Popular Tags: [View All]
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after much playtesting and tweaking, the final version of my solo rules for Ferox are available in the file section for download (in a printer-friendly version).

Ferox Solo Rules - Printer Friendly Version

These rules allow you to play as the film crew and use only the components included in the box. Play for the film crew is exactly as written in the rules, the tribal warriors follow a simple set of one-page rules. In my play-throughs of the solo rules (at normal difficulty) I usually make it to the sixth encounter with 1 or 2 crew left, but it is a toss up whether they will make it to the chopper.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, man! Thanks! Any tweaks/differences between this ruleset and the previous one (which I printed and cut for a perfect fit in the box!)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcmugwump wrote:
Great, man! Thanks! Any tweaks/differences between this ruleset and the previous one (which I printed and cut for a perfect fit in the box!)?

This is identical to the last ones in the original thread. If you printed the most recent ones from that (if you did the printer friendly then you definitely did) then you are good to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I need an official answer, more just curious:

A number of the response cards are ones that will never be triggered by the rules as written -- as they're drawn in response to the first card or crew exposure each turn, ones that are played in response to, say, a warrior being killed will never take effect in the solo game.

Is that how you generally played it? Last night I tried a game in which I allowed the AI to play the response later in the turn if the condition was met which seemed to work pretty well too, as well as occasionally giving me some interesting decisions -- for instance, if my crew exposure reveals a somewhat nasty response to my attack, is it worth pressing on with playing an attack card, or do I forge ahead anyway?

I honestly think it works fine either way (with slight variations in challenge level, of course.) Just wondered if you'd also tried it both ways and settled on one for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
Not that I need an official answer, more just curious:

A number of the response cards are ones that will never be triggered by the rules as written -- as they're drawn in response to the first card or crew exposure each turn, ones that are played in response to, say, a warrior being killed will never take effect in the solo game.

Is that how you generally played it? Last night I tried a game in which I allowed the AI to play the response later in the turn if the condition was met which seemed to work pretty well too, as well as occasionally giving me some interesting decisions -- for instance, if my crew exposure reveals a somewhat nasty response to my attack, is it worth pressing on with playing an attack card, or do I forge ahead anyway?

I honestly think it works fine either way (with slight variations in challenge level, of course.) Just wondered if you'd also tried it both ways and settled on one for a reason.

The first time I take an "action", i.e. play a card or expose a crew, each turn I flip a response card. If it is related at all to that first action I am taking, I will trigger it when appropriate. For example, the warrior being killed card, if it is flipped in response to an attack, the first warrior killed will result in the card being played.

If the card is not related to the action I am taking, it has no effect. For example, if am exposing a crew as my first step in a turn and I flip a "cancel an item" card, the card has no effect even if I play an item card after I have exposed the crew.

In other words, if the card flipped is playable at any point during the first action you take (i.e. play item, play action card, expose crew) play it when applicable.

That's how I intended it to be played anyway. Feel free to modify as you wish for personal enjoyment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for this variant! Here's a small gold tip.

I guess you're already considering a Film Crew AI version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.