Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to project the app onto a larger screen, my group complained it was hard to see the text if the were at the far end of the table from the ipad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use laptop, the application is available on steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial thoughts would be, use the steam version with a big computer monitor, or use apple tv to connect to a large screen tv or projector. Not sure if those were the suggestions you were looking for.

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
I use a laptop connected to a standard sized monitor. You could also use a chromecast if you have one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you Chromecast from the app I didn't see the little box and arrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there would have been no app in this game, but instead a deck of cards, would you also have complained that not everyone could read them? Would you all bunch up together to read the text on each card as its being drawn?

The app is nothing more than a giant deck of cards. There is no reason for everyone to read it other then the guy whose turn it currently is. Read the text aloud, perform your test (or seed the discovered room, or whatever it is you need to do) and proceed to the next action. When your turn ends, pass around the tablet to the next player.

Seriously, there is nothing interesting to see on the app that is not already on the board in front of you. This is a board game; look at the board. The app is just a deck of cards: nothing more, nothing less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an Apple TV, you can project the game from iPhone iTouch or iPad on to any TV. Not sure about from a Mac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's not a deck of cards its an app that should be able to make larger and people requested it so I asked a question, no reason to get all pretentious and try to make everyone experience things through your lense

Vardaine wrote:
If there would have been no app in this game, but instead a deck of cards, would you also have complained that not everyone could read them? Would you all bunch up together to read the text on each card as its being drawn?

The app is nothing more than a giant deck of cards. There is no reason for everyone to read it other then the guy whose turn it currently is. Read the text aloud, perform your test (or seed the discovered room, or whatever it is you need to do) and proceed to the next action. When your turn ends, pass around the tablet to the next player.

Seriously, there is nothing interesting to see on the app that is not already on the board in front of you. This is a board game; look at the board. The app is just a deck of cards: nothing more, nothing less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MOHRING
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I personally use the app as a keeper helper and read everyones tests for them. But I was thinking chromecast to a tv or projector from steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing something in Chromecast? I thought the app had to have the little icon or an option to stream out? Can I just stream my screen always?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
westcl2 wrote:

I thought current Android could chromecast anything, but I might be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mckay
United Kingdom
Westerham
Kent
flag msg tools
Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
mbmb
Pico pocket projector, £60 and 100 inche screen. Hooks to your phone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
westcl2 wrote:
Am I missing something in Chromecast? I thought the app had to have the little icon or an option to stream out? Can I just stream my screen always?

There is a feature to cast whatever's on your screen, but it's Android only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
westcl2 wrote:
Well it's not a deck of cards its an app that should be able to make larger and people requested it so I asked a question, no reason to get all pretentious and try to make everyone experience things through your lense

No need to be overly defensive about it. I was merely providing an alternative point of view. Feel free to ignore it as you please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
If you have an Apple TV, you can project the game from iPhone iTouch or iPad on to any TV. Not sure about from a Mac.

You can from a mac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

You can from a mac.

Gracias!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
westcl2 wrote:

Yes you can and it works great. When we play we move the table to in front of the telly and project the image onto the television. It makes reading the text a lot easier and everyone can share the solving of puzzles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:
westcl2 wrote:

Yes you can and it works great. When we play we move the table to in front of the telly and project the image onto the television. It makes reading the text a lot easier and everyone can share the solving of puzzles.

I realize that not all groups are the same, but I personally don't like sharing things like puzzles unless the player explicitly asks for help. Players should always feel like they have full control over their turn, without unsolicited alpha gamers telling them what is "best".
I get that this is a cooperative game and there is a need to discuss strategies, but I feel that should stay away from the specific actions and individual challenges like the puzzles.
That said, mirroring to a TV is a great way to keep people engaged between turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
now i just have to figure out how to chromecast from my phone..... can I send it to other devices like a roku or chromecast only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
err404 wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:
westcl2 wrote:

I realize that not all groups are the same, but I personally don't like sharing things like puzzles unless the player explicitly asks for help. Players should always feel like they have full control over their turn, without unsolicited alpha gamers telling them what is "best".
I get that this is a cooperative game and there is a need to discuss strategies, but I feel that should stay away from the specific actions and individual challenges like the puzzles.
That said, mirroring to a TV is a great way to keep people engaged between turns.

Yes a player should (of course) have control of their turn but if they do ask for help it's not easy to help when sharing a smart phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
90" with Apple TV : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andris Slisans
Latvia
Kekava
Kekavas novads
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonbaz77 wrote:

I just bought this game, and I have option to double my phone's screen on TV. Is it better if all players can see what is in app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gt99 wrote:
jasonbaz77 wrote:

I just bought this game, and I have option to double my phone's screen on TV. Is it better if all players can see what is in app?

It is entirely unnecessary; see my post above. However, I do behoeve that a phone is a little cumbersome to use for this app as the icons you need to press are quite small in that case. It's best you use a laptop or tablet for this. But beaming it on a television as shown here detracts immensely from the game imho and will not solve the phone problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gt99 wrote:
jasonbaz77 wrote:

That depends on several things:

1. The size of your phone's screen
2. How good the eye sight of your player's is
3. How good your players are at solving puzzles. The 5 code mastermind puzzle is a lot harder than any of the puzzles from the 1st edition.
4. If you want to share the 'admin' (e.g mainly finding and laying down the tiles and counters and resolving the effects of the mythos phase)

It is certainly not essential but after two games where all the players found reading small text on a small phone display annoying and distracting we would not go back to using a smart phone's tiny screen.

On the other hand if your TV display is only double the size of your phone screen then your phone screen is either very very big or you have a very small telly (<-I'm joking)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Wells
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple options that are carry-overs from my days with Golem Arcana:

If you're on an Apple device and have access to Apple Air (or whatever they call it) this is the simplest way to cast onto a TV, and what we typically used for demos and tournaments. I don't believe this requires wifi.

Google Chromecast is another excellent option for Android users, but has the distinct disadvantage of requiring a WiFi connection.

MicroCenter offers a dongle that will go from a certain USB output to an HDMI input, but i never used this personally. This was Harebrained Scheme's genius solution that they used at GenCon every year. Works great without wifi, but unfortunately i have no idea how this works, just that the part came from MicroCenter.

I should get a picture of it, but a friend of mine built a 'board lift' out of plywood to lift the board above the base of his laptop for this and Descent.

Of course, the nuclear (and the option i chose) option is to purchase a Microsoft Surface, which works wonderfully for this game and Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.