13 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Dipping into Blue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I am looking for some strong blue openings.

Also looking for help using all those "make units into illusions" spells. They seem so clunky to use... What are the best enablers for utilizing those spells?

I'll tell you what I am in love with though, Brave Knight + Insurance Agent. Wow that is fun to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jail, 'nuf said

Trycycloid is a good illusion buster. So you could kill 3 opponent units with it and Dreamscape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry I should specify I am playing Monoblue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
VirtualAlex wrote:

Also looking for help using all those "make units into illusions" spells. They seem so clunky to use... What are the best enablers for utilizing those spells?

I'll tell you what I am in love with though, Brave Knight + Insurance Agent. Wow that is fun to do.

Pretty sure that you don't get the Insurance benefit from Brave Knight since he never technically dies, just bounces back to your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultros64 wrote:
VirtualAlex wrote:

Pretty sure that you don't get the Insurance benefit from Brave Knight since he never technically dies, just bounces back to your hand.

Yep, that's accurate. Brave Knight doesn't die, so no insurance payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
VirtualAlex wrote:

Right in the Truth Spec Hallucination has the targeting icon, so if you have Dreamscape already going, or played another Hallucination earlier this turn, it kills up to two units. Truth also gives you Mind Control, but using that to kill is usually a downgrade. There are chances that Mirror Illusions may gain targeting abilities, but those are not reliable.

In the blue starter, you have Porkhand, whose ability is targeted so it kills illusions (albeit gaining their controller a card). The blue starter also has Arrest which targets -- with the limitation that it only works against a "patrolling unit".

Then you have the issue that in mono-blue anything else involving Dreamscape requires you to have either built Tech II and/or a Heroes hall and Jurisdiction is the only other way to pull off a Hallucination + Targeting kill short of Hero's Hall / Tech II.

Law gives you Bigby's midband, some theoretical shenanigans with Jurisdiction and at Tech II Insurance Agent and Arresting Constable.

Peace gives you the $1 cantrip Boot Camp and Drill Sargent for targeting options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Drill Sergeant is a great combo with Hallucinations / Dreamscape. Drill Sergeant is also a great combo with cheap units like Overeager Cadet, which also go great with Flagstone Garrison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brave Knight doesn't work with insurance agent cry

Forget it, I am out of blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jone Oma
Norway
flag msg tools
VirtualAlex wrote:
Brave Knight doesn't work with insurance agent cry

Forget it, I am out of blue.

Blue doesn't really have "strong openings" compared to a lot of the other decks, but there is an early game combo that is very cool, and revolves around Brave Knight and Overeager Cadet.

If you have an Overeager Cadet out without arrival fatigue, play the Brave Knight. Play Manufactured Truth to copy the Brave Knight to the Overeager Cadet and suicide it into something, which returns your Overeager Cadet to your hand, and then you can play the Overeager Cadet again for free.

So, generally, you either want to play many cheap units, very Zoo like with Peace and the Flagstone Garrison. Or you want to stall, until you can establish a fierce midgame with cheap Illusions and Macciatus with Truth. And lastly, you want to lock your opponent out of the game with Jail and Censorship Council until you get Lawbringer Gryphons with Law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never found Law's Tech II to be that good, but that's okay because the Law spells are amazing. Community Service is fantastic card advantage if you can hit a Tech II unit with it, Injunction can spectacularly shut down a large chunk of someone's board and next turn, and Jurisdiction gives you extreme flexibility at the cost of 2 extra gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alextfish wrote:
I've never found Law's Tech II to be that good, but that's okay because the Law spells are amazing. Community Service is fantastic card advantage if you can hit a Tech II unit with it, Injunction can spectacularly shut down a large chunk of someone's board and next turn, and Jurisdiction gives you extreme flexibility at the cost of 2 extra gold.

Law Tech II is very powerful for control. In the early game you get the pig and jail out. You try to hold out until Tech II, then with a Guardian and a Council out, you can follow Constable and a 2nd Guardian and from there, opponent won't be able to do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played a few games Blue vs Green and I got completely destoryed. Like.. I have never lost so badly before. I felt like I was backpeddling all game, could never stabalize. I even had an insane Community Service into Bark Bear the turn he teched them in. STILL got destroyed.

It's just so hard to deal with all the 3/3 units green can put out! Starting with Water Elemental, into this 3/3 centaurs. The wall of wisps in +1 Gold and +1 card patrol makes it so ineffective to attack into the prospector I can't seem to catch up.

How do I deal with these things? I guess it's true that brave knight is a pretty good match for the 3/3 centaurs but it's pretty expensive, especially since green is +1 gold on me every turn (either with prospector or rich earth).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be easier to give more accurate and helpful advice if there were a session report, with that said, I am wondering if you considered going the JAIL route, with flying creatures. ARREST will allow you to knock out an anti-air patrol unit and the flying creatures should be able to attack the other enemy units without sustaining damage themselves.

SPECTRAL AVEN used with MANUFACTURED TRUTH should not be overlooked.

I suspect you might not be doing enough to neuter green from the beginning and are having a most difficult time later on in the game as a result. Just my guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.