GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,624 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Possible Spoilers] Before starting Game 1... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Friedman
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hey all,

Just finished up the Prologue and will be starting Game 1 within the week. Our question is this:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Since we destroyed our leader cards at the end of the prologue and we don't receive new ones until after setup of Game 1, is it safe to assume that we play Game 1 without Fortune and Reputation tokens? If we're reading the rules correctly, you would be selecting new leader cards AFTER the phase of setup where you would normally receive your tokens... Not sure if we're thinking into this too much, but what did everyone else do?


Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Ratliff
msg tools
Nope, you'll get those. Some of the province board's bonuses might allow you to increase one of those numbers too, as one of our group's did, so they'll get that extra token as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
verrey matthieu
msg tools
mb
you dont have to destroy anithing after the prologue !!
Do not put out the target glory marker. The prologue ends a
fter all prologue milestones have been reached. You will not do any end
game upgrades.


( see the " welcome to seafall " sheet !!! ( you have just to destroy the " prologue " cards ...not to make a complete end game upgrade !!!

You have only to put the ship and all in the box..and restart a new game with game 1 setup ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jozwiak
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Usul68 wrote:
you dont have to destroy anithing after the prologue !!
Do not put out the target glory marker. The prologue ends a
fter all prologue milestones have been reached. You will not do any end
game upgrades.


( see the " welcome to seafall " sheet !!! ( you have just to destroy the " prologue " cards ...not to make a complete end game upgrade !!!

You have only to put the ship and all in the box..and restart a new game with game 1 setup ...


Not true.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You rip up your leader portrait cards and the milestones after the prologue
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not 100% clear from the rules, but I would definitely suggest that you start with the tokens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason John
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
This question will be answered in the "read after setup of game 1" milestone.

Spoilers for after Game 1
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The per-faction legacy "decision" may result in a increase of reputation or fortune. For this reason, the distribution of the tokens is done AFTER the decisions are made.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a milestone that indicates you must read an entry before the setup of game 1. That is relevant to your question.

Short answer is that you will have luck and reputation in game 1, just like every other game (unless there's something happening much later that changes this).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
verrey matthieu
msg tools
mb
yep , sorry ...but only the leaders , what i mean is i look at games reply and i see so many player end prologue as a normal game !!!..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Filla
United States
Hales Corners
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Just so I am clear:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Do you tear up all ten leader cards after the Prologue? Or just the ones you actually used during the Prologue?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjfilla wrote:
Just so I am clear:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Do you tear up all ten leader cards after the Prologue? Or just the ones you actually used during the Prologue?

(Prologue spoilers)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
ONLY the leaders in play! Don't rip up the out-of-play leaders!
(Game 1 spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You will need them for the "First Game" milestone
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Filla
United States
Hales Corners
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thanks - that's what we thought.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just as a quick aside, whenever there's a doubt about what you should destroy, it's okay to "Destroy: Remove the part from the game permanently (this and all future games). Rip it, burn it, shred it, or just set it aside."

Normally I like ripping the cards up, but when we had some confusion on this particular case, we decided we could always rip them up later once we were more certain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. In my game, when we complete milestones (or are told to remove anything else from the game), we just have the player put an "X" on the item in their color ink, then store it in one of the unsealed boxes (the game's trash can). That way we always have it to refer to later. I recommend this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorrt wrote:
Not true.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You rip up your leader portrait cards and the milestones after the prologue


Regarding this rule, does anyone else find this a stunningly odd game design choice?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hey everyone, let's play a fun game with theme! Ok, first pick your favorite portraits, then play a very short piece of the game, and destroy the one you chose as your favorite. Don't worry, you'll get someone that nobody wanted in the first round as a replacement!!! I know it's not a big deal and has no effect on game play, but it really seems weird to trash your first choice after so little play ... I set mine aside, and eventually house-ruled to hang the portrait in my province anyway. My old and current rulers look nice together.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenchaney wrote:
Regarding this rule, does anyone else find this a stunningly odd game design choice?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hey everyone, let's play a fun game with theme! Ok, first pick your favorite portraits, then play a very short piece of the game, and destroy the one you chose as your favorite. Don't worry, you'll get someone that nobody wanted in the first round as a replacement!!! I know it's not a big deal and has no effect on game play, but it really seems weird to trash your first choice after so little play ... I set mine aside, and eventually house-ruled to hang the portrait in my province anyway. My old and current rulers look nice together.

I understand why they did it (to establish early on a sense of permanence), but I agree that I dislike the rule. In our game, we used a modification that I recommend:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
When you're picking leaders, you go around the table twice. The first time around, you pick a leader card and store it in your faction box. The second time around, you pick a second leader and start playing the prologue with that one...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind that rule personally, but...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It would be a lot smoother for everybody if there were a greater selection to begin with. For instance, one guy I play with wanted to pick the black guy, but then he got destroyed, and there was nobody else like him at all left. So I think he ended up with an Asian woman as his descendant?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option that could work is
Spoiler (click to reveal)
To have a second set of characters, with artwork deliberately designed to look like (younger) relatives of the first set, in a sealed packet...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas - I like the suggestions.

The point about establishing permanence is a good design decision to set the tone, but the way it was applied is still baffling.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I don't mind that rule personally, but...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It would be a lot smoother for everybody if there were a greater selection to begin with. For instance, one guy I play with wanted to pick the black guy, but then he got destroyed, and there was nobody else like him at all left. So I think he ended up with an Asian woman as his descendant?


The same thing here. I personally fully understand the rule and found it a great way to set the tone, but also found it very vexing that the game had multiple caucasian and asian characters, but only one black one. It seems so logical to create at least one portrait for each gender of an ethnicity. Especially when considering the events.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.