Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: why_I_don't_preorder [+] [View All]
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had that happen with them even though I have had several preorders where the price went up before delivery.

What game was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not a scam -- at least according to their rep on BGG.

What game if you don't mind me asking??? Always 2 sides of the story, but from what I can tell your story is not common and CSI usually makes good -- but of course problems/situations do come up.

I do agree with you, if it was sold then the price should be honored.

Edit: Also be prepared, CSI is THE online shop for a good portion of people here. I understand problems do come up and CSI almost always handles it very well [as best as they can] but sometimes people/companies have a bad day or out. Curious on the outcome here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like they had a price of $27.49 on it. How much had you paid and how much more did they want you to pay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
It sometimes happens that a store is misquoted a price by their distributor or a game company or whatever.

It sucks, but there isn't really a great way to resolve it.

If other companies are selling the game cheaper, buy from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coolstuff is pretty fantastic, no problems for me. Could be a special circumstance. The pricing information would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been placing at least 1 or 2 orders per month with them for several years (usually 3 - 5 games per order). I haven't had a single problem with them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
A pre-order is basically a deposit put towards a game. this does not guarantee the price .

Here is the pre-order policy found on there website

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/979

Have to read the fine print before agreeing to the terms soblue So , nothing shady happening, just lack of information it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoolStuffInc pre-order policy straight from their website:

Quote:
Pre-Order Policy
CoolStuffInc.com uses a number of distributors instead of relying on a single distributor to get product on time. We will always attempt to fill each and every order. For reasons beyond our control delays, augmentations, or cancellations may be necessary.

In situations where manufacturers release product in waves or partial quantities we will ship the oldest pre-orders first. Orders ship in the order that they are placed, i.e. oldest orders are shipped first.

All pre-orders require full payment at the time the pre-order is placed. If the customer wishes to change or cancel their pre-order before shipment, we will refund the full amount paid. We reserve the right to cancel any orders for any reason at any time. If we need to cancel an order we will email the customer, but are under no obligation to obtain permission or acknowledgement, prior to cancellation.

We reserve the right to change our prices at any time. Sets, and other products that we assemble, do not have a guaranteed pre-order price. If a price increase occurs we will notify you via email. If we do not receive a response we will cancel your order, refunding the full amount paid.

Communication is very important to us; please contact us if you have any questions.
[my emphasis]

Looks like they complied with their policy.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/979
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is cheaper elsewhere, move on.

They are under no obligation to sell you a game at a loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They are under no obligation to sell you a game at a loss.

I wonder, though, if someone were to look at the law, they would reach a different conclusion.

What is a "pre-order" anyway? I'm not a lawyer, but I imagine the definition differs from state to state. Is it just an offer to buy the product at a later date or an actual completed sale at the agreed upon price?

CSI's policy might mean nothing up against Florida regulations.

Nobody is going to pursue this over a game, but I wonder what the legal principle is here.

They might indeed have a obligation to sell at the agreed upon price if that pre-order is seen as a completed sale rather than an offer to buy in the future. Again, their own policy is meaningless if Florida law differs.

At any rate, I've never had this happen in all the years I've pre-ordered. The price has gone down a few times, but never up.

CSI will probably change this if MM or Cardhaus cuts more into their business. They are all so close now, it doesn't take much to chase a customer to one of the other guys.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
anothereternity wrote:

Makes me wonder if all of their pre-orders are listed low (all listed show pre-order marked down 30-50% of full price) with the intention of charging customers more later.

You know the answer to that. Don't be a goofball.

You have your speculation and condolences from us.

Ask THEM what happened. They can probably give you some kind of explanation. We can only guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO ,actually putting money down on a purchase is not a completed sale, but more of a placeholder showing your interest in purchasing the item.
You would have to actually have the item in hand before the sale is considered complete/completed transaction.
But it is stated in there policy, and you agree on this policy whenever you initiate the sale/transaction. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

There are not many companies that offer pre-order guarantees , Amazon does on a few items.
Even miniature market will cancel your order in the case of a price difference.

"Miniature Market reserves the right to cancel any orders containing pricing errors, with no further obligations to you, even after an order confirmation has been received. In the case of a pricing error Miniature Market will contact you via email regarding the error and will process a full refund for the order. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sallay
msg tools
mbmb
I think it can go both ways. Let's just say that instead of $14, it was listed for 1 penny because of a software error or some other issue. Would you complain if you completed the purchase and then they came back and said that they can't honor the price because they would be losing a lot of money and it was due to an error?

What if the positions were reversed and they put the pre-order price at $50, which yet again is due to some system error. You purchase the game and then find out that they later fixed the error and the price is now lower. Would you demand that they give you the difference back?

I don't know you personally and I won't judge how you would respond, but most people would demand the lower price in both cases, which I don't think is fair or logically consistent.

Pricing can be difficult and mistakes can be made. My experience with CSI is that they have great prices on most products. It is frustrating when this happens, but they gave you the recourse of a full refund, which I think is actually an excellent business practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolvehunde
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, It was nice that they give you the chance to still purchase the game, which may or may not be available later if they would just cancel your order and give your money back.

I have never had a problem with any of the big online retailers (fingers crossed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Silveira
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a scam unless they are not giving you the choice to either refund what you've already paid or offer to send you the once you have paid the difference.

