United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I've assembled a list of books on Amazon that I found to be very useful. Books are in order of most valuable (bottom of list) to least valuable (top of the list). Counterintuitive, I know... Realized it too late.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2QV9KY2ILHY4B/re...

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Teoro
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I heard an interview with this author last night. I am not sure how informative it will be for the game, but my interest in the book was piqued - The Earth Is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West by Peter Cozzens (I have a few of his books, and I respect him as a historian and author)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307958043/ref=ox_sc_sfl_t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A pretty good read is Glenn Frankel's book about the background to the John Wayne film "The Searchers" - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1620400650/ref=pd_bxgy_14_...

The first part gives a brief historical introduction to the Comanches and then covers the kidnapping and subsequent life of Cynthia Ann Parker.

The second part relates the story of Cynthia's son: Quanah Parker (star of the Comanchería box cover).

The final two parts deal with the author of the novel (Alan Le May) and the film's director, John Ford.

Worth investigating if you're a fan of the film and interested in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
7eat51 wrote:
Thanks.

I heard an interview with this author last night. I am not sure how informative it will be for the game, but my interest in the book was piqued - The Earth Is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West by Peter Cozzens (I have a few of his books, and I respect him as a historian and author)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307958043/ref=ox_sc_sfl_t...

I just saw this book earlier this week. It's in my reading list. Right now I'm working on game #3 in the series. This might be helpful.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Morlino
United States
Mars
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I recommend "the captured" by zesch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
[q="7eat51"] Right now I'm working on game #3 in the series. This might be helpful.

-Joel

I was hoping you were going to say this. I remember you said the same after Navajo Wars was released and we were enjoying the system.

Hmm...trying to guess which tribe is next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel mentioned on CSW that the third game would be about Red Cloud's War. It was a while back though; plans may have changed. So we'd be looking at Lakota, (Northern) Cheyenne and (Northern) Arapaho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R C
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Joel,

Thanks for doing this. Would love to see more designers offer a reading list up before the game is due. Builds excitement! Hopefully I can squeeze one of these in before the game arrives.

Ryan C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this, Joel. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Blood and Thunder after you recommended that for NW. I will definitely look forwarding to reading some of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Correll
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I purchased the movie "The Searchers" a while back just to see the beautiful scenery. It's a nice film and looks great on a big screen, but sadly it isn't Oklahoma, Texas panhandle or the plains of eastern Colorado. I wish a great cinematographer would shoot the film using realistic scenery instead of stylized scenery. If you look close enough, these areas are just as beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the list, Joel. I got my copy of Comancheria punched and organized last night and look forward to seeing what it has to offer.

If anyone wants to read a decent novel that ties into all of this, I can recommend Philipp Meyer's "The Son."

https://www.amazon.com/Son-Philipp-Meyer-ebook/dp/B009NF6YLM...

Happy gaming, all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn, none of Joel's suggested books are available at my library on audio book. Another user mentioned reading "Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History" (what a title!) and that's available, so I've got it reserved!

Looking forward to it, as "Blood and Thunder" was an excellent way to get into NW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.