Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I preordered the Stonemaier Token Trilogy in May. I haven't yet received it (the shipping label appears to have been created), and yet it is currently available at an online store for about 10 bucks less.

I'm less than thrilled that I could get it sooner and cheaper and kept my money for 6 months.

Everyone has different expectations about preorders but Stonemaier definitely didn't meet mine in this regard.

I don't know if this is the right place to comment and vent a bit, but there is no game forum for this accessory, and well, it irritated me!

Comments are welcome. What are your expectations concerning preorders? What motivates you to preorder something? Perhaps I need a preorder course correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not finding it anywhere cheaper than what I paid for it (nor can I find it immediately available).

Major online stores have it for more than what I paid and still on pre-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$126 at MM, available now. I paid $136.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I paid $99.

I don't usually use flat pre-order. My one negative experience was with Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Which I foolishly pre-ordered at retail. The only negative part of the experience was the price.

I have pre-ordered through kickstarter and my experiences there have been mixed, but that topic is discussed in several other threads, I think.

I think the GMT500 system is pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk Agathon wrote:
Comments are welcome. What are your expectations concerning preorders? What motivates you to preorder something? Perhaps I need a preorder course correction.

Assuming you preordered direct from Stonemaier...

You're not likely to get rock bottom pricing direct from a publisher. Most publishers have to keep prices closer to MSRP since it's bad business practice to undercut distributors. So why order direct then? For one, some of us like the idea of directly supporting small indie game companies. without a distributor, more of the profit goes to the creators, who can then create more games/accessories.

If your goal is to get product as cheap as possible, I'd advise waiting until it goes on sale at CSI or MM.

Edit: MM has it for $133. I'm confused how it's on sale for $126?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
as someone who in the past buys directly from publisher, I have rarely paid what it can be bought at CSI or MM. I tend to pay more when bought from the publisher.

I by from the publisher, when I want to support them and make sure they make more money to stay in business longer.

For MOST publishers, I wait until it hits the stores so that I can optimize my own money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn’t realize that that MM was selling the three sets for $133. They're selling the three individual boxes for $42 a piece ($126). Im guessing the case for the three together is the reason for the higher cost. Regardless, it's still less than what I paid.

I completely respect your point about supporting small indie companies. That is a valid reason to pay a little more and wait a little longer.

If that was the purpose of this preorder, to better support a small company, at the expense of paying more, and getting it later, I missed that. Lesson learned on my part.

I mean, I am talking about 10 bucks or less, and a week or so of time, so it's not as big a deal as I've apparently made it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave maltbie
United States
hamilton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked my paypal account history for my preorder of the token trilogy. I believe it was a total of $106 (April 2016).
djm

link to stonemaier token page -

http://stonemaiergames.com/games/treasure-chests/adventure-a...

the listed MSRP price is $60 per tome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djm999 wrote:
I checked my paypal account history for my preorder of the token trilogy. I believe it was a total of $106 (April 2016).
djm

link to stonemaier token page -

http://stonemaiergames.com/games/treasure-chests/adventure-a...

the listed MSRP price is $60 per tome...

Paid $136 myself. I checked before I posted. I guess ordering it in May cost me $30 bucks. Like I said, if I had known that ordering it in May would have cost me more money and time than ordering it today, I would've waited. Hindsight I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave maltbie
United States
hamilton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, now this makes sense...from a Stonemaier email, the pre-order ended 5/1/16..
djm

Time-Sensitive Updates
Token Trilogy & Metal Coins: The pre-order campaign for the 22 new resource tokens and reprints of the metal coins ends on May 1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any particular reason why you don't cancel your order and order it somewhere else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
Is there any particular reason why you don't cancel your order and order it somewhere else?

The order's label has been created. I figure it wouldn't be worth the hassle at this point.

Good point, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
djm999 wrote:

Yep.
$99 token trilogy ($133 on MM)
$25 Scythe metal coins ($21 on MM)
$25 Viticulture metal coins ($21 on MM)
$7 shipping

Ordered the trilogy as soon as it was available, and the Stonemaier coins were at thirty cents per coin, versus fifty cents. Why coin KS are so *bleeping* complicated when miniatures aren't, I don't know. The Stonemaier coins are a "reprint" and I didn't know if MM would carry them, so I bought them. One less pointless gaming bling to chase down.

Of course, I just opened Dominion Empires and, if you don't mind tokens instead of coins, you get *96* metal tokens. $22 on a CSI sale better spent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.