CSI has always been solid with me. There may have been issues at times, but they have always worked to solve those situations quickly and pleasantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Silveira
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norman is right! You should consider yourself lucky, most places would have just cancelled your order and you'd out of luck if the item was sold out elsewhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most businesses suck it up and accept the shelf price even if it may be wrong. It's up to the business to keep their prices up to date, not the buyer. That said, their policy allows them to do damn near anything with preorders.

They have had dubious pricing in the past. They're usually pretty good about being a seller, but they've pulled some BS in the past and some BGGers applauded them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sallay
msg tools
mbmb
anothereternity wrote:
They offered a pre-order price and then are now offering me the purchase I already made at full price? That does seem shady. The price they are offering is their FULL price they currently list, not a pre-order price. They didn't say any reason, just that it wasn't the right price please pay this much or we'll cancel your order. They did this a FULL TWO WEEKS later, which makes me think it wasn't an error, they just decided they wanted to charge more.

I don't know if pre-orders are offered elsewhere as I stopped looking once I placed an order I thought was legit.

I have NEVER had this come up before. In fact I've placed orders before where they offered me the lower price when it was wrong. Every store I buy games from offers pre-order discounts which is why I pre-order. Their price is much higher than expected and for all I know I've now missed the opportunity to pre-order elsewhere which sucks!

Sharon,

It may be more complicated than just an error on their part. For example, the distributor may have said that they will sell them the game for $10. CSI decided they could sell it for $14. Two weeks later, the distributor came back and said, we made a mistake ( or the publisher did) and we have to sell it to you for $20. Now CSI has to decide to take a $6 loss on every pre-order or bug all of their customers about the price difference. It's not a fun position to be in. CSI could tell the distributor that they won't carry the game, but then they would have to cancel all of the pre-orders.

Note that this is not a hypothetical scenario. It happens all of the time, usually the distributor price difference is small and the store just eats the difference, but sometimes it represents a big loss. If the game went from $14 to $28. I'm guessing that their cost to get the game doubled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others said, while it sucks, they it least gave you the opportunity to pay the difference. I've had companies cancel my order and then sale out before I can reorder.

But i think they had a site issue. I noticed that Risk:Europe was listed at $27.xx and i was really interested in getting the pre-order, but I didn't have a date and i didn't want to hold up my planned order. when i went backa few days later the pre-order had jumped to $37.xx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Industry rule number four thousand and eighty, Coolstuffinc is SHADY!?!
So kids watch you back,
cause I think they smoke crack,
I don't doubt it,
look at how they act.

(Disclaimer: the above comment is not about CSI. Sorry I couldn't resist the urge to break out into song when I saw the thread title.)

On topic: Sorry to hear this. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Up
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
anothereternity wrote:
They offered a pre-order price and then are now offering me the purchase I already made at full price? That does seem shady. The price they are offering is their FULL price they currently list, not a pre-order price. They didn't say any reason, just that it wasn't the right price please pay this much or we'll cancel your order. They did this a FULL TWO WEEKS later, which makes me think it wasn't an error, they just decided they wanted to charge more.

I don't know if pre-orders are offered elsewhere as I stopped looking once I placed an order I thought was legit.

I have NEVER had this come up before. In fact I've placed orders before where they offered me the lower price when it was wrong. Every store I buy games from offers pre-order discounts which is why I pre-order. Their price is much higher than expected and for all I know I've now missed the opportunity to pre-order elsewhere which sucks!

Best thing to make you happiest moving forward is just use a different retailer from here on out. I personally recommend Miniature Market, but as someone stated earlier, they have a similar pre-order policy so no guarantees that they won't do the same thing. Look around and see what other retailers catch your interest and use them as your place of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why won't retailers sell to me at a loss? WHY?!?!?!?!?!!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan benton
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definitely bad business. The price listed is the price they're selling the game for. You agreed and paid that price. Your end of the transaction is done. Now you just wait until they send you the game. If there was no mention of "putting money down" as others have mentioned, then it's the purchase price. Selling it at a loss is their fault. They shouldn't advertise a product at a specific price if they aren't willing to sell it at that price. I've preordered tons of products online and the prices often go up before they're released, you know what price I end up paying? The original f*cking price I agreed upon. If you think it should operate any differently, you're crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
dylectric wrote:
This is definitely bad business. The price listed is the price they're selling the game for. You agreed and paid that price. Your end of the transaction is done. Now you just wait until they send you the game. If there was no mention of "putting money down" as others have mentioned, then it's the purchase price. Selling it at a loss is their fault. They shouldn't advertise a product at a specific price if they aren't willing to sell it at that price. I've preordered tons of products online and the prices often go up before they're released, you know what price I end up paying? The original f*cking price I agreed upon. If you think it should operate any differently, you're crazy.

I mean . . . you can run a game store any way you want, I guess.

Make whatever policies you want.

CSI (and others) choose to have certain policies about preorders. They're relatively successful.

Like, if your world view was the only way they could operate, they wouldn't offer preorders.

They have no control over whatever policies or changes game companies make between the original distributor ads and the final product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McMurray

Chickopee
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anothereternity wrote:

Makes me wonder if all of their pre-orders are listed low (all listed show pre-order marked down 30-50% of full price) with the intention of charging customers more later.

Oh, yes... that is why they are such a popular, revered business - because they intentionally try to pull shit like this.

Move on. Buy it elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.