BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Next step | post Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Hi,

We've been playing Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride. Not a big fan of catan (too much luck) but we like the train game very much.

Love citadels too.

Tried carcassonne - boring. First two expansions add some spice but adding more boggs the game down.

Tried el grande - love it but this gets as complicated as we can bear.

Tried power grid - too mathematical.

- - -

Any suggestions to take it to the next level?

Looking for medium weight games. Easy to teach and quick to set up are an absolute must!

Thinking of thurn & taxis. What do you think?

What about Ra vs Taj Mahal? Taj Mahal too difficult? ra worth the extra cost (costs more than double).

Thinking of Princes of Florence because it's the same designer as el grande. Princes of Florence too dry, too complex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Thurn & Taxis and still enjoy it - after 10 years! According to what you wrote about games you like/dislike, I really think this could be a good choice.

Maybe Stone Age could be worth taking a look at. Sometimes it feels a tiny little bit too long and some people don't like the dice-rolling.
(If you send out workers to get resources, you get 1 dice per worker. I think this is fun, because not every worker is the same efficient and not every worker works as expected - but you can get them tools to add points to what you rolled)... I think is a great medium-weight game with amazing artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend finding a game group or game cafe's that you can try many different games for little $$$. When your first venturing out of those gateway games, you will not know what you like and don't like. The ability to try many different types of games will save you in the long run for money spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Braden
United States
Goshen
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few that are a good transition from those games. For me my transition from those games was Castles of Burgundy (highly recommend) and Puerto Rico. Another game that looks like it would be heavy, but has good theme and easy mechanics to pick up is Scythe.

I would also recommend checking out Scoville.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lithuania
Vilnius/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to consider Samurai and Medici

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taj Mahal over Ra.

You should look at Tigris & Euphrates, but may be at the max complexity you are looking for right now. But interesting mechanism of conflict, and area control. If you liked El Grande, this is a nice game.

Thurn and Taxis is fun, worth checking out.

How many people are you playing with?

Other train games you should look into:
Chicago Express - may be too mathematical, but auctions and train building. Timing is important, do not play with 2. Doesn't play well with 6, 3-5 good numbers, 3-4 if your first game.

Railways of the World - takes a bit to setup, but not complex, pick up and deliver mechanism (not economics), turns go fast, plays well with 3-6 without a problem (I have not played with 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arboretum - lighter weight than El Grande but there are a lot of tough decisions to make in a playthrough. More challenging to play well than the simple rules would suggest. All cards so luck of the draw is a factor, but smart play will win out most of the time.

Istanbul - there is dice rolling but it's optional. You can also draw bonus cards and there's luck of the draw there, but not more luck than Ticket to Ride.

Taluva - simple rules but interesting tactical possibilities. Only luck is the tile draws, but you almost always have options to place them such that they fit in your plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
I will try Thurn and Taxis.

Puerto Rico - too dry. A gamers game, not for the casual crowd.

Taj Mahal over Ra.

Why?

What about Princes of Florence, where does that fit in?

Istanbul - love it, but after a dozen games it got stale. Does the expansion add significant improvement or more of the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Taj Mahal less dry, more fun.

Tigris & Euphrates is not the same as el grande, just similar in complexity and has little bits of randomness to keep tension. Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Matt Drown wrote:
I found Taj Mahal less dry, more fun.

Tigris & Euphrates is not the same as el grande, just similar in complexity and has little bits of randomness to keep tension. Check it out.

Will do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely give Cyclades a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These aren't really medium weight games, especially using the BGG scale but you might want to check some of these out:
Elfenroads (same designer as Ticket to Ride)
Lords of Waterdeep
Bombay
For Sale
Sushi Go! / Sushi Go Party!
Love Letter / Love Letter Premium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say enough about Terraforming Mars but I think its hard to get right now.

Quadropolis might be one to check out -- it's easy to teach and set up, but has quite a bit of strategy.

My family enjoys Tales and Games: Hare and Tortoise, it's a good race game with strategy.

I just saw some reviews for Latice, which is an Amazon lightning deal right now, as a family game it got some very good reviews.

You might want to check out the winners of (and nominees for) the Spiel des Jahres, they are always family friendly games that have solid mechanics.

If you liked Istanbul, you might like Village. Or maybe Grand Hotel Austria. Did you say you didn't like Castles of Burgundy?

Maybe Takenoko, that's a quick set up game with good gameplay.

Edit: Paris Connection is like Chicago Express, but lighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
How many people are you playing with?

Usually we are 3p in total.

Im looking for games that scale well from 2-3p or 3-4p or 2-4p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Steam or Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your opinion of Carcassonne you may like Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King or Karuba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age and Gold West

I think you'd like both of those based on your preferences. Someone else mentioned Lords of Waterdeep and I think you'd like that too.

Oh, and Five Tribes too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:
Maybe Stone Age could be worth taking a look at. Sometimes it feels a tiny little bit too long and some people don't like the dice-rolling.
(If you send out workers to get resources, you get 1 dice per worker. I think this is fun, because not every worker is the same efficient and not every worker works as expected - but you can get them tools to add points to what you rolled)... I think is a great medium-weight game with amazing artwork.

Stone Age would be my recommendation as well. And far from the dice bothering me I feel the amount of luck they introduce is highly thematic.
I also love Ticket to Ride and am not a fan of Catan, fwiw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
These are the top-ranked games 3.0 weight or below (El Grande is 3.09), for more than 2 players:

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
Codenames
Blood Rage
T.I.M.E Stories
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
7 Wonders
Roll for the Galaxy
Race for the Galaxy
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Five Tribes
Lords of Waterdeep
Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
harlaquinne wrote:
Based on your opinion of Carcassonne you may like Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King or Karuba

I consider Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King a good mix of Carcassonne and Castles of Mad King Ludwig, I like it!

Edit: Sushi Go Party! (8 players) is an upgrade sequel to Sushi Go! (5 players) and has variety cards.

My gaming group also likes Citadels a lot, it's a role selection game and plays best 6-8 players and plays differently (still great) at 2-3 players. It has an upgrade sequel that is being released any day now, it's on preorder.

Edit: I feel Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King is a middle-weight game, and the other two light-weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Matijasic
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
I am a fan of Puerto Rico as the roles keep each player active during another's turn, so there is less downtime. Hansa Teutonica has quick turns but can be gridlocked with three experienced players. Samurai and Pillars of the Earth are good middle weight games. Small World is combative, fantasy, like playing several mini Risk games one after another with some survivors left on the board to continue scoring for you. Stay in touch, my collection exceeds 200, and I've been collecting over 50 years. There are a lot of game choices out there. You might also like Acquire, an old Sid Sackson game reprinted by Hasbro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.