Subject: Defense rolls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you have to declare you are spending a gem to roll for defense before the attack roll is made or can you wait?

I play that you can wait until after attack, but have been told otherwise. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sr Perro
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the defender decides once the attacker has finished rolling and rerolling his dice:

1) Attacker declare the attack.
2) (Only for heroes) Attacker assign the number of gems to the attack
3) Attacker roll the dice
4) Attacker made free re-rolls, if any.
5) Attacker can spend gems to get more re-rolls
6) Defender decide if he would guard (Active defence)
6.1) If so, Defender assign the number of gems to the guard action
7) Defender roll the dice
8) Defender made the free re-rolls, if any.
9) Defender can spend gems to get more re-rolls

So, you are playing right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Ruiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
There's a passage in the rulebook that says you first determine Attack Power (which is the final result of Attack roll) before paying gems for Defense. Don't have book in front of me but I'm sure someone here can pull it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
What I thought. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A related question... From my reading of the rules, the guard action and armor defense are two separate steps in the combat sequence. I have played that you first roll (and re-roll) the dice for your guard action and then roll the dice for armor. But I haven't seen this mentioned in any thread. Is that wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
GSReis wrote:
A related question... From my reading of the rules, the guard action and armor defense are two separate steps in the combat sequence. I have played that you first roll (and re-roll) the dice for your guard action and then roll the dice for armor. But I haven't seen this mentioned in any thread. Is that wrong?

All guard/defense dice are rolled at once including the armor dice. This was confirmed by Monolith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jones
United States
Kennett Square
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:
GSReis wrote:

All guard/defense dice are rolled at once including the armor dice. This was confirmed by Monolith.

Could you please link to this confirmation. I shared the same assumption as GSReis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJ Beyonday wrote:
Abbath wrote:

Could you please link to this confirmation. I shared the same assumption as GSReis.

As i recall, it was posted in the Monolith-specific forums, which don't enable linking to specific comments, and then copy/pasted in these forums by (IIRC) Andi.

The French edition does not separate the Guard/Armor into two separate pools/rolls, which is all the confirmation we really need, as those are the native rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
The French edition does not separate the Guard/Armor into two separate pools/rolls, which is all the confirmation we really need, as those are the native rules.

Correct, when defending yourself (guard) you roll the number of dice given by the number of gems you spend + you add eventually your weapon or shield bonus (if you've got one'em) + you add eventually the die given by your armor (passive defense).

Example : I'am Conan (ho yeah !!), I've got a battle axe, a shield and a leather armor.

If I choose to guard an attack with 2 gems, I roll 2 orange dice + 1 bonus yellow die given by the shield - all of this is my active defense (guard) + 1 yellow die given by the armor (my passive defense).

If I choose to not defend myself (with the same equipment), I only roll the yellow die given by the armor (passive defense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StefanK
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

This makes me mad on Monolith. How can they write that Guard and Armour rolls have to be made separately, while the French rulebook states differently? The English rulebook is very messy and difficult to read (the fonts used are really bad). I really hope the new version of the rulebook is going to address all bakers'/customers' concerns indicated on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.