Hide
9 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: 4 players - only single copy of expansions needed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Axl Zombie
msg tools
I've bought 2 core sets to support up to 4 players, but as the expansions come out, is this like LOTR LCG where you do not need to buy 2 of each expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there will be playsets of cards in the expansions but if you are playing 4 players that does mean that you have some overlapping classes so if to players with the same class want the same card you might not have enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions will come with one scenario and all the cards that go with that as well as two copies each of the player cards. If more than one person in your group wants to include two copies of a card from the mythos pack in their deck, then you will need to either proxy or buy a second copy of the pack. Small boxes may run the same way, but I don't know that we know for certain yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Search the forums. There are a billion threads about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically 1 of each expansion corresponds to 2 core sets.

It is enough to build decks for four players.

It is not enough to really get everything out of deckbuilding, however.

For that, you will need 4 core sets for four players and 2 of every expansion.

Depends on what you want, really.

If you are fine with, say, having every investigator run with just one class (some of the later investigators will work like this, anyways, but the core set investigators all have two classes), then you won't have any trouble, since there is no overlap there (only some neutral cards might be too few, but that might not be too bad).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
So 2 cores and 1x of each expansion is going to net you a full play set of cards (2x of each player card), but that doesn't mean all four players will have a full play set of cards available for them to deck build within that one collections. I wouldn't attempt to chase that dragon. Just work within the card pool you have and as time goes on it will get easier and more flexible. I mean it's just not feasible to try and support a full four play sets worth of cards for this game within one collection. Are you really going to buy 8 core sets and 4 copies of each expansion. That would be incredibly expensive and also not a good investment considering how many cards would go unused from game to game. That said if you have the cash more power to you.

It's an opinion, but I feel after having played the game for a while that at 4 players it's easier for investigators to specialize in their main faction. That will help with the card overlap problem. Also as the player card pool expands you will have more options available to each faction and therefore less competition for the same cards. So the problem starts to work itself out. Also I think it is desirable to force card diversity. Makes things more interesting if you don't just see the same cards in all the players decks.

If this all sounds not good to you then now would be the time to pull the ripcord
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is easy enough to make proxies, especially if you sleeve.

Just put the cards in the color copier, snip them out, and put them in a sleeve with another boring card behind them, for heft and card back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llessur Nosnikliw
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From a strictly deck building for the beginning of a campaign standpoint, it could be tough for the characters overlapping. But, from an upgrading standpoint you should be fine.I think we also need to remember that the core set characters have a main class, and a secondary (so the upper level upgrades will not be in short supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catavari wrote:
I think we also need to remember that the core set characters have a main class, and a secondary (so the upper level upgrades will not be in short supply.

Unless, of course, expansion characters with the same main class as a core hero want to access the same higher level cards from the core set (and vice versa).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.