Subject: unable to use '.' in Price Paid field rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to set the price under
My Games -> Private Info -> Price Paid
to EUR 9.99

That does not work. It seems impossible to set a price with a '.' in it. No error message will be generated, but the value will not be saved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
to EUR 9.99

That does not work. It seems impossible to set a price with a '.' in it. No error message will be generated, but the value will not be saved.

Interesting; it works OK for me. I just tried it even with EUR 9.99 specifically. Navigated away to a different game, then returned to the first game and it still had the EUR 9.99 I'd entered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for checking.
I can use ',' to achieve what I want. I save 9,99 and 9.99 will be displayed. This is a new behavior for me.

I use Firefox 49 under Ubuntu with German keyboard layout. The dot does not work for me. If I remember correctly the comma was used like 1,000.00 €, but I'm not so sure about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
to EUR 9.99

This may be some sort of country specific behavior.

In US a "." denotes the decimal place and a "," separates 3 orders of magnitude.

In Europe (all countries ?) a "," denotes the decimal place and a "." separates 3 orders of magnitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is the case. However, the difference in input and display is a bit confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
jorl wrote:
to EUR 9.99

It should work. I do it all the time using GBP. I tried just now with EUR and it works fine.

herace wrote:

In US a "." denotes the decimal place and a "," separates 3 orders of magnitude.
Same as the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
This may be some sort of country specific behavior.

But then I'd expect me (in Poland) to see the same behavior as jorl; however, I did not.

I wonder if it might somehow be some kind of browser-specific or computer/OS-specific issue at jorl's end. Could be worth trying with a different browser or computer if possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens KH
Germany
Karben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the same issue.

A browser can advertise a preferred locale which a web site can then use to present the data in the user's preferred format (or ignore).

And if you tell your browser "English first, please" it works as expected.

That BGG apparently uses the locale for input but not output, and not consistently for input (e.g., the dot still works fine in the marketplace) is a little inconvenient and confusing, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.