United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Copying from the facebook group:

Rescue Run is out today!

http://bit.ly/starrealmsnovel - Kindle Version

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1940154146/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=... - Physical version.

Launch week is very important to books. So if you want to see this take off and make Star Realms into the most explosive, hottest brand out there, here's what you can do:

1. Buy the book, of course. Sales/Rankings on amazon are the biggest helps.
2. Leave a review on Amazon, especially if you already purchased the book. You can leave a review even if you've only read a sentence, don't worry about it. What this does is sets amazon's "if you like this..." algorithms so that other people see it.
3. Leave a review on Goodreads. If you only have time for one, do Amazon, that's where it really helps most. But all are still helpful and it's here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32980868-star-realms
4. Blast out the links on social media. Please do this!! tag me here or tag @tbr_otomo on twitter and I'll retweet.
5. If your'e on boards like Reddit or BGG or other sci-fi/gaming boards, post about it with the links! If you blog, same thing. I'll try to blast those out too, message me if you do or post them in the comments here and I'll share them everywhere.

Thank you all. This community has been the best through this and I am so happy and blessed to be a part of it. Can't wait for WWG Fair this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You never replied to my question on your previous thread about the book...is this kid appropriate? Would it be appropriate for a 10 year old to read?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry I must have missed it when it went down stream on BGG here! If I don't reply I'm not ignoring, just missing. So don't be afraid to ping me. I'll subscribe to this thread so it doesn't happen again on this one.

No sex, very mild violence like you'd see on Star Trek or Star Wars original trilogy. I did swear a little: said "damn" 3x and "hell" 9x over the course of the book upon a search, didn't use any words worse than that. I'd rate it PG based on that, as a parent myself I'd say it's fine for 10 but depends on how strict you are with the language there.

Thank you for your interest!

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Square
msg tools
I purchased the ebook for my Kindle and enjoying the story so far. It's fast paced and enjoyable, and the plot works well enough. My only issue is a minor scientific detail (explosive decompression?), but even then it doesn't derail my enjoyment.

Thanks to White Wizard Games and Jon Del Arroz for releasing this book. I love Star Realms, and despite the minimal flavor in the card game, it always sparked my imagination. There were plenty of tantalizing hints in the type of cards, and while playing he solo scenarios I liked to imagine that my own actions also affected a much larger universe. Through the blog short stories and now a novel, I can learn more of this game's setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
otomo jon wrote:
Sorry I must have missed it when it went down stream on BGG here! If I don't reply I'm not ignoring, just missing. So don't be afraid to ping me. I'll subscribe to this thread so it doesn't happen again on this one.

No sex, very mild violence like you'd see on Star Trek or Star Wars original trilogy. I did swear a little: said "damn" 3x and "hell" 9x over the course of the book upon a search, didn't use any words worse than that. I'd rate it PG based on that, as a parent myself I'd say it's fine for 10 but depends on how strict you are with the language there.

Thank you for your interest!

Jon

Thanks for responding with a detailed answe on what to expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for reading Mister Square! You're 100% right on the implosion, and I bent it for a more cinematic feel. Implosion can break something into bits and hurl pieces at the suit mask as Joan observed and we can call it an error in her non-scientific perspective

Here's the visual i was going for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK8dsAeMmPk

Had a great time signing at the WWG Fair this weekend. Will put up some pictures and do a write up on my blog later today, time permitting. I learned I am very much not even near as good at this game as I thought I was, got crushed!

Gatomon41 wrote:
I purchased the ebook for my Kindle and enjoying the story so far. It's fast paced and enjoyable, and the plot works well enough. My only issue is a minor scientific detail (explosive decompression?), but even then it doesn't derail my enjoyment.

Thanks to White Wizard Games and Jon Del Arroz for releasing this book. I love Star Realms, and despite the minimal flavor in the card game, it always sparked my imagination. There were plenty of tantalizing hints in the type of cards, and while playing he solo scenarios I liked to imagine that my own actions also affected a much larger universe. Through the blog short stories and now a novel, I can learn more of this game's setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otomo jon wrote:
Had a great time signing at the WWG Fair this weekend. Will put up some pictures and do a write up on my blog later today, time permitting. I learned I am very much not even near as good at this game as I thought I was, got crushed!

