Kellen Feral
United States
Los Angeles - Mar Vista
California
flag msg tools
One Eternal Round
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Not a new gamer at all. Didn't see a convo about the starter setup describing which territories to include in setup and which to allow to come out during the game.

For seasoned gamers, should we ignore this?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
The starter setup puts territories with straightforward effects out to start, and puts the more complicated/weird ones at the bottom of the stack. It just makes the game a little easier to wrap your brain around the first time through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Feral
United States
Los Angeles - Mar Vista
California
flag msg tools
One Eternal Round
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
The starter setup puts territories with straightforward effects out to start, and puts the more complicated/weird ones at the bottom of the stack. It just makes the game a little easier to wrap your brain around the first time through.

Do you think it makes the game any less good? IE if we are experienced should we skip this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
lanfearl wrote:
Ah_Pook wrote:

Do you think it makes the game any less good? IE if we are experienced should we skip this?

Nope! We set it up like this for our first game and it went well. The game was still deep and fun and the advantages were still important. Valley is very good. After all, this is a configuration that could just happen by itself.

If you don't want to go the whole hog you can start with the recommended tiles out, but not put the pile of tiles in any particular order.

On the other hand if you are experienced board gamers I see nothing wrong with skipping it either. The main reason for this is to have less to wrap your head around to begin with. Just as fun, though. Either way to play is fine and I don't think you need to worry about it unduly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McKittrick
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't think you need to follow the starter guide though... The second game I played, with two new people, we used random map tiles, and it absolutely wasn't overwhelming at all. And the second game, not necessarily because of the random tiles, was vastly more enjoyable.

Either way is fine, but don't worry about it being too complicated if you decide to use the random tiles. The game itself is so simple to understand anyway.

Inis is a really great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Holly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I agree with everyone here - the recommended starter setup simply makes things a bit more straightforward. No lack of depth or interesting effects though. Once you have played a few rounds, just wait til you see Gates of Tir na Nog

A couple things about tiles:

1) Don't write off the card effects as useless when you first see them, like I did with Cove. Each effect can be VERY strong given the right context. Just like regular action cards.

2) Valley. I've played five times with Valley on the starting setup, and all five games it's been made the capital and fought over heavily. Anyone else experience this? It's just a very easy way to get more dudes out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Carlson
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I doubt it would be too complicated, but some of the more extreme effects can alter gameplay significantly. My second game, the capital was placed on the mountain tile and it turned that game on it's head. May want to start with the bland ones to get a more representative Inis experience the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.