$35.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
54 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good worker placement starting games for someone who has never played one? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Steele

Gallipolis
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi! I'm just getting into the hobby in a serious fashion and I've never played a worker placement game. I like simple or medium weight rules and games and was wanting suggestions for good intro worker placement games for me and my group to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep seems to be one that gets recommended a lot. I like it and it is easy to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berger
United States
Wadsworth
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is solid. Another one I would recommend would be Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiders of the North Sea
Lords of Waterdeep
Stone Age
Viticulture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
New Bedford
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne, is in my oppnion the true starter worker placement game, though I know others will disagree about it being a true WP game.

Stone Age
Lords of Waterdeep
Base Viticulture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Definitely try
Stone Age
Lords of Waterdeep

think about
Tikal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with above - Lords of Waterdeep and Stone Age are very good worker placements that are easy to teach and fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Stone Age.

Ganybyte wrote:
Carcassonne, is in my oppnion the true starter worker placement game, though I know others will disagree about it being a true WP game.

It indeed seems quite a stretch to call Carcassonne a worker placement game. E.g. there are not specific places continually available to all players when vacant. There is no characteristic concept of a worker placement phase, then a separate phase to resolve the selected actions. Indeed some of the placed meeples never come back in Carcassonne. And "resolving" a "worker" in Carcassonne does no real "actions" except giving points. Etc.

One might as well call Go a worker placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of my game collection is worker placement and Stone Age is not only one of the most accessible, but it's also one of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele

Gallipolis
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Will definitely be looking into these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for the default recommendations: Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep. I'm an experienced gamer and still think they are among the best worker-placement games (if you take the "mandatory quests" out of the latter, that is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other really fun options for gateway worker placement games are:

Yakitori
Gear & Piston

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Burger Boss

these other games like Waterdeep.. they're fine but overpriced and themeless. Burger Boss is actually MORE thematic and WAY cheaper, but otherwise really quite comparable to the base Waterdeep game.

Note that "Worker placement" is just one of so so many mechanisms, and people don't really demand other mechanics in the same way as this, mostly as these games you're being quoted are mostly JUST that one huge mechanic with not much else of interest going on. I'd really really urge you to NOT look for Worker Placement games and instead look for games that you think look great, no matter what the principle mechanic in them is.

But if you want the bestest war / area control game that also includes a worker placement mechanic, Dominant Species is a fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Coal Baron when you have a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele

Gallipolis
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not just looking to only get into worker placement or 1 style of mechanic. My collection so far has somewhat of a variety of mechanics and I do just try to get games that look fun or interesting to me regardless of mechanics/reviews/etc. I just want to try out the mechanic to see if I actually enjoy it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Cake
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkStar13 wrote:
Hi! I'm just getting into the hobby in a serious fashion and I've never played a worker placement game. I like simple or medium weight rules and games and was wanting suggestions for good intro worker placement games for me and my group to try.

I introduced someone who had never played a worker placement game to the mechanic with A Feast for Odin . They had a mental breakdown shortly after I explained placement option 53.

Lords of Waterdeep would get my nod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Ash
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the lighter scale, but we really enjoy Champions of Midgard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep.

Played this recently with someone who isn't a huge gamer and they won the first time. Their thoughts? "This is like Agricola, only way easier."

It's worker displacement distilled to its most core components with just enough to make interesting. Highly recommend that game.

Stone Age is also a good beginner game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture, definitely (especially if you enjoy a game with a strong theme). The base game is quickly graspable but still immensely enjoyable even after many replays. Then, you can trick it out all sorts of ways with the Tuscany and Moors expansions. Plus, the art and production is beautiful.

After a single (solo!) play, it skyrocketed to become one of my favorite games, and I don't see it dropping much anytime soon.

Edit: As far as I can remember, this was also my introduction to the worker placement mechanic. I'm equally hooked to it as I am to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture is excellent. However, I do think it is more involved than either Waterdeep or Stone Age. I'd suggest Viticulture if you find the theme significantly more appealing than the other two and if you are comfortable with a medium-weight game vs a lighter game.

Not that Viticulture is super complicated, but it has more moving parts than the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is the perfect basic worker placement game, and almost the only one I need. Also, dice.

Also, Carcassonne is definitely a worker placement game. Controversy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Xx
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely stone age. It's always a hit with 'new' gamers we introduced it too. My group isn't a fan or Lords of Waterdeep because they think it's too simple. I haven't played it, but that still sounds like a good game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep or Stone Age. If I had to pick just one, I'd go with Stone Age; it's more fun with the dice, which a lot of non-gamers like because a little randomness usually appeals to those who don't want to get invested in learning the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.