We had a good time crushing you and thanks for taking the tournament to the bar on Friday. Sorry that I did not get your book in time to have you sign it in person, but I did snag one of the copies that you had pre-signed. If you are ever in the Boston area again, we should hang out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Was an awesome time! Thank you for picking it up and I hope you enjoy it. I don't get out to east coast a lot but I will for sure be at GenCon next year and potentially Dragon*Con if the book get nominated for an award (hint! ).

In game I'm otomo. I try to reply to all challenges if I can! I did miss one last week, sorry whoever that was!

ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
[q="otomo jon"]Had a great time signing at the WWG Fair this weekend. Will put up some pictures and do a write up on my blog later today, time permitting. I learned I am very much not even near as good at this game as I thought I was, got crushed! /q]

We had a good time crushing you and thanks for taking the tournament to the bar on Friday. Sorry that I did not get your book in time to have you sign it in person, but I did snag one of the copies that you had pre-signed. If you are ever in the Boston area again, we should hang out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Square
msg tools
Got done with Rescue Run.

For me, this was interesting combination of Space Opera, Cyberpunk, and Spy thriller, Rescue Run goes fast and just keeps running. Our protagonists are caught up in a situation that's so beyond their control, they're on the edge most of the time. It's one of the few novels I actually felt the odds and tension for the characters, were each second and move could be their last.

Though its not a perfect work. The narration is direct and no-nonsense, lacking in colorful details. It works for telling the story and that's it. And the setting, well Star Realms (the game overall) is basically a general Space Opera. Most scifi fans would have seen most of the same characters and ideas present in Realms in many other works.

But where it lacks in originality, Star Realms does feel familiar and presents a playground of sorts. It has all the parts it needs for Epic Space Battles, each game presenting a new story. Every time I play the Dark Star Pirates solo, I like to imagine how each card leads to a new part of a tale. Rescue Run does feel like a part of that universe, that one of the many backstories going on while epic space battles are happening.

The book does deliver what I wanted from Star Realms for a while: a look into the setting in depth. Rescue Run provides a look into the life of a smuggler-turned-covert operative and a sheltered Corporate guy. It's their story that eventually adds up to an space operatic ending.

Like many space operas and RPGs, the characters are archetypal - which is fine, since even Star Wars uses these types. And there's enough there to make them stand out more than I expected. It's little things that add to the characters that make me enjoy them. My favorite character has to be Yui, a snarky fighter who shows that's there's more to her than we see at first. The AI nicknamed G.O.D. is my second favorite for some of the great moments in the book.

There is a romantic subplot, which the pull quote from Elizabeth Moon (!) gives away. For some their actions after certain revelations seem illogical, but love DOES make people do strange things. Just take a look at the news in the real world. Also, the characters involved actually do question their love - are they doing the right thing, are they getting played, or are they truly in love? Finally, a book that does that. Also the romance isn't intrusive and does help move the plot.

Another curious but welcome thing is that it does provide a look at various issues such as decadence and apathy. The Federation does have problems with its corporate mindset, the Empire's economy is too focused on defense that the economy does suffer. And the protagonists do see whats going on and react to it. I feel more connected to both story and main characters because of this. There's been times when I want to do the right thing, but either unable to because bureaucracy or people just not caring - not on such a drastic scale of course. That adds a dimension to the work.

On the ending (spoiler ahead)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Somewhat bittersweet, since my favorite character doesn't make it. I so wanted to see Yui in another story I actually felt sad about that, though at least it was while fighting to save the day. Props to Del Arroz to get me to care about her so much.

Overall for a Tie-in Novel I liked it - the pace is fast, the story well done, and the characters archetypal yet interesting enough. It's not Asimov or Cordwainer Smith - but it is a novel that fleshes out the setting of Star Realms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for reading Mister Square! I appreciate all of your thoughts and taking the time to write it up. I hope this isn't imposing, but if you'd post that up on amazon as a review I'd really appreciate it as well. Amazon reviews help for visibility
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Square
msg tools
Sure, I could do an abridged version of my review, as to avoid spoiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.