for Bausack is tallest structure. Meaning tallest at any point in the game. I have a small, 10-foot tape measure in the box (could obviously be even smaller, it only matters that it locks). At any point, a player can measure their structure. If it is taller than the previous "tallest structure" then you are winning! Keep it locked. This way, if your structure falls, you have a record of how tall it was.

The advantage of this victory condition is that it encourages riskier play. Last man standing encourages very safe play, which can make for a very long game with very solid structures. Always pushing to be tallest at any cost is a great way to make games more interesting. And shorter, which is a plus.

Finally, I'll say that Junk Art is a great game. Similar, but perhaps better suited to a young player. Plus there's a lot of variety built into the box without coming up with your own ways to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Bandu version and I'm sure one of the game modes is a purely co-op one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.