Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am creating a game that uses dice that are Orange, Purple, and Green. Other than changing the colors, what other mechanics do people prefer? On the cards that indicate the dice a certain item or character uses for example, we have considered putting the first letter of the color in the dice. So if the weapon allows you to roll a Green dice for example, inside the Green dice we would put a G.

Just not sure how aesthetically pleasing this solution is. Don't want it to mess up the vibe. What are other ways people have made games color-blind friendly?

Thanks!

Here's an example card with a green dice and orange dice on it. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phillip wilson
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not always telling something like the individual token apart, but matching the symbol on cards to the similar but different shades of the tokens. I can't tell if there are different colors in the cube row. If it is that the cube row is green dice and the 2nd starburst row is orange, then the different symbols work. Its just knowing the legend. It the dice will have dramatically different symbols, then thats easy. A small GOP on the dice like the mice and mystic numbers cant hurt, but probably isn't necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight.

The two dice are both on the top line. They have the same icon (Both a 3D looking dice) but one is green and one is orange. I am thinking of possibly putting a O or G on them to help but not sure how that would look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What are the differences on the dice themselves, because that might help to determine how best to organize them.

If I can't tell the difference between the colors, putting the letter there is just going to make me think "G-die, why is it called a G-die?" and just point out that I can't see colors if someone explains it to me.

If the dice are a progression of better rolling dice, I'd rather see the dice with rank numbers, like I-die, II-die, III-die. Or if they are specialized to certain uses Range-die, Damage-die, Defense-die with logical icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ry
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked out Tiny Epic Galaxies
They designed it for colour blind people. It might give some inspiration
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Enns
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pavestal wrote:
I am creating a game that uses dice that are Orange, Purple, and Green. Other than changing the colors, what other mechanics do people prefer? On the cards that indicate the dice a certain item or character uses for example, we have considered putting the first letter of the color in the dice. So if the weapon allows you to roll a Green dice for example, inside the Green dice we would put a G.

Just not sure how aesthetically pleasing this solution is. Don't want it to mess up the vibe. What are other ways people have made games color-blind friendly?

Thanks!

For me there is no color difference between the green and orange dice in your sample, they are the exact same color. Ticket to Ride does a really nice job with their symbols and another thing that you may consider is if a color is a progression of combination of two, then make it larger ( Fresco does a magnificent job of this with their primary, secondary and tertiary color sized cubes ). I have no issues with the colors in Fresco as I know which colors make which so blue is the smallest cube and purple is a much larger cube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
terrangray wrote:
Have you checked out Tiny Epic Galaxies
They designed it for colour blind people. It might give some inspiration

I definitely will! Thanks for the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:
What are the differences on the dice themselves, because that might help to determine how best to organize them.

If I can't tell the difference between the colors, putting the letter there is just going to make me think "G-die, why is it called a G-die?" and just point out that I can't see colors if someone explains it to me.

If the dice are a progression of better rolling dice, I'd rather see the dice with rank numbers, like I-die, II-die, III-die. Or if they are specialized to certain uses Range-die, Damage-die, Defense-die with logical icons.

Good point. They do in fact progress in terms of probability from Orange to Green to Purple. They are all used for attack and defense but ranking them could work. I might have to indicate that on the dice somehow which concerns me, but I suppose people could figure it out on their own as well. Just trying to make it as self-explanatory as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
syliconslycer wrote:
Pavestal wrote:

Thanks!

For me there is no color difference between the green and orange dice in your sample, they are the exact same color. Ticket to Ride does a really nice job with their symbols and another thing that you may consider is if a color is a progression of combination of two, then make it larger ( Fresco does a magnificent job of this with their primary, secondary and tertiary color sized cubes ). I have no issues with the colors in Fresco as I know which colors make which so blue is the smallest cube and purple is a much larger cube.

Good to know that you can't tell the difference. That's what I was afraid of. I will check out Fresca.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
A quick, "clever" solution could be to tilt the cubes shown in the icons such that three sides can be seen, and simply make one side opaque. Your instructions could note that the icon with the top panel opaque is Orange, the one with the left panel is Green, and the one with the right panel is Purple.

If the green and orange dice being themselves indistinguishable is a problem, it could be cost effective to simply do one with light-colored pips and one with dark (green w/ white pips, orange w/ black, purple w/ yellow or gold).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you upload your image here, you can see how it looks for people with varying degrees of colour-blindness. http://www.color-blindness.com/coblis1-color-blindness-simul...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Running with the Fresco idea, you could make the dice different sizes, which also allows players to feel the power of the upgrade. Small die, medium die, big die. "I have three big dice, you're in trouble."

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) also uses different die with different colors indicated on the cards, so you may wish to look at the pallet they used as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pavestal wrote:

Thanks!

Hiya, I'm red green colour blind and at first thought, I can see the difference between the top line and the middle line. I would request brighter contrasting colours as I can't see the difference of the two colours on the top line.

It would be unplayable for me as it is, sorry.

All the best,